Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > General Interest > S2000 Under The Hood
Reload this Page >

Pulsating rubbing noise from rear

S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Pulsating rubbing noise from rear

Old 07-11-2018, 04:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Pulsating rubbing noise from rear

Over the last 500 miles or so this noise has been getting louder little by little. I only heard it if I was really looking for it but now it's any time I'm going parking lot speeds, maybe a little more. It sounds almost like it's my left rear tire rubbing the quarter panel in rotation with the wheel. After looking at the car on a lift spinning the wheels on the lift, there was no noise and no indication of anything going on. The tires don't have any bulging anywhere, the CV boots aren't torn or anything, the wheel bearings have no play and don't make any metal to metal sounds, differential is quiet, etc. Has anyone else had the issue before?

I will upload a video later on today.

Parts List relevant to noise concern:

DSS 2.9 Axles
Puddy Mod 1 Differential
RPF1 17x9+45 on 245/40 BFG Sport Comp 2 Tires
5mm Spacer
Rolled/Pulled
Old 07-11-2018, 06:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it happens at low enough speeds, could someone push the car to move it while you're outside listening for the noise? Might help you pin point where it's coming from.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by ISADE View Post
If it happens at low enough speeds, could someone push the car to move it while you're outside listening for the noise? Might help you pin point where it's coming from.
Rolling through the shop you can hear it enough to know it's there, and several of us agree it sounds like a rubber sound; almost like a pair of old Vans shoes on a shop floor making that squeaking sound. None of us can pin point exactly where it's coming from when the car is on the ground and the noise disappears on the lift some how.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:39 AM

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

First off, that's a great picture you have with the loch ness monster in an S2000 Secondly, Maybe with your on jack stands, you could try putting a jack under a secure location on the suspicious suspension arm and raising it to the natural ride height, and then rotating the tire? That way the tire would be in the same orientation it would be when you're actually driving. Do you think this could be related to the pulled fenders?
Old 07-11-2018, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by LagunaPearlAP2 View Post
First off, that's a great picture you have with the loch ness monster in an S2000 Secondly, Maybe with your on jack stands, you could try putting a jack under a secure location on the suspicious suspension arm and raising it to the natural ride height, and then rotating the tire? That way the tire would be in the same orientation it would be when you're actually driving. Do you think this could be related to the pulled fenders?
That picture made my day when I found it, hands down my favorite S2000 picture yet. I plan on doing that tomorrow after work, it's the only day I can get the car on a lift and have a stiffener available to do so. I have been on the wheels, spacers and tires with the quarters being rolled/pulled how they are for about 1-1/2 Years/ 25k miles. One of the techs at my work keeps saying he thinks it is the brakes, but his logic doesn't quite sound right to me. The rear rotors on my S have been slightly warped for a little while now and they are gradually getting worse. He believes that the rotor is putting slight weight on the pad making the noise, however the noise is there in/out of gear, on/off brakes, accel/decel.