S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Power steering issues!

Old 11-19-2014, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep. i got a new torque sensor as well and it fixed the problem. thanks dynasty auto.
its like a brand new car!
Old 12-17-2014, 04:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was the torque sensor difficult to replace? I'm gonig to buy a used unit locally but never have attampted to swap it out. Does anyone have instructions on how to accomplish this?
Old 11-23-2015, 05:56 PM

I fixed this on my car by replacing the torque sensor. I'm no mechanic, but the install wasn't too bad either.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:37 PM

I found this on YouTube and it is what I'm experiencing. Is this the same problem this thread is referring to?

https://youtu.be/AuC67Lrs--o
Old 12-31-2015, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Moglesby
I found this on YouTube and it is what I'm experiencing. Is this the same problem this thread is referring to?

https://youtu.be/AuC67Lrs--o
That is what mine did, but much more violent.

a few posts up was my solotion for it. It's still working normal to this day.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:52 AM

It's the steering torque sensor. Replace it and the issue will be gone. See Fixed! EPS - uneven steering effort. Started by Alf_09NFR
Old 12-31-2015, 04:38 AM

Okay, thanks! It's weird that it only does it in colder weather.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Moglesby
Okay, thanks! It's weird that it only does it in colder weather.
Mine was the same way. After the car warmed up. It got better.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:34 PM

After reading this thread (all of it) I found out what totaled my 01 S2000 and injured me. Hopefully other people who have experienced a similar situation will find this thread and something can be done to help prevent other S2000 drivers and anyone else they drive into from getting hurt or killed.

I have been reading about all of these issues with the EPS on our vehicles and I'm happy yall have found a solution. Just wish I had stumbled upon this thread before Sunday night.

The other night I was driving home and my steering felt heavy like the power steering wasn't working all the time. It would turn easily to the left but slightly sluggishly to the right. The issue seemed to go away as I drove a little bit but several minutes later it came back with a vengeance. As I drove down a straight road, at about 40 mph, my steering wheel forced itself toward the left (about 30 degrees) and I tried to turn it back to center but it wouldn't budge. Basically it felt like it was stuck or just extremely difficult to turn. I ended up off the road where my once beautiful S struck several wooden posts in the dirt and was sent sideways into the air where the trunk was torn to pieces after striking a large tree. I walked away banged up and with a only concussion thanks to the airbag, seatbelt and my ever vigilant guardian angel. Thankfully no one else was involved in the accident.

I feel that some S2000 owners who are no longer with us may have been victims of a similar EPS system malfunction but never got the chance to say it. There are so many parts of the system that must be functioning properly or else the steering wheel becomes marginally useful at best causing the driver to lose control of a moving vehicle. I could have easily died and I know this could happen to anyone. This is the only car wreck I've been in since I started driving 15 years ago, so I try to be safe, but this was just scary.

I'm asking anyone who knows about a similar situation to post your story here or just message me. I found out what almost killed me by searching for this thread after my crash. Other people will find this and hopefully soon something can be done to help prevent anything like this from happening to other S drivers or the people they veer into. EPS issues have been recently plaguing other cars including other Hondas and GM vehicles. I'm hoping we can use this community to get together and raise awareness at the very least.

Here is a Youtube video that was posted earlier in this thread that shows the steering wheel turning itself. Mine was much more abrupt than this, but it did shake like this when I started the car that night. https://youtu.be/AuC67Lrs--o Just in case this seems too far fetched to be an actual issue.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:15 PM

Guys, I have a fix for this - without replacing the EPS sensor.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/114...ps-how-to-fix/

This will only fix a stuck sensor.

Quick Reply: Power steering issues!