S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

RPM linked whining sound after installing aftermarket TCT

Old 10-30-2017, 04:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RussianHammer
Ballade TCT's have been prone to similar problems, and ive seen both comments on s2ki; as well as facebook.
What bugs me is that they would say " the sound is not something they have heard related to a TCT"

They have had complaints since the origin of their TCT's.

Return it for a refund.
That’s irritating to hear. I spoke with Alex from Ballade and he told me the same thing. I directed him to this thread and he said he couldn’t hear the whine/noise. He wants me to send it back so they can test it and will send me a replacement unit. So that means I’m going to have to wait a week or two before I can drive my car again. Luckily I have another car to drive but after this experience I won't be shopping or recommending Ballade. Not that my opinion matters much.
The following users liked this post:
Singularity (06-20-2019)
Old 10-30-2017, 07:57 PM

Received 1,443 Likes on 967 Posts

Originally Posted by 912S2k
I directed him to this thread and he said he couldn’t hear the whine/noise.
It's kinda hard to judge sounds off computer or cellphone audio. I was listening to it with Sony cans (pretty good quality).

But, I've been around motorcycles for a long time. And the timbre or quality of your chain whine sounds tight, to me --- the sound as the engine decelerates. Esp, on second video. Real tight. Not even close. I'd replace the tensioner, before any more driving.

Sorry.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
It's kinda hard to judge sounds off computer or cellphone audio. I was listening to it with Sony cans (pretty good quality).

But, I've been around motorcycles for a long time. And the timbre or quality of your chain whine sounds tight, to me --- the sound as the engine decelerates. Esp, on second video. Real tight. Not even close. I'd replace the tensioner, before any more driving.

Sorry.
No need to be sorry but if multiple people are stating they're having the same problem with the same product that is the beginning of a trend. That trend should behoove the company to be proactive about their quality control.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:23 AM

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by RussianHammer
Ballade TCT's have been prone to similar problems, and ive seen both comments on s2ki; as well as facebook.
What bugs me is that they would say " the sound is not something they have heard related to a TCT"

They have had complaints since the origin of their TCT's.

Return it for a refund.
Why is Ballade so well regarded in the general S2K community (especially down here in SoCal)?
Old 11-02-2017, 12:47 PM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Probably because Ballade has a local presence and shop in Southern California. No shops with anything regarding the S2000 in my area.

I noted Billman spotted the problem without referring to his own TCT. (Other than in his signature block which is in all his posts.) I have his TCT. Recommend the OP get one as well.

-- Chuck
Old 11-06-2017, 05:53 AM

Update with my TCT.

I sent mine back to BM so they could test the unit on their own engine. It shows that it was delivered on Saturday but haven't heard anything from them.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the update...return shiping cost should be covered by them once they verify that it's indeed a bad tensioner
Old 11-06-2017, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck getting the right refund from Ballade. Heard good things via forums so I thought they were reputable. I went through the process of shipping it back unused, and they totally jacked my refund. I tried calling and emailing them and they're absolutely unresponsive. Quick to tell me they're out of ano blue and send me an aluminium, TCT and take my money, but they do not back their product or policy. Trying to get it back through my credit card company...
Old 11-07-2017, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by honda4eva89
Thanks for the update...return shiping cost should be covered by them once they verify that it's indeed a bad tensioner
I had to pay for the return shipping according to Alex. Which is complete bullshit.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by suki2003
Good luck getting the right refund from Ballade. Heard good things via forums so I thought they were reputable. I went through the process of shipping it back unused, and they totally jacked my refund. I tried calling and emailing them and they're absolutely unresponsive. Quick to tell me they're out of ano blue and send me an aluminium, TCT and take my money, but they do not back their product or policy. Trying to get it back through my credit card company...
Hearing that is not promising, if I don't hear from them today I will be going to same route.

Quick Reply: RPM linked whining sound after installing aftermarket TCT