S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Official Found a Rattle Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 03:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by charada1
Originally Posted by S2k007' timestamp='1299834039' post='20352707
My wind deflector buzzes/rattles at certain speeds, or if I go over certain bumps. Its very irritating but I don't know which part of it is causing the buzz. If I hold it down, the buzzing stops. I tried laying it down but it makes no difference. Anyone have any idea?
I have the exact same buzz. I'm running an invidia n1 and test pipe. only on acceleration at about 2500-3k rpm is it making the BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. and its driving me insane. I literally have my hand on top of it half the time. I'm not sure if its the wind deflector a loose upper center console... did you happen to find a fix?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
It is not the wind blocker, it is the soft top tray. I tried lots of stuff to stop it from buzzing with no luck. Buzzing finally stopped when I took it out and left it out for my hard dog install, lol....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-07-2013, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wait.. the why does it stop buzzing when I hold down the wind blocker?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2013, 08:23 PM

I get a rattle where the latch hooks on to the soft-top. I'm hoping that its coming from some loose nut under the plastic around the front windshield frame and not the latch mechanism itself, because the frame can be removed relatively easy. There is a video of a guy replacing the OEM catchers with hardtop catchers, it might be useful if you want to get in there to check if there is any loose screws.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk270jaF1zI
Old 05-15-2013, 03:20 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Had a rattle that seemed to be right next to my left ear when i was driving. It was one of the nuts that holds the door handle and the support rod thing attached to it. The other nut on the door handle assembly was a little loose too. So happy it's gone!
Old 05-31-2013, 02:18 PM

Fixed a huge rattle I had coming from exhaust today. Make sure the three point exhaust hangar used on the middle of the Berk exhaust is on a long side and not a short one. It causes a ping from being too close and hitting the cv axle cups over bumps.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Found a rattle fixed a rattle!

I had an really bad metallic rasping rattle when I was accelerating or decelerating between 3000rpm to 4000rpm and again at 5000rpm to about 6000rpm. The rattle seemed to be coming from the exhaust / just to the rear of the drivers seat. Also a rattle when i went over bumps that sounded like metal hitting metal.

I checked all my exhaust hanger and found nothing.

Today I had the car on a ramp and found all of the bolds bar one rivet loose or missing from my manifold heat shield, 10 minutes later with missing bolts replaced and loose ones replaced for new and tightened the car is as silent as a graveyard.

I hope this helps anyone else with the same rattle, it drove me NUTS!

Cheers

Mike
Old 06-12-2013, 01:54 PM

I have had this sort of noise come and go.. Thanks for the post I will check mine out.

Originally Posted by mikefifth
Found a rattle fixed a rattle!

I had an really bad metallic rasping rattle when I was accelerating or decelerating between 3000rpm to 4000rpm and again at 5000rpm to about 6000rpm. The rattle seemed to be coming from the exhaust / just to the rear of the drivers seat. Also a rattle when i went over bumps that sounded like metal hitting metal.

I checked all my exhaust hanger and found nothing.

Today I had the car on a ramp and found all of the bolds bar one rivet loose or missing from my manifold heat shield, 10 minutes later with missing bolts replaced and loose ones replaced for new and tightened the car is as silent as a graveyard.

I hope this helps anyone else with the same rattle, it drove me NUTS!

Cheers

Mike
Old 06-19-2013, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by freetors
I have an extremely annoying creaking coming from my rear suspension when I go over uneven roads slowly. I tried spraying every pivot point with teflon spray and that didn't work. Next, I took off the lower control arms and cleaned them up, repainted them, and greased the bolts up. The creaking went away for all of about two days

Why did Honda have to use this stupid bushing design that can't be greased up at all and introduces binding?
Can that creaking noise be a warning of something about to fail? I have basically the same creak, but only on the passenger side rear. car is 03 with 60k miles, it was in an accident, some of the damage was to that side but higher and behind the wheel well (rim was untouched). It originally had coilovers, i replaced those with a stock set from an AP2. Nothing back there appeared bent or cracked. The creak happens when a passenger is getting in or out or when turning into or out of a driveway at an angle at slow speeds. It does not occur while taking hard corners as far as i can tell, nor does it happen if i go into a driveway straight. Car tracks straight, steering wheel is centered, no pulls under braking or acceleration. planning on taking it to a suspension shop when i can get some time off work.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sk8za
Originally Posted by freetors' timestamp='1341626725' post='21840300
I have an extremely annoying creaking coming from my rear suspension when I go over uneven roads slowly. I tried spraying every pivot point with teflon spray and that didn't work. Next, I took off the lower control arms and cleaned them up, repainted them, and greased the bolts up. The creaking went away for all of about two days

Why did Honda have to use this stupid bushing design that can't be greased up at all and introduces binding?
Can that creaking noise be a warning of something about to fail? I have basically the same creak, but only on the passenger side rear. car is 03 with 60k miles, it was in an accident, some of the damage was to that side but higher and behind the wheel well (rim was untouched). It originally had coilovers, i replaced those with a stock set from an AP2. Nothing back there appeared bent or cracked. The creak happens when a passenger is getting in or out or when turning into or out of a driveway at an angle at slow speeds. It does not occur while taking hard corners as far as i can tell, nor does it happen if i go into a driveway straight. Car tracks straight, steering wheel is centered, no pulls under braking or acceleration. planning on taking it to a suspension shop when i can get some time off work.
please update with your findings. someone backed into me and since you mentioned it thats when i started getting the noise. let me know what you find
Old 06-26-2013, 05:44 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I have the same noise also from the drivers side rear, started after a very heavy downpour. Going to buy a can of spray grease and hit each bolt one at a time then drive and see if it makes a difference (leaning towards worn end links)