S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Pressure Low

Old 05-07-2017, 07:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Low

Hi guys, Im new to the forum. I just picked up this s2000 and i dont have much history on the car. Now Id like to start by saying I'm no expert but I do tinker from time to time.

It is an 01' AP1. I have a Defi oil pressure guage and engine oil temp guage installed which was giving me a low oil pressure warning light on my last drive. I noticed that engine oil temp is getting quite hot and the check engine light came on so i shut the car down and parked it to try and find the issues before damages occur. The oil pressure on the guage was reading quite low and then coming back to normal back and forth intermittently, So i figured it was time to stop the car and do some checks and repairs.

First thing i did was check the engine oil level. Which seemed Ok
second thing i did was remove the defi guage from the equation just for piece of mind and try a new oem pressure sensor but its my understanding that once the oil light comes on its almost already too late and engine damages could have already occured. So i figured that the Defi guages might have saved me

then I decided its time to open the oil pan and check the pump check valve and spring which Ive attached some pics of.

Where is the oil squirter? I dont see it anywhere under there.

I made this tool to remove the crank pully bolt
going at this now...but its really hard to remove.

any advice? Does the pump check valve look scored to the point of replacement?
The small marks on there I cant even catch a finger nail in, they cant even been 0.0005" deep So I don't know what to make of this and thought it best to ask the forum experts

In for possible tips on removing the pully bolt
Old 05-07-2017, 07:42 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

if you remove the passenger side radiator fan you can fit your impact to buzz it off

its only 2 bolts and a clip to remove
Old 05-07-2017, 07:44 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Check both sides of the engine oil dipstick as oil tends to coat one side and the other side shows the true level. Repeat.

-- Chuck
Old 05-07-2017, 08:52 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

I used a heat gun on the pulley and then lots of freeze spray on the bolt, it then got loose with no effort at all.
Impact gun probably works too but I'm not sure if the crankshaft likes that.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:19 AM

dont tighten it with a impact just loosen it
Old 05-07-2017, 09:44 AM

ok I got the pully off. thanks,

Does the chain need to be located to the sprocket somehow? Is there markings or should I mark the sprocket and chain for re assembly?

Can I remove the lower chain tensioner and leave the top tensioner in place to slip the pump sprocket out of the chain and out of the engine?
Old 05-07-2017, 09:57 AM

from the manual
Attached Thumbnails Oil Pressure Low-oilpump.png   Oil Pressure Low-oilpump2.png   Oil Pressure Low-oilpump3.png   Oil Pressure Low-oilpump4.png   Oil Pressure Low-oilpump5.png  

Old 05-07-2017, 11:06 AM

hey right on thanks, I got the pump out

the tensioner was just two bolts, I wasn't sure if there was preload that I needed to remove before removing the bolts. I guess not, I just removed the bolts, Where do I obtain a set clip for re assembly?

now im stumped that i've got the pump out, and checked the radial and axial clearances (which are all in tightest possible clearance spec.)

what can I check now?

I replaced the sensor
the Pump seems ok but I'm getting overheating.

am I correct in thinking either the oil was too low or the main bearings are out of spec?

Ive never done mains before.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:15 PM

i mean typically from what i've read, low oil pressure is caused by bearing clearances not the oil pump
Old 05-07-2017, 03:31 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

That engine has seen better days, I'd plastigauge a rod or two.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Low