S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rough start in mornings!!!

Old 10-14-2002, 08:11 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If the problem was documented or a fix attempted prior to end of warranty period, this problem is still covered within a reasonable amount of time. That's where they can get you. "Reasonable" can be interpreted differently by different people. And since this problem only occurs about once a year (for me), one year may be a bit too long.
Old 10-23-2002, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, here's the latest update. After getting the car back and waiting for them to talk to their tech support guys at Honda, they were told that it might be a problem with my amps drawing too much power at startup. I told the advisor this was rediculous (we're talking like 150 Watts RMS total), but to cooperate I would go home that night and disconnect them from my battery and then try to start her up the next morning. Of course the next morning it still had the same problem. I called him back and told him this and then he said to let him call tech support back and see what they want to do. I just talked to him today and he says now they are going to have some Technician for our area come out and take a look at it, but that it was going to be like 6 weeks at least before he would be in town. I guess this isn't really a big deal time wise, since we just had our first snow and I'm pretty much not going to be driving her at all until spring anyways.

In the meantime, I am still planning on dropping it off at Ralph Schomp in Denver and have Rob take a look at it. I understand from posts on here that he has an S2K as well, so I'm hoping that a tech who is also an owner might be able to bring some insight to the problem. I told Team Honda this as well and he agreed I should try it, as their hands are tied for the next month or so.

So, I'm off to Denver this weekend to drop my baby off indefinitely. I just hope they are able to figure something out. Just thought I'd post an update. Wish me luck.
Old 10-23-2002, 05:11 PM

Received 1,303 Likes on 793 Posts

Dont listen to that bull about your amp. I would think this engine has what's called an IAC(idle air control) motor. It's a small device mounted on the throttle body that meters idle air moving through a port which goes around the throttle plate. This is the FIRST thing to check out in your case.
Old 10-24-2002, 04:52 AM

This may be a complete stab in the dark! but alot of cars have a thing called an EGR Valve (exhaust gas resurculation) I had a problem with another car ages ago when the engines revs on idle were all over the show, sometimes it even died compleatly and a little blip of the throttle first thing did sometimes worked but when this valve was replaced it was perfect
Andy
Old 10-24-2002, 05:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Andrew Doherty
[B]This may be a complete stab in the dark! but alot of cars have a thing called an EGR Valve (exhaust gas resurculation) I had a problem with another car ages ago when the engines revs on idle were all over the show, sometimes it even died compleatly and a little blip of the throttle first thing did sometimes worked but when this valve was replaced it was perfect
Old 10-24-2002, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

S2000's don't have an EGR? Oh Happy Days!

Anyway, how in the world does the S2000 get certified as an LEV without an EGR? The EGR is supposed to be one of the key items in most emmissions systems at reducing emmissions.
Old 10-24-2002, 12:57 PM

The S2000 does not have an EGR.
Oh well worth a guess, like I said a stab in the dark "with a blindfold"
Andy
Old 10-24-2002, 01:44 PM

I have this problem too. During the summer no problem but recently its been starting and almost stalling. Being as naive as I am about cars I thought it was bc it was just cold but I noticed that when I drive and am slowing down alomst to a stop after I push the clutch pedal in and let off of the gas it almost wants to stall. It comes real close to doing it too. Its a pain. I blip the gas when I first start it and its ok but I dont like to do that because I feel like Im warming up a choke like in my 74 caddy in the morning. My 1 yr warranty expires in the next week so ill look into it.
Old 10-24-2002, 01:47 PM

I have this problem too. During the summer no problem but when recently its been starting and almost stalling. Being as naive as I am I thought it was bc it was just cold but I noticed that when I drive and am slowing down alomst to a stop after I push the clutch pedal in and let off of the gas it almost wants to stall. It comes real close to doing it too. Its a pain. I blip the gas and its ok but I dont like to do that because I feel like Im warming up a choke like in my 74 caddy in the morning. My 1 yr warranty expires in the next week so ill look into it.
Old 10-25-2002, 12:12 AM

Just another thought A few other members on this board have experienced their clutch sticking, (basicly not disengaging) kind of like when you stop and don't put your clutch in and the car shakes then stalls, I wonder if this is related at all?????????????
Andy

Quick Reply: Rough start in mornings!!!