S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil change with a fluid extractor

Old 08-22-2018, 03:11 AM
sgt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil change with a fluid extractor

What are your thoughts using one to do a oil change on my 2003. Don't use one on my Taco but this car being so low and me having a hard time getting on the ground, I would like to do this method. I can reach my filter from above. Used search some say yes some say
no. I had to use it on my Yamaha jet boat Help me out otherwise have to go to the dealer. Thanks George ps If I do it I use the dipstick opening ?
Old 08-22-2018, 04:11 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Are you having difficulty locating a jack that will fit under the car, or just not able to get down under the car any longer? There's quite a few excellent racing jacks and low profile jacks that people on the forum use, and a fumoto oil drain valve works particularly well on the S due to our drain plug placement keeping the valve up and out of the way of the road. A fumoto valve makes it so you don't even have to put a wrench on the car. The other issue you could run into, assuming you're even able to get a vacuum into the engine, is that you will not get the debris that collects in the bottom of the pan... as we all know, these motors are quite sensitive to all kinds of "out of spec" situations, and shavings in the pan can just make so many things exponentially worse. Just to sum up, I'd advise heavily against it, but I'm sure there are others on the forum that could give you better input on them.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:19 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

I've been doing it for years on all my engines where I change my own oil ranging from inboard boat engines thru lawn equipment to the S2000. Getting ready to extract the oil from my pressure washer next month. Honda engine, of course. There was a news article posted (here) last year regarding a large Honda dealer on the East Side of Cleveland using oil extraction for this purpose. There is always oil remaining in the engine unless you tear it down so all drain method leave some old oil.

The only way to get to the oil drain plug on my inboard boat engine was to pull the engine and paying a mechanic to change it resulted in him bringing an extractor pump. Cost me more for his labor than buying my own pump! 12vDC powered, not one of the $15 Harbor Freight pumps though.

-- Chuck
Old 08-22-2018, 04:29 AM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Thanks for asking this question because I purchased a hand powered fluid pump and the manual/instructions state that it can be used to extract engine oil as well as refill engine/gearbox/diff oils. Seems like a convenient way to do my next oil change (not that I have any problem with getting to the drain bolt underneath my engine). My only question is, how long would it take to pump out the old oil (5L +) using this little tool...? Apparently I can stop pumping it once the fluid/oil starts flowing through the intake and out the despatch tubes...
Old 08-22-2018, 05:10 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Top siders for life, I got one for Mercedes, and I just started using it for everything, except these new cars that don't have dipsticks :/

They sell ones with measuring lines so you see how much oil you pulled from the sump, so you can put in the same amount back in. I have a Fumoto valve on my S and I haven't touched it in over a year.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:29 AM

Received 1,561 Likes on 927 Posts

I use a Fumoto Valve (the real deal, not the look alike) on all of my vehicles. Works great for the S because you don't go underneath the car. You do an oil change from the engine bay. I just slide a disposable chafing aluminum pan on top of my drip pan under the car to catch the oil. I can close the valve anytime to keep the oil from overflowing the pan and pour it in my container for recycling. Close the valve, replace the filter, refill and you are done.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:09 AM

Received 207 Likes on 187 Posts

What model number do we use? Not sure if they’re different but I would be looking for what fits an AP1.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:30 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

My aim with any oil drain plug is dismal. Never goes where I expect it to go. I don't trust taps (vs bolts) either despite significant experience here that the Fumoto is fine -- just me.

-- Chuck
Old 08-22-2018, 11:05 AM

Received 1,561 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Birdybog
What model number do we use? Not sure if they’re different but I would be looking for what fits an AP1.
Amazon and/or Fumoto have several different models you select for your specific car. If your aim is not great (Chuck S) you can get one with a nipple so you can attach a short piece of plastic tube. You can then perfectly fill oil quart bottles or any other container you wish.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:12 PM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Birdybog
F106. You need the adapter too. ADP-106
The following users liked this post:
Birdybog (08-22-2018)

Quick Reply: Oil change with a fluid extractor