S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Passenger rear camber adjustment issue

Old 08-10-2018, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger rear camber adjustment issue

I've been searching the threads but am totally at a loss right now. My 2005 with eibach springs is currently being aligned and they can get everything within spec except the passenger rear camber. I thought at first the bolt was seized but the tech swore up and down that it was working. I ended up driving over to the shop and sure enough both the camber and toe adjusters are working find and moving the control arm in and out. No matter how far he adjusts both, the max camber he can get is -0.6. The driver side he easily set to -2.0. Could the subframe assembly be off? Or maybe his alignment system is not functioning properly? I'm not sure what to do at this point. Any thoughts on this would be great. And thanks to everyone here, this forum has been super helpful since I bought my car a few months ago.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:08 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My guess is you have something bent on that corner. Strut, control arm, something. You probably hit a pothole or something. The next question would be to figure out what suspension part or parts, are out of spec.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:48 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Is he turning the right adjuster for the right angle?

Maybe something is bent or shifted.

I doubt your subframe being shifted is causing THAT much discrepancy.

A bent spindle or control arm would/might cause it. And bent spindles are hard to detect. The spindle is usually the first thing you bend when you hit something.

Have you hit something?
Old 08-10-2018, 06:40 PM

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I would go with something mildly bent as well. Did you have him match the -.6 on the other side for the time being so that cross camber was in spec?
Old 08-10-2018, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the reply's. He was definitely turning it the right way. I went to the shop and tried adjusting it myself and no luck. There must be something bent. I swapped out the coilovers that came with it for some OEM shocks off ebay and Eibach springs prior to the alignment. I'm going to reinstall the coilover in place of the strut assembly with the same ride height to see if the camber changes. That should rule out or confirm the strut as the issue. After that i guess it would be the lower or upper A arm or toe arm. I'm not sure how to test those without buying new ones.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:31 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by wae486
Thanks everyone for the reply's. He was definitely turning it the right way. I went to the shop and tried adjusting it myself and no luck. There must be something bent. I swapped out the coilovers that came with it for some OEM shocks off ebay and Eibach springs prior to the alignment. I'm going to reinstall the coilover in place of the strut assembly with the same ride height to see if the camber changes. That should rule out or confirm the strut as the issue. After that i guess it would be the lower or upper A arm or toe arm. I'm not sure how to test those without buying new ones.
As B serious said, consider the spindle too, often they are the first to bend.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:24 AM

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Scigheras
As B serious said, consider the spindle too, often they are the first to bend.
I wouldn’t discount a bent spindle however stamped steel parts (like the toe/camber arms) will bend before cast parts will. The toe/camber arms are considerably weaker & more malleable than the spindle
Old 08-11-2018, 09:42 AM

Received 1,249 Likes on 760 Posts

First thing to bend in the rear is the knuckle.

Check the clearance between the body of the knuckle (Right where the lower ball joint is pressed in) and the backing plate. If they are touching, the knuckle is bent.

Compare sides to confirm.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:52 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by wae486
I've been searching the threads but am totally at a loss right now. My 2005 with eibach springs is currently being aligned and they can get everything within spec except the passenger rear camber. I thought at first the bolt was seized but the tech swore up and down that it was working. I ended up driving over to the shop and sure enough both the camber and toe adjusters are working find and moving the control arm in and out. No matter how far he adjusts both, the max camber he can get is -0.6. The driver side he easily set to -2.0. Could the subframe assembly be off? Or maybe his alignment system is not functioning properly? I'm not sure what to do at this point. Any thoughts on this would be great. And thanks to everyone here, this forum has been super helpful since I bought my car a few months ago.
Which adjuster are you using to adjust camber? Did you try using both adjusters to dial in camber?
Old 08-12-2018, 03:56 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by outeiroj
I wouldn’t discount a bent spindle however stamped steel parts (like the toe/camber arms) will bend before cast parts will. The toe/camber arms are considerably weaker & more malleable than the spindle
Nope, like billman confirms in the post below you, the spindle/knuckle is often the first to go.
Trust me, unfortunately I am speaking from experience, and billman likely is too.

Quick Reply: Passenger rear camber adjustment issue