S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rear clicking/popping sound at low speed and bumps

Old 10-19-2022, 07:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear clicking/popping sound at low speed and bumps

All,
I have a sound that has been slowly getting louder and more often. The car is only driven to and from, and on the track. The sound occurs from the tear end when backing up and reversing. Also while driving over bumps or dips at low speed.
the sound occurs in both rear axles.
Is the issue the axles, hubs, both?

https://youtube.com/shorts/Djgg5xC6lF0?feature=share

car notes:
  • 155k miles, factory hubs/bearings.
  • Axles we’re replaced with OEM many years ago at around 100k miles.
  • Rear axle spacers have been installed at around 125k miles to reduce rear axle cup clicking and shutters.
  • Rear diff replaced 70k miles ago.
    Rear axle nut TSB performed once before
  • Rear end links are custom aftermarket spherical from a tuner and have been inspected.

Last edited by billiardboy904; 10-19-2022 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Updating notes.
Old 10-19-2022, 09:27 AM

Received 1,283 Likes on 964 Posts

Your video doesn't show anything abnormal. Any axle will clunk if you do what you're doing.

Your noise over bumps is probably coming from the sway bar links. That type won't typically last long. Try disconnecting one side to see if the noise goes away.

A single click when you change directions (reverse to forward or vise versa) indicates an under-tightened axle nut. I recommend removing the nut.... cleaning the mating surfaces....applying EP grease to the threads and faces....and torquing to 250LB-FT in a constant swing.

Old 10-19-2022, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B serious
Your video doesn't show anything abnormal. Any axle will clunk if you do what you're doing.

Your noise over bumps is probably coming from the sway bar links. That type won't typically last long. Try disconnecting one side to see if the noise goes away.

A single click when you change directions (reverse to forward or vise versa) indicates an under-tightened axle nut. I recommend removing the nut.... cleaning the mating surfaces....applying EP grease to the threads and faces....and torquing to 250LB-FT in a constant swing.
it’s been so long and so many miles since I’ve torqued the axle that I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt to do it again. I aways ordered a new axle nut when doing so but I saw an LHT video where they reused the old one after cleaning and greasing.

as for the axles, interesting to say it’s normal to hear the clunk. I figured that was abnormal and perhaps you’re right that it’s not the source of the sound.

Lastly, the end links are spherical custom aftermarket from a tuner and I inspected them already. I’ll update the original notes accordingly.
Old 10-19-2022, 09:54 AM

Received 1,283 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by billiardboy904
it’s been so long and so many miles since I’ve torqued the axle that I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt to do it again. I aways ordered a new axle nut when doing so but I saw an LHT video where they reused the old one after cleaning and greasing.

as for the axles, interesting to say it’s normal to hear the clunk. I figured that was abnormal and perhaps you’re right that it’s not the source of the sound.

Lastly, the end links are spherical custom aftermarket from a tuner and I inspected them already. I’ll update the original notes accordingly.
Yep, I know what those endlinks are. A McMaster Carr sourced tie rod set. Trust. They're not a 100K mile item like the OEM ones are. Try disconnecting them and go for a ride. Inspecting them won't always reveal the issue.

Axles all clunk when you pull on them like that. Especially when the hubs are drooping like in your video. A 100% immovable axle would be...well...immovable.
Old 10-19-2022, 09:56 AM

Received 1,227 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by billiardboy904

It is hard to hear the play in a spherical endlink by hand at first until the wear gets worse. It can be a mm of play or less and make a ton of noise. I have had them that felt fine by hand, sounded like I was about to lose a control arm when driving. Regardless of quality, those will wear out many times faster than OEM. My Karcepts are great, but they are similar and will wear out eventually and make noise. That is just a fact of using that style of link. They work great for motorsports but like many parts in that area, do not last like OEM. Consider them a wear item. If you have not already, just disconnect them and drive around to see if the noise goes away.

Not sure how much you are lowered, but you likely did not need the axle spacers. Most of us lowered around 1 inch from stock are not running them. I never have in 50,000 miles of owning mine. But I doubt they are causing the issue unless they are thick enough to cause the joint to crash into the back of the cup when suspension moves. Pretty unlikely but how thick are they and how much are you lowered?