S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Really bad exhaust smell?

Old 05-29-2017, 04:35 PM

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Ok, so a test pupe doesn't really uncork any power with this car. Unless, if paired with a flashpro tune, you can lower vtec rpm which can add a lot of power under the curve. Though you can do the same with a hfc. You are hampered from this using the stock cat.

You want to pair the size of cat with size of exhaust. If you have a 70 mm exhaust, get a 70 mm cat. If you have a 60-something exhaust, get a 63 mm cat. Note, stock exhaust is around 63 mm. Going bigger cat with smaller exhaust will actually lose power.

Your best bet is either a stock used cat, or a berk 63 mm hfc. If you have any future plans for more hp, then get the hfc berk. Later you can add Flashpro to actually take advantage of the hfc. This is the best bang for buck and only real source of performance increase for this car short of FI or Nos.
I don't plan on tuning it, and the rest of the exhaust is stock.
I think I just want the most cost effective here, and no smell. The Berks 63mm seems like the best bet, but do you think it will pass the inspection? Then there is the magnaflow cat, but that's like $400. I can't find the stock cat new, and I can only find one listing for a used one, and it's $270+ shipping.

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
I'm pretty sure Maryland needs a CARB certified cat, I think the only one that works is the Magnaflow, I'm probably missing something. Cunningham's law will sort it out.
Are you sure? I just googled real quick and didn't see anything. I will keep looking.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:01 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

A stinky exhaust will make them look under the car. Sports car + stinky exhaust = no cat. They've seen it before and there's probably a note in their inspection to call attention to it.

I put my Berk 63.5mm HFC inside the OEM heat shield.

Name:  IMG_1956_c_zpsd2c6e4a7.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  46.6 KB

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 05-30-2017 at 03:07 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:58 AM

That would be the best solution, but I don't even have the stock heat shield. Does the exhaust still stink with the berks?
Old 05-30-2017, 06:31 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

I think the Berks is a two way cat that's only designed to burn off HC and CO, and not do anything much about NOx. You may pass the sniffer test with one though.

*edit:
Never mind, after looking up your state's regulations your car only gets an OBD test and a gas cap test. Sniffer test is for older trucks and cars made before 1996. So you can get a high flow cat and be ok most likely.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
I think the Berks is a two way cat that's only designed to burn off HC and CO, and not do anything much about NOx. You may pass the sniffer test with one though.

*edit:
Never mind, after looking up your state's regulations your car only gets an OBD test and a gas cap test. Sniffer test is for older trucks and cars made before 1996. So you can get a high flow cat and be ok most likely.
Yea for the emissions test I am almost 100% sure that its OK, But I still have to get the car MD inspected before I can register it, and that's what I'm worried about. I assume they will put the car on a lift and look under there.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:53 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

I don't know how they do it in Maryland, but when my state used to have smog inspections, you would drive to a place they'd put a sniffer in your tailpipe and an obd2 reader, and they'd just make sure your emissions was ok and you didn't have any check engine lights. Putting your car on a lift takes too long and costs too much, so it's unlikely, at best they'll use a mirror to look around. These places have to inspect like 200 cars on a good day.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:17 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by iCrap
Yea for the emissions test I am almost 100% sure that its OK, But I still have to get the car MD inspected before I can register it, and that's what I'm worried about. I assume they will put the car on a lift and look under there.
Just play dumb if they actually manage to find and ask about it? You didn't know what it was until we told you. Not your fault the car came like that. No Cel triggered so from your perspective everything is good to go. Or just keep looking for a used CAT or HFC and swap it in.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yea I would just get it tested first, if it doesn't pass then worry. Worst case scenario just buy HFC.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:55 PM

I have to change it regardless. The smell in unbearable. In convertible, this is just stupid... Every time I stop the cabin is filled with the smell.
I think I'm going to end up with the Berks HFC.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iCrap
I used to live in Maryland also. They put all my vehicles on a lift. Tires off. Check everything. Always took an hour to an hour and a half.... But, it's a one time inspection as long as you own the vehicle, or it used to be at least.

Quick Reply: Really bad exhaust smell?