S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Replaced tct timing chain tensioner and hear a supercharger whine noise

Old 11-23-2014, 05:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I highly doubt your head gasket is leaking oil. It is more than likely one of the 3 seals on the VTEC solenoid as others have stated. The one between the head and solenoid body is readily available and easily replaced, the one between the two halves unfortunately is not available, but another very common leak location is through the pressure switch (the sensor sticking out the side at a right angle). This uses a readily available metric size o-ring. I believe it is either a 19 or a 22mm sensor. Unthread, remove old o-ring, install new and retighten. Just be sure to not over torque it, it doesn't need much, 16 lbf/ft is all it requires. The o-ring required is 13mm (OD) X 1.5mm.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:50 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really appreciate the responses, I'm going to go ahead and take care of those seals and see what happens and I'll update with what happens
Old 11-23-2014, 02:05 PM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanksartell
very common leak location is through the pressure switch (the sensor sticking out the side at a right angle)
Been seeing this a lot as time goes on, leaks right through the electrical connection itself
Old 11-23-2014, 02:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Billman250
Been seeing this a lot as time goes on, leaks right through the electrical connection itself
yeah, I noticed there was oil inside the connector when I unplugged the one on the side of the vtec solenoid as well. Just ordered a new oil pressure switch and vtec solenoid gasket, will update after they ship and have been installed
Old 11-23-2014, 03:22 PM

usually the pressure switch itself doesnt need replacing. From what I've seen its oil that seeps past the o-ring and works its way into the connector that way. FWIW I've replaced a couple sets of o-rings after seeing oil in the connector and it hasn't come back.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:20 PM
Banned

usually the pressure switch itself doesnt need replacing. From what I've seen its oil that seeps past the o-ring and works its way into the connector that way. FWIW I've replaced a couple sets of o-rings after seeing oil in the connector and it hasn't come back.
hmm exactly where are these o rings located so I can take a better look at them? On the pressure switch?
Old 11-24-2014, 02:42 AM

The O-ring is around the threads of the pressure switch. Unscrew it and you'll see the o-ring in question.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:38 AM
Banned

The O-ring is around the threads of the pressure switch. Unscrew it and you'll see the o-ring in question.
ah ok thanks, I already ordered a whole switch anyways so I'm going to assume it comes with a fresh o-ring anyways
Old 11-24-2014, 01:19 PM

Actually according to Honda's parts diagram, it doesnt, lol. So you'll still have to source an O-ring, but its a standard size that you could find in just about any metric bulk pack of o-rings.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:53 PM
Banned

Actually according to Honda's parts diagram, it doesnt, lol. So you'll still have to source an O-ring, but its a standard size that you could find in just about any metric bulk pack of o-rings.
well sh*t lol

Quick Reply: Replaced tct timing chain tensioner and hear a supercharger whine noise