S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil filter question

Old 11-28-2018, 05:35 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I have a Fumoto Valve as well, I use a shallow pan that I bought from WalMart a few years ago.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:41 PM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
Could you post a link to that pan you use?
Do you mean that after cracking the oil filter a bit the oil in the filter will be pulled into the vehicle oil pan?
It's the FloTool Less Mess Short Pan.

Hopkins FloTool 05080 Less Mess Oil Drain https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KFX4NM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_fa1.Bb2TST4FA

and yes, breaking the torque on the oil filter, if you back it off ever so slightly, air seeps in breaking the hydraulic vacuum, allowing the oil to drain to the engine oil pan - out the drain into the drain pan.
The following users liked this post:
rpg51 (12-01-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 05:48 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckoz
It's the FloTool Less Mess Short Pan.

Hopkins FloTool 05080 Less Mess Oil Drain https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KFX4NM..._fa1.Bb2TST4FA

and yes, breaking the torque on the oil filter, if you back it off ever so slightly, air seeps in breaking the hydraulic vacuum, allowing the oil to drain to the engine oil pan - out the drain into the drain pan.
Thank you. This is interesting. My cars are in hibernation so I can't try this until spring. But, in the past I have ended up with a bit of a mess with an oil filter full of oil to deal with.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:01 PM

Thank you. This is interesting. My cars are in hibernation so I can't try this until spring. But, in the past I have ended up with a bit of a mess with an oil filter full of oil to deal with.
Tip... try it a couple times before draining. So you can figure out how much to back it off to not spill out, but allow enough air in during a 10 minute "drain" time to break the vacuum. If you try and fail, start the car for a moment and then turn it off and do it again. Once you figure out how much to back it off(take note of the numbers to clock it) remember the amount of turns for next time. ​​​​​​and go ahead drain..

Last edited by Deckoz; 11-28-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Deckoz
Tip... try it a couple times before draining. So you can figure out how much to back it off to not spill out, but allow enough air in during a 10 minute "drain" time to break the vacuum. If you try and fail, start the car for a moment and then turn it off and do it again. Once you figure out how much to back it off(take note of the numbers to clock it) remember the amount of turns for next time. ​​​​​​and go ahead drain..
Do I understand correctly, the idea is to allow some air to pass between the oil filter rubber gasket and the block while the engine oil pan is draining? So the oil in the filter runs out of the filter into the engine while you are draining the engine oil?
Old 11-29-2018, 03:22 AM

Do I understand correctly, the idea is to allow some air to pass between the oil filter rubber gasket and the block while the engine oil pan is draining? So the oil in the filter runs out of the filter into the engine while you are draining the engine oil?
thats correct@rpg51 just like poking a hole in a straw...

Last edited by Deckoz; 11-29-2018 at 03:26 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:15 AM

Received 1,563 Likes on 929 Posts

Could you post a link to that pan you use? I have a Fumoto too. What do you use for a pan to receive the drain oil that fits under car? I end up jacking the car up anyway. I've been considering removing the Fumoto valve

I use disposable aluminum pans (Costco) for oil changes. You get a couple dozen for about $10 or so. I do use them for cooking too (great for beans under roasting/smoking meat so the drippings flavor the baked beans) but I find half of them go for oil changes with the 5 cars I have/ kids have. I slide the aluminum pans (chafing dishes) on top of a big metal drip pan that is always under the cars (WalMart) to make it really easy to position and in case I slosh the aluminum pans too much and spill. I drain the oil into used 5qt oil containers (5qt Mobil 1 from Wal Mart for $24) for recycling and then just put the used pans in a large bag (usually the 40 lb dog food plastic bags or 50lb chicken food bags) so nothing drips out and toss them in the trash. Super easy cleanup.

I now use a Fumoto valve on all my cars including my Jeep and Tacoma. You can drain just as much as you need or want. No worries if you overfill. You can also drain directly into quart bottles if you have the nipple version Fumoto. Just like bottling your own beer!

Old 11-29-2018, 09:42 AM

Can you guys move the car out from over the pans so you don't have to slide/slosh oil filled pan out from under the car. I've spilled oil doing that in my day.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:49 AM

Received 1,563 Likes on 929 Posts

The pans I use, pictured above, do not hit the car in any way. I can slide them around with impunity or I suppose I could drive on top of them but I don't have a reason to do that. I show them sliding from the side behind the front wheels but they fit equally well under the front too. My car is stock.

Maybe I have had more luck sliding the oil filled pan on top of the large drip pan. It makes it easy to slide without much jerking around that might spill the oil. You can see I have a carpeted garage floor and I have yet to wind up with any oil on it.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:15 PM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
I use disposable aluminum pans (Costco) for oil changes. You get a couple dozen for about $10 or so. I do use them for cooking too (great for beans under roasting/smoking meat so the drippings flavor the baked beans) but I find half of them go for oil changes with the 5 cars I have/ kids have. I slide the aluminum pans (chafing dishes) on top of a big metal drip pan that is always under the cars (WalMart) to make it really easy to position and in case I slosh the aluminum pans too much and spill. I drain the oil into used 5qt oil containers (5qt Mobil 1 from Wal Mart for $24) for recycling and then just put the used pans in a large bag (usually the 40 lb dog food plastic bags or 50lb chicken food bags) so nothing drips out and toss them in the trash. Super easy cleanup.

I now use a Fumoto valve on all my cars including my Jeep and Tacoma. You can drain just as much as you need or want. No worries if you overfill. You can also drain directly into quart bottles if you have the nipple version Fumoto. Just like bottling your own beer!

Genius!

I am definitely going to try this out...

I already have that same undercar walmary pan, for the same use, but with your typical plastic drain pan. In case some spills off that. Wind during drain, bad aim, etc.

I spend too kuch time cleaning the plastic drain pan. Throw away sounds like a great idea.

Instead of recycling 5 quart oil jugs for the used oil, I use a purpose made jug I bought somewhere. Similar height to the 5 quart, but way wider and with a huge mouth. Heavier, plus wide, so it won't tip when empty and first trying to pour stuff in. Holds a lot of oil.

Quick Reply: Oil filter question