S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rocker Arm Assembly Reassemble

Old 02-05-2019, 12:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan858

Hi Billman,
I’ve been reading lots of your advice given to others over the past few months as I’ve been building my motor and appreciate all the info your previous advice
to others has given.

I’m looking at the service manual and the rocker arm shafts drawing is incorrect when I compare it to the actual shaft. Looking at the oil holes from the ends, one is closer to an end which looks like it should be going toward the front (timing gear) or #1 cam holder. The shafts appear to be identical for intake and exhaust side but should they both be going in the same direction? I’m not sure if I should be following the picture as the drawing is not 100% accurate to the actual shaft and I would think they would go in different directions as the rockers are facing opposite sides of the head as well. I want to be sure I get everything in the correct order as I got it used and not sure if it was taken apart and reassembled. I actually put it all together over the weekend and just got to thinking about it so I’m going to pull it all apart again to confirm direction.

Im not sure if your still active on here but would appreciate your or anyone’s help.. Pictures or other service manual references will highly be appreciated...

Thanks All!
Going to tag @Billman250 to help see if you get a response.

Billman cleaned up my rocker assy, but was ready to arrange another assy to get in there if needed to . Top notch guy.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:24 PM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

Got your PM, post a pic of the holes in the shafts you are talking about and I will show you their orientation.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hi Billman... pics

Picked cleaner one to be on intake side.

Shorter distance from hole to end. Closer to cam holder 1. According to this picture / manual both shafts are in the same direction but if rockers are on opposite sides wouldn’t the direction also have to be different to route oil correctly? Are the rocker arms specific to intake and exhaust?

Shorter distance as drawn in the manual.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:17 PM

Discrepancy I found in drawing is on the short side there is no oil hole here on the actual shaft.

Missing hole compared to manual. I don’t have one factory assembled for reference and want to be sure what I bought is put together correctly.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:41 PM

Also curious if the spark plug tubes are supposed to be this close to the exhaust rockets? It’s off center?
Old 02-05-2019, 06:35 PM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

yes they(cam caps) are offset from center
Old 02-05-2019, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Deckoz
yes they(cam caps) are offset from center
Thanks Deckoz. any ideas on rocker shaft position?
Old 02-06-2019, 04:58 AM

Putting an engine together this morning and will ck it out...
Old 02-06-2019, 07:22 AM

I see the discrepancy you are speaking of in the manual, it is one of many errors.

The way you currently have the shafts oriented in the first pic is CORRECT.

The opposite ends of the shafts (rear end) are much different and easy to see that your current orientation is correct.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
I see the discrepancy you are speaking of in the manual, it is one of many errors.

The way you currently have the shafts oriented in the first pic is CORRECT.

The opposite ends of the shafts (rear end) are much different and easy to see that your current orientation is correct.
Thanks for confirming Bill!
I’m pretty ocd when it comes to this stuff and I get stuck when things become questionable. I had to redo my timing cover because the manual forgot to show the sprocket spacer being reinstalled and I caught it after I had already Honda bonded everything together.. err.. oh well shows nothing is more valuable than experience...
Found this (second cracked bearing) when I took it apart last night so maybe a blessing in disguise for having to repeat work. Any idea why or how they cracked?

Cracked!

Quick Reply: Rocker Arm Assembly Reassemble