S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Running in oil

Old 04-17-2006, 12:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]You should not have put synthetic in until at least 7500 miles.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tugz_S2K,Apr 17 2006, 02:09 PM
Im not an oil expert but ill take your word for it
no problem.

Ive done this on my cars before, ran one from new up to 300,000kms before i got rid of it, no problems whatsoever....I tracked my car during the first 1000kms, its ok to change the oil early.
I bolded the important part for you. Those other cars aren't S2000's. The S2000 has Fiber Reinforced Metallic cylinder walls, and they can take up to 7500 miles to properly breakin and set, etc. This is the main reason for the 7500 mile marker before using synthetic oil. You need the moly in the factory fill to help breakin the FRM walls accordingly.

So no, it's not ok to change the oil early.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:40 PM

[QUOTE=Tugz_S2K,Apr 17 2006, 02:11 PM]
As you know, so many misconceptions on this topic.....like I said, i'm at 30,000kms now...car engine is super healthy.
-no oil consumption even after hard lapping
-healthy dyno numbers
-zero emission results across the board during my last e-test...

Thats proof right there....
Old 04-17-2006, 02:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha....I have my credible sources that say Synthetic is ok at the time from when i changed my oil. Not many people lap their cars at 1000kms and then at 5000kms. So 9000kms or 5500miles to synthetic is definatly ok.....no worry in the world here...

email me (tugz_vr6@hotmail) and ill tell you where my source came from.
PM is too full....
Old 04-17-2006, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honda Engineers are not credible sources ? They design and test their engines and they said do not use synthetic oil for the first 7500 miles, and you do not believe them ??? Who is better than designers ?

If you follow Honda recommendations and have problems with your engine, they may pay to fix it. If you follow your "credible sources" you will be responsible for your own action. It is your choice, but do not tell others not to listen to Honda offical recomendations.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

does anyone know if that oil news from honda is real? i see it posted all over, but there is no source..no page #..no date..nothing.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by TR-S2K,Apr 17 2006, 06:45 PM
Honda Engineers are not credible sources ? They design and test their engines and they said do not use synthetic oil for the first 7500 miles, and you do not believe them ??? Who is better than designers ?

If you follow Honda recommendations and have problems with your engine, they may pay to fix it. If you follow your "credible sources" you will be responsible for your own action. It is your choice, but do not tell others not to listen to Honda offical recomendations.
he said his sources were engineers over in japan that he knows. whether he knows them or not, i dont care. if they were fine with people only going til 5000 before switching to synthetic, then they would not have put 7500 in the owner's manuals. but they did.

bottom line is this. members here should follow honda's advice, and you have no right to tell them not to nor tell them it's ok not to. after all, if they have a problem with their car, you're not the one who foots the bill. right? right.

Old 04-17-2006, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by chuhsi,Apr 17 2006, 07:04 PM
does anyone know if that oil news from honda is real? i see it posted all over, but there is no source..no page #..no date..nothing.
yes it's real. if it wasn't i wouldn't be posting it. it was part of a bulletin given to honda dealerships. i'm not a moderator of the under the hood forum so i can lead members down the wrong path.

also, if you want "official" sources to back that up, just find any new S2000 owner's manual. the owner's manual now says to wait til 7500 miles. so there's your source.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Apr 17 2006, 05:14 PM
yes it's real. if it wasn't i wouldn't be posting it. it was part of a bulletin given to honda dealerships. i'm not a moderator of the under the hood forum so i can lead members down the wrong path.

also, if you want "official" sources to back that up, just find any new S2000 owner's manual. the owner's manual now says to wait til 7500 miles. so there's your source.
hahaha..thanks for confirming.

I'll put another vote for the manual. I was planning to switch to Mobil 1 before 10k miles since Mobil claims you can do it at any time without any ill effects. But if Honda says no, then no it is.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:48 PM

Here's what my 2004 owners manual says about oil changes:

pg 100\ Break-in period- Do not change the oil until the scheduled maintenance period.

pg 129-30\ Recommended Engine oil- Oil is a major contributor to your engine's performance and longevity. Always use a premium grade detergent oil displaying the API Certification Seal. This seal indicates the oil is energy conserving, and that it meets the American Petroleum Institute's latest requirements. It is highly recommended that you use Honda motor oil in your vehicle for as long as you own it. Make sure the API certification seal says "For Gasoline Engines".
An oil with a viscosity of 10W-30 is preferred for optimum fuel economy and year round protection in your Honda. You may use a 5W-40 oil if the temperature in your area goes below 0 deg F (-20 deg C).

pg 130\Synthetic oil- You may use a synthetic motor oil if it meets the same requirements given for a conventional motor oil: it displays the API certification seal and it is the proper weight. You must follow the oil and filter change intervals given on the maintenance schedule.

pg 130\Engine oil additives- Your Honda does not require any oil additives. Additives may adversely affect your engine's or transmission's performance and durability.

That's pretty much it. Sounds pretty cut and dry to me.

I don't see any references to what the Honda engineers? were concerned about in the early days, even five years after thay published this often posted technical bulletin article.

IMO, if your still sweating about going to synthetic oil before 10K miles just in case your engine isn't broken in yet, you're going to have to leave the OEM fill in there until 10K. Switching to today's conventional oil is virtually the same as going to synthetic wrt lubrication engine wear properties. You just gain a longer OCI with synthetic oil.

Quick Reply: Running in oil