S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rocker Arm Assembly Reassemble

Old 08-27-2012, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker Arm Assembly Reassemble

So I bought a use motor and the rocker arm assembly has been taken apart on the cylinder head. I looked in the Honda manual and there is not any info on reassembly. So, my question is has anyone put one of these back together after the rockers have been scrambled up? I know that they should not be moved for their factory position. I talked to a honda tech I know and he said I might aswell throw the head away. Does anyone know the key to my roller rocker puzzle?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:45 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Not a big deal. As long as you have all the parts it will go back together. Just be sure you have all of the floating pins in the rockers when you reinstall.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:30 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by anarchy187
I talked to a honda tech I know and he said I might aswell throw the head away
Typical answer from an incompetent source. Tell him he should be working at Wendys.

Each rocker is a 3 piece matched set that should not be interchanged, but you can do so as long as you test them.

You will have to do a manual VTEC pin test on each of the 8 assemblies, to be sure the pins dont bind (since they are now mismatched)

Just make sure that the VTEC pin slides freely among the 3 piece rocker, once you have slid them onto the rocker shafts.

They may also have a 3 piece combined width which can be measured by micrometer. This will ensure there is no excessive oil clearence, or a tight rocker.

You are welcome to send it to me and I will return it assembled.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Billman to the rescue!
Old 08-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Billman250
Originally Posted by anarchy187' timestamp='1346069430' post='21967094
Typical answer from an incompetent source. Tell him he should be working at Wendys.

Selling Turbonators!
Old 08-27-2012, 01:39 PM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

And fuel line magnets. Adds 10 mpg and 20 hp.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anarchy187' timestamp='1346069430' post='21967094

Each rocker is a 3 piece matched set that should not be interchanged, but you can do so as long as you test them.

You will have to do a manual VTEC pin test on each of the 8 assemblies, to be sure the pins dont bind (since they are now mismatched)

Just make sure that the VTEC pin slides freely among the 3 piece rocker, once you have slid them onto the rocker shafts.

They may also have a 3 piece combined width which can be measured by micrometer. This will ensure there is no excessive oil clearence, or a tight rocker.

How do you test them? I'm having the same issue I got my rocker arm assembly in pieces and I am worried I put it back together wrong . I'm not entirely sure what side the spring loaded arm goes on either side of the head .
Old 10-30-2014, 05:34 PM

Received 3,377 Likes on 2,453 Posts

yeah not hard to do, having a shop manual helps. When you get them all lined up in proper order on the long dowels zip tie every set of rockers - 8 sets, this will allow for an easy drop onto the head once it is all done and will keep the pins from falling out. Elastics work well too. If you need a shop manual layout of the valvetrain pm me and I can email you a pic.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:20 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

You could do a little detective work, if you had the cams that correspond with the rockers, being used, you could try to match up wear patterns, or use them as clues to try and match the rocker arm pieces.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:13 AM

Hi Billman,
I’ve been reading lots of your advice given to others over the past few months as I’ve been building my motor and appreciate all the info your previous advice
to others has given.

I’m looking at the service manual and the rocker arm shafts drawing is incorrect when I compare it to the actual shaft. Looking at the oil holes from the ends, one is closer to an end which looks like it should be going toward the front (timing gear) or #1 cam holder. The shafts appear to be identical for intake and exhaust side but should they both be going in the same direction? I’m not sure if I should be following the picture as the drawing is not 100% accurate to the actual shaft and I would think they would go in different directions as the rockers are facing opposite sides of the head as well. I want to be sure I get everything in the correct order as I got it used and not sure if it was taken apart and reassembled. I actually put it all together over the weekend and just got to thinking about it so I’m going to pull it all apart again to confirm direction.

Im not sure if your still active on here but would appreciate your or anyone’s help.. Pictures or other service manual references will highly be appreciated...

Thanks All!

Quick Reply: Rocker Arm Assembly Reassemble