Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > General Interest > S2000 Under The Hood
Reload this Page >

S2000 accident - frame damage question

S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

S2000 accident - frame damage question

 
Old 05-08-2019, 05:31 PM
  #11  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for the replies! And yes, you guys guessed correctly that the car spun out during the right hand turn. Was rainy, slippery, and had super old tires but the accident was definitely preventable.
Relieved to know there's a chance that the car may not be totaled after all!
I guess I'm confusing the frame with the rocker panel.
moneybadger is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 06:05 AM
  #12  
Former Moderator
 
sam_spider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 36,911
Received 267 Likes on 188 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Deckoz View Post
Ok sure I'm the guy that's wrong.. but still, while not a parking lot... a public street, lost it in an ap2 making a 90 degree turn... lol

still might as well put a mustang where that s2000 is... because something is wrong with this picture.
Glad you find humor in someone else misfortune. to you.
sam_spider is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 06:15 AM
  #13  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 465
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by moneybadger View Post
Thanks for the replies! And yes, you guys guessed correctly that the car spun out during the right hand turn. Was rainy, slippery, and had super old tires but the accident was definitely preventable.
Relieved to know there's a chance that the car may not be totaled after all!
I guess I'm confusing the frame with the rocker panel.

the rocker panel is indeed the frame, but not part of the X-frame.

The rear quarter on your car doesnt even look damaged.

However, the rear quarter will have to be removed to replace the rocker, the front fender will need to be removed as well, and also your front windshield likely

You will probably need #8 #1 #2. the upright for your front door mounts are likely ****ed, and #8 rear quarter is likely to get damaged during removal, and the door latch probably pulled the panel.





so yes, its the frame..as these cars are unibody design, with many panels welded and seamed to create stiffness...
Deckoz is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 06:29 AM
  #14  
 
Orjinal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,007
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

I would be more worried about the floor pan, the rail(directly under the seat) and the fuel/brake lines right next to it, as it looks like they're all resting on the fire hydrant.
Orjinal is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 08:56 AM
  #15  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Orjinal View Post
I would be more worried about the floor pan, the rail(directly under the seat) and the fuel/brake lines right next to it, as it looks like they're all resting on the fire hydrant.
The floor pan is indeed damaged - there's a dent in it where the car rested on top of the hydrant.

The fuel/brake lines are fine (no leaks, car is still highway drivable with no noticeable pulling) and the frame rail was untouched.
moneybadger is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 09:17 AM
  #16  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 465
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by moneybadger View Post
The floor pan is indeed damaged -
Well... you can't replace that.



the floor pan and trans tunnel #18 are the center of the x-frame and center of the car
Deckoz is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 09:42 AM
  #17  
 
Orjinal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,007
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

The floor pan CAN be replaced however due to its high labor cost, in just about every claim case it will be enough to total the car.

I bought my current s2000 from a salvage auction and it was totaled due to floor pan damage. All I did was hammer it back down and its good enough for me.
Orjinal is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 10:20 AM
  #18  
 
twohoos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 3,639
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Actually I don't think you can even buy the x-bone frame members. Here are a few views of the x-bone; as you can see, neither the floor pan nor the side sills are actually part of the x-bone structure.




Since the car still drives pretty well, sounds like the damage is limited to the door, side sills, and floor pan. The door should be replaced, but the sill and floor pan might be repairable without removing them. (Removal could be problematic since they're likely welded to the x-bone.)

I think you should go ahead and try to get it fixed.
twohoos is offline  
Old 05-10-2019, 02:40 PM
  #19  
 
00S2K01S4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,340
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by twohoos View Post
Actually I don't think you can even buy the x-bone frame members. Here are a few views of the x-bone; as you can see, neither the floor pan nor the side sills are actually part of the x-bone structure.




Since the car still drives pretty well, sounds like the damage is limited to the door, side sills, and floor pan. The door should be replaced, but the sill and floor pan might be repairable without removing them. (Removal could be problematic since they're likely welded to the x-bone.)

I think you should go ahead and try to get it fixed.
Cool pics. Makes me appreciate our cars even more.
00S2K01S4 is offline  
Old 05-10-2019, 02:58 PM
  #20  
 
noodels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mars
Posts: 3,518
Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts
Default

Shut lines on the door look to be ok ..
noodels is offline  

Quick Reply: S2000 accident - frame damage question


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands