S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rear End Vibrating Under Acceleration

Old 06-01-2005, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear End Vibrating Under Acceleration

I noticed at first (when the car was stock) that at hard acceleration on turns (when there's the most load) I got a litle bit of vibration. After I lowerd the car, I get it just normally accelerating. It gets worse as I go through the gears. It's not horrible where the car's not driveable, but I know if I don't do something about it sooner than later, I'm going to pay for it. I took the car to the alignment shop, and the guy told me that it was the axle joints. Now...if this was the problem, I'm looking at about $300 labor and about $900 for parts (new axles or new joints are approx the same price from Honda). However, I don't want to spend the money if this ISN'T the problem, and the only way to find out is to do the work.

Sooooo....

Has anyone else had this type of problem or something similar? Is there a place that rebuilds the joints? Or does anyone have a front end crashed S and want to sell me theirs.

Any information about this is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:09 PM

Try swapping the cv joints. Costs about $15 (if you have the tools).
Old 06-01-2005, 08:10 PM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=241367
Old 06-01-2005, 08:15 PM

if it apear on accel but goes away after you back off the throttle , and is more present during turning, this could be your cv joints.

The left inner cv is usually the one to go first, the left side gets more stress because its shorter.

In my case its both the left inner and outer cv joints, the swap didnt fix all of it.

the cost of cv joints from honda is $200+ for each inner or outer joint. The cost of a new driveshaft is $400+ for either left or right. The driveshaft assembly will include new inner and outer joints , boots , and shaft all preassembled.

To swap the cv joints all you really need to pay for is some good quality grease (redline cv2), providing you already have the tools.

To replace the axle will require some serious breaker bar action or an impact wrench to get the axle nut off, but should be a simple process and may take less time than swapping the cv's.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:29 AM

Thanks everyone for you help. I was under the impression that this was going to be a lot harder, but didn't really know where to start looking. Obviously, I picked the right place. I'm going to see how much the parts are going to cost me and perhaps tackle the job myself.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:21 AM
Banned

how many miles are on these cars when problems start? I notice stuff like this on mine and am beginning to think the S lacks durability.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:37 AM

a lot of people seem to see symptoms at 30k-50k miles. I guess it depends on how you drive it. On my car i only noticed it at about 68k miles, but that doesnt mean it wasnt slowly coming into effect earlier.

CV joints are a wear item, and hond generally fixes this problem for free if you are still under warranty.

Just be glad its the cv joints and not the diff or the tranny.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:31 AM

I have 46K on mine right now.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:19 AM

That's about when mine got replaced by HondaCare, like 48k for me. I'd be willing to bet it's the CV joints.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:34 AM

How'd you get HondaCare to replace it for you? Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Rear End Vibrating Under Acceleration