S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Usage During Break-In

Old 02-16-2001, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Suave J
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by Elund
[b]Has anyone noticed unusual oil usage during break-in?
Old 02-17-2001, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by mdigrappa
After having asked my dealer about the #4 cyl failure that has struck a couple of the cars, it appears as though Honda's offical position on this matter is that ALL of the failures have occured due to low oil.
While that may be Honda's public position, Honda Tech Line KNOWS that to be not true. My #4 cylinder failed at 650 miles on the odometer and my engine oil was not down a drop. I had checked it before driving it the day the subtle tap-of-death developed. The service manager at my Honda dealer checked it and found it was not down a drop. The mechanic drained the oil when he drained the block and found the normal amount of oil.

Elund, tell us about your engine's failure.

Barry in Wyoming
'01 #52 repaired and happy.
Old 02-18-2001, 02:45 PM

Elund - Sorry to hear about your problem

I too had a sad day last Monday. The dealer has not given me a cause yet, but the dealer also knows that I am the type that reads the manual and cares for my car by the book. I put 3 qts in my S2000 within 6,000 miles. I know my oil level was good because I do check it everytime I fillup so I feel that this is a Honda problem and not an owner problem.

Barry WY has the right thought in that we need to make sure that Honda knows and takes care of those who have suffered the loss. So far it seems that Honda is doing just that. I will let everyone know what they have to say and will keep the board posted and would appreciate if you get anything new to let us know.

I hope you are back in the S2000 world again soon. I know I prefer to be there than where I am now - thinking of my S2000.
Old 02-18-2001, 03:13 PM

Noticed the low-oil postings and thought I better check - sure enough, I turned up 1,100 miles today and the dipstick says it is down a quart. Never had this happen with a modern engine before: new engines don't consume this much oil ordinarily.

My driving is conservative to moderate - have not been over 4,500 rpm so far as my intent is a gradual run-in aimed at long engine life. Looks like I'm checking the oil at every fill-up from now on.

A couple of things - several people asked about oil types. The oil filler cap and the owners manual both specify 10W30 oil. My dealer uses Castrol GTX for all changes.

Also, when taking delivery I noticed the hood doesn't latch properly. It takes a couple of pretty good pushes to make the hood latch. The service manager said they would adjust the latch at the 3,500 mile check. He also asked me why I would want to open the hood (!). This guy apparently comes from the car-as-appliance school of thought. Perhaps this works with the ordinary Honda's, but not the S2000. I'm calling the service department in the morning and inquiring about the oil consumption.
Old 02-18-2001, 05:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

LC- NEVER PUSH THE S2000 HOOD DOWN!!!!
Drop it from chest level...it will latch...
And you won't have a dented hood....
Old 02-18-2001, 06:09 PM

Okay - a rephrase. I give the hood an accelerated push from about chest high and let it free-fall to latch. The service dept. has turned down the rubber bump stops to let the hood close further against the latch, but now the hood is visibly below the fender line. I just have a mechanical misadjustment of the latch mechanism - no big deal, we will take care of it at the first service. But, thanks for the reply. You are exactly right, any vehicle with an aluminum hood (or any other alloy body part) will not take kindly to being manhandled.
Old 02-19-2001, 03:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by L. Cunningham
[B]
My driving is conservative to moderate - have not been over 4,500 rpm so far as my intent is a gradual run-in aimed at long engine life.
Old 02-20-2001, 06:39 PM

Hey All

I currently have a 97 del Sol VTEC with 78K on the clock and I have noticed the oil usage (ok....burning...the dealer has me beliving I should call it usage) for quite some time now. I have noticed that the only time I really burn oil is from 6 to 8 grand on the tach. I can even notice the puff of smoke out the exhaust.

I am planning to grab a Yellow S2K in the next week or so and I am really glad I stumbled on this site. I plan to really keep an eye on the oil. I really hate that Honda actually tells you to check oil every time you fill up. That seems a bit riduclous. I can say that my del Sol has been a fantastic car....never a problem. One time I checked the oil, I added two quarts and it was a bit over the low line. I now check it more frequently, and the less I hit VTEC, the less oil I use. I suppose it is a bit of a pain, but as long as the problem isn't really getting worse, I guess there is no reason to not keep the Sol as a winter beater

Rick