S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

S2000 accident - frame damage question

Old 05-08-2019, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies! And yes, you guys guessed correctly that the car spun out during the right hand turn. Was rainy, slippery, and had super old tires but the accident was definitely preventable.
Relieved to know there's a chance that the car may not be totaled after all!
I guess I'm confusing the frame with the rocker panel.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:05 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckoz
Ok sure I'm the guy that's wrong.. but still, while not a parking lot... a public street, lost it in an ap2 making a 90 degree turn... lol

still might as well put a mustang where that s2000 is... because something is wrong with this picture.
Glad you find humor in someone else misfortune. to you.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:15 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by moneybadger
Thanks for the replies! And yes, you guys guessed correctly that the car spun out during the right hand turn. Was rainy, slippery, and had super old tires but the accident was definitely preventable.
Relieved to know there's a chance that the car may not be totaled after all!
I guess I'm confusing the frame with the rocker panel.

the rocker panel is indeed the frame, but not part of the X-frame.

The rear quarter on your car doesnt even look damaged.

However, the rear quarter will have to be removed to replace the rocker, the front fender will need to be removed as well, and also your front windshield likely

You will probably need #8 #1 #2. the upright for your front door mounts are likely ****ed, and #8 rear quarter is likely to get damaged during removal, and the door latch probably pulled the panel.

so yes, its the frame..as these cars are unibody design, with many panels welded and seamed to create stiffness...
Old 05-09-2019, 06:29 AM

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts

I would be more worried about the floor pan, the rail(directly under the seat) and the fuel/brake lines right next to it, as it looks like they're all resting on the fire hydrant.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Orjinal
I would be more worried about the floor pan, the rail(directly under the seat) and the fuel/brake lines right next to it, as it looks like they're all resting on the fire hydrant.
The floor pan is indeed damaged - there's a dent in it where the car rested on top of the hydrant.

The fuel/brake lines are fine (no leaks, car is still highway drivable with no noticeable pulling) and the frame rail was untouched.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:17 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by moneybadger
The floor pan is indeed damaged -
Well... you can't replace that.

the floor pan and trans tunnel #18 are the center of the x-frame and center of the car
Old 05-09-2019, 09:42 AM

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts

The floor pan CAN be replaced however due to its high labor cost, in just about every claim case it will be enough to total the car.

I bought my current s2000 from a salvage auction and it was totaled due to floor pan damage. All I did was hammer it back down and its good enough for me.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:20 AM

Received 280 Likes on 140 Posts

Actually I don't think you can even buy the x-bone frame members. Here are a few views of the x-bone; as you can see, neither the floor pan nor the side sills are actually part of the x-bone structure.

Since the car still drives pretty well, sounds like the damage is limited to the door, side sills, and floor pan. The door should be replaced, but the sill and floor pan might be repairable without removing them. (Removal could be problematic since they're likely welded to the x-bone.)

I think you should go ahead and try to get it fixed.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:40 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by twohoos
Actually I don't think you can even buy the x-bone frame members. Here are a few views of the x-bone; as you can see, neither the floor pan nor the side sills are actually part of the x-bone structure.

Since the car still drives pretty well, sounds like the damage is limited to the door, side sills, and floor pan. The door should be replaced, but the sill and floor pan might be repairable without removing them. (Removal could be problematic since they're likely welded to the x-bone.)

I think you should go ahead and try to get it fixed.
Cool pics. Makes me appreciate our cars even more.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:58 PM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

Shut lines on the door look to be ok ..

Quick Reply: S2000 accident - frame damage question