S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Performance Chip

Old 09-23-2002, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Chip

Does anyone make a performance chip for the S2K?? If so, who should I contact??
Old 09-23-2002, 03:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't waste your time or money, even if you do find one. They work for some cars that are VERY poorly optimized (Chevy trucks, etc.), but not for cars like the S2000, plus, if you do any mods later, they aren't configurable. If you want to have a good electronic mod, go with an Apexi V-AFC. It will allow you to tune your air / fuel curve and VTEC engagement point whenever you want.
Old 09-23-2002, 03:56 PM

I agree w/ that...but i still dont understand why they work so well on s4's, they aren't that poorly engineered are they?
Old 09-23-2002, 04:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by greeny488
I agree w/ that...but i still dont understand why they work so well on s4's, they aren't that poorly engineered are they?
Gernby is correct.....

Greeny...your not really Bayarea408 are you??

Utah
Old 09-23-2002, 04:14 PM
SSK

(current) S4s are turbocharged... you can get a lot of add'l power out of turbos. Perfect example to look at are the Audi A4s. There are chips available for the 1.8 turbo 4 and 2.8 V6 (i'm talking about the previous generation). The 1.8T w/ a chip could go from 150hp stock to 200hp. The 2.8 w/ a chip could go from 190hp stock to 195-200hp. Only so much you can do w/ a N/A engine using just a chip.

Old 09-23-2002, 05:17 PM

A chip can easily increase turbo boost pressure for vehicles with turbo chargers. With the caveat that increasing boost can impact the reliability of the mechanicals.

But turbocharged cars are not common these days, so for the vast majority of cars on the road aftermarket chips can only do things like change shift points, and only in automatics.

The only worthwhile chip that could likely be developed for the S2000 would be something like a Traction Control chip. Modern traction control is just software and is often designed to use the existing ABS sensors. It's one of those things Honda left "on the table" and could actually give us for "free" just by reprogramming the current ECU.

The S2000, like most high performance, normally aspirated automobiles, leave very little "on the table" for these electronic changes to suddenly give back. Turbo charged cars are the major exception here.
Old 09-23-2002, 05:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mikey
[B]The only worthwhile chip that could likely be developed for the S2000 would be something like a Traction Control chip.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:28 PM

Um... just a clarification. The S4 is one of the most well crafted cars on the road today. The reason a chip works so well is that it increases boost but ALSO adjusts the fuel map. You don't sacrifice any reliability at all by putting in a high quality chip. I know this to be true because I have an S4 and have done a tremendous amount of research on it. You can actually get about 400 awhp out of the S4 with about $5k invested. Now if only that were true of the S2K...
Old 09-23-2002, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just for reference guys, if a VAFC can gain significant power, so can a chip. But a chip also allows timing control, and the S2000 ECU is conservative on timing as well. One only need look at the benefits of the Mugen ECU to get an idea of what can happen.

The only company even working on a reprogrammable stock ECU is Hondata. They've done some prototypes which I tried to test on my car, but the security systems just wouldn't work (couldn't start the car).

Hondata's priority right now is the RSX ECU, but if enough people call them, maybe they'll step up the S2K effort. It would be particularly useful for those running boost. I think they need to understand that S2K people spend money more freely than RSX people (Doug at Hondata is a friend, so be polite :-)

UL
Old 09-23-2002, 07:41 PM

Ahh! I forgot about the timing as well. Good call UL. I'll give Hondata a ring tomorrow to give my support!

Quick Reply: Performance Chip