S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Replacing Prop shaft allen bolts

Old 06-06-2007, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Prop shaft allen bolts

Well, this has been probably the most frustrating task yet in my automotive repairing history. I Stripped out the majority of the allen bolts trying to remove the prop shaft, and I tried every combination of tools I could think of. So I refuse to subject myself, or anyone else to this again on this car. There wouldn't be any problem with replacing them with something I could use a standard 10/12/14mm socket, or box wrench on would there? Assuming the replacement bolts are the same thread, size, and length of course.

Although I am putting AP2 drivetrain back in, which uses a larger siz allen, an allen bolt for this application is just asinine. There just isnt enough clearance from the propshaft to get an allen socket in the bolt without being pushed slightly off angle by the propshaft. Other than a stadard allen wrench which has no where near enough leverage. I was able to snap the allen wrench in two though after attaching a pipe to it for leverage. I Just wanted to see if anyone knows any reason why this would be a bad idea. If for some insane reason, I do reuse allens, I'm definatly going to make a special tool for this.

And while I'm sure some of you are seriously doubting this I assure you I know what I'm doing. I've been working on cars/engines/go-carts/motorcycles since I could walk. I grew up in my fathers repair shop. I don't strip bolts very often... But I've somehow managed to strip more in one sitting tonight trying to remove the prop shaft then I have in probably the last 4-5 years combined.

See my last post in the thread below for the list of tools I tried And my small rant on the subject

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...c=373364&st=25
Old 06-06-2007, 05:56 PM

Received 1,275 Likes on 778 Posts

AP2 allen bolts are the way to go IMO. They always come out no sweat.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they are different? i had no idea this whole time. i stripped one on an ap1 once and i used a normal hex head bolt for a temp. replacement. the key was to use a 1/4'' drive allen wrench which provided clearance to use the allen in the right angle.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:03 PM

You can't switch them, unless you change the driveshaft/dif/trans like the OP.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:12 PM

Well, If Billman says use the AP2 allens, who am I to argue.

I did have my tranny changed by the dealership a few months back, maybe the tech overtightened the bolts. I would have done the tranny myself but the dealer covered the labor under warranty plus I don't have access to a lift at the moment.

Hmm, I didnt think to try a 1/4" allen socket, as I didnt have one. But based on the force I was having to apply I figured Id snap a 1/4". Maybe Ill grab some of the peice from allenwrench #1 and make up a 1/4" allen socket real quick. See if maybe I can salvage a couple more bolts.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:42 PM

3/8 drive 6mm socket. Short.

And, a wobble extension.

apply pressure...if they start to strip, use vise grips and the socket together. You'll always get them out.

But if the dealer overtightened them (VERY easy to do) they are near impossible to get out

So you have an AP2 dif and trans now?
Old 06-06-2007, 08:02 PM

I was afraid to use a wobble extension, I didnt think I would be able to apply enough force to get them out using one. But I guess it would be at a fairly small angle. I'll definatly use that when putting the new propshaft back on. I think at this point though they are damaged beyond removal with an allen. I'll probably give it one more try, but its looking like cutoff wheel time

Unfortunatly My tranny is from an AP1. I have an 04 rear diff, propshaft, and tranny output flange. Thats what I'm working on swapping in right now. The tranny I had replaced was from an 02. I wanted to get an AP2 tranny, but the price on this one was just TOO good to pass up, and it was fairly low mileage as well. So unfortunately I'm going to have to swap the output flange on the tranny. From what I learned from tearing my last dead tranny apart, I don't think changing the flange should be too bad, but I haven't looked that up in the service manual yet.

The more I think about it I'm sure the dealer screwed me on the prop shaft bolts. Even if it wasn't overtightened, although I'm sure they were. I noticed some of the allen sockets on the prop bolts were already partially rounded out. So I was probably doomed before I even started. Oh well, thats what I get for letting someone else work on my car
Old 08-15-2021, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Boostaholic
Well, this has been probably the most frustrating task yet in my automotive repairing history. I Stripped out the majority of the allen bolts trying to remove the prop shaft, and I tried every combination of tools I could think of. So I refuse to subject myself, or anyone else to this again on this car. There wouldn't be any problem with replacing them with something I could use a standard 10/12/14mm socket, or box wrench on would there? Assuming the replacement bolts are the same thread, size, and length of course.

Although I am putting AP2 drivetrain back in, which uses a larger siz allen, an allen bolt for this application is just asinine. There just isnt enough clearance from the propshaft to get an allen socket in the bolt without being pushed slightly off angle by the propshaft. Other than a stadard allen wrench which has no where near enough leverage. I was able to snap the allen wrench in two though after attaching a pipe to it for leverage. I Just wanted to see if anyone knows any reason why this would be a bad idea. If for some insane reason, I do reuse allens, I'm definatly going to make a special tool for this.

And while I'm sure some of you are seriously doubting this I assure you I know what I'm doing. I've been working on cars/engines/go-carts/motorcycles since I could walk. I grew up in my fathers repair shop. I don't strip bolts very often... But I've somehow managed to strip more in one sitting tonight trying to remove the prop shaft then I have in probably the last 4-5 years combined.

See my last post in the thread below for the list of tools I tried And my small rant on the subject

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...c=373364&st=25
There's a little more room undoing the rear bolts. Once removed, the shaft can be lifted and tied higher at the back providing more room for the front bolts. Not that pleasant overall though.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:35 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

are you unable to use a ball end allen socket to get that little bit of angle?
Old 08-16-2021, 11:42 AM

No way. Ball end allen socket will always strip them. They only contact in the center.
The following users liked this post:
Slowcrash_101 (08-16-2021)

Quick Reply: Replacing Prop shaft allen bolts