S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

S2000 OEM Oil Filter Summary-New 2021 version

Old 01-26-2021, 06:14 PM

Received 419 Likes on 349 Posts

I get the oil light for a second or two when I use a 5w30, but it doesn't happen with a 10w30. Car runs smooth and doesn't make any abnormal noises, so I figure it's fine. I'll find out when I get a UOA on this overly expensive oil.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:29 PM

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Matchbox
... it looks like the guys at "Bob is the oil guy" are right when they say that the bypass valve size and pressure setting is only chosen by the filter manufacturer to match the filter media.
For aftermarket filters, yeah, not surprising to think they'd use a one size fits all for the bypass. For most cars, the variation in oem bypass specs for everything from a small inline 4 to a large V8 isn't gonna be that significant.

So you can imagine they'd wanna use same formula for the S filter. But for the oem filter, the vendor has to follow Honda specs. Its not up to them, its Honda that decides.
The following users liked this post:
rpg51 (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 04:20 AM

Received 280 Likes on 203 Posts

@ Car analogay: O.K. valid argument. But why is the bypass valve of the -004 roughly twice the size compared with the new -306? Have a look at the pictures.
The difference in the size of the bypass valves between the -004 and the -306 is more a proof of the theorie that the bypas valve is selected only by the filter manufactuerer, in my opinion. And i could be wrong.
By the way, what about sport bikes? 1000cc, 14.000 RPM. High oil pressure. They ran flawless with every "off the shelf" aftermarket oil filter.

In the end, there is to much guessing here. Its a pitty that we dont get facts, education, a "Oil filter 101" from the filter manufacturers beside advertising.

I will try the new -306 and hope it solves the problem. If not, i could investigate (again) further.

Old 01-27-2021, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by darcyw
maybe disconnect the fuel pump and turn the engine over till the light goes out. The engine will turn over at a slower speed, reducing risks of prolonged (1-2 sec) "dry" start. I "prime" my car this way every spring before taking out of winter storage (I also have a clutch interlock bypass).
darcy
I pull the fuse of the fuel pump and crank the engine over until it has oil pressure (Oil light off) before i start it for the first time after the winter storage. But it is a little bit unpractical for everyday use.
One could simply install a switch in the wire between fuel pump relais and the fuel pump, on the other hand...
The following users liked this post:
MartyRay (04-25-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
This oil filter controversy is like most oil controversies. Maybe, a bit too much thinking.

I figure if Honda designed a filter specifically for the S2000. Assign a certain few aftermarket manufacturers to build them to Honda's specs. AND the darn thing is still available --- buy the darn thing and use it, as intended. I mean, how many times do you change the filter, in one year? Twice, three times max? Use the 004 or 306, as intended, and forget about it.

NOW, if you can't find the 004 and 306, go with what is the best substitute in your area. Tighten with a torque wrench. Remove the stubborn stuck filter with a ratchet and filter wrench. Be cognizant, of the high RPMs and the oil pressures S2000 runs at which the Civic or any other Honda (except their motorcycles) does not. Figure out the safety solutions and use them.

There! Wasn't that easy? Sorry for the sarcasm, the Devil made me do it.

You are absolutely right, but you havent consider that the problem with the oil light that stays on for 1-2 seconds after the engine starts annoys me to death.
I want to get rid of this problem.
Old 01-27-2021, 05:42 AM

Received 1,451 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Matchbox
You are absolutely right, but you havent consider that the problem with the oil light that stays on for 1-2 seconds after the engine starts annoys me to death.
I want to get rid of this problem.
I'm not sure how changing the oil filter brand effect cold morning oil pressure? Doesn't most of cold morning oil bypass the filter by means of a valve, within the casting of the oil filter holder? Until the pressure reaches a certain value?

This could mean that what little oil is passing through that MANN filter is under higher pressure, due to flow restrictions of the unit?

Anyhow, I was taught long oil pressure light, during cold start is primarily due to increase in main and rod bearing tolerances, due to wear. Changing the filter may change when the light goes on-&-off, but not fix the bearing wear issue. One or seconds of red light is fine. Unless, the time the light is staying on is getting longer. Or the the light is coming on, at operating temps. Like at stop lights.

Last edited by windhund116; 01-27-2021 at 05:49 AM.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:33 AM

In my opinion it is the anti drainback vlave in the filter that is the culprit of the problem.
If the anti drainabck valve of the -004 is not working correct, some oil is running out of the filter every time the engine is shut down. Therefore, the engine needs to refill the filter at every start. This causes the Oil light to stay on until the filter is filled again and the air bubble is pressed out of the system.

Usually you could see the same effect at the oil light when you install a new filter and start the engine for the first time afterwards. The Oil light stays on for a little bit longer until the filter is filled completly for the first time. Then, afterwards, this should NOT happen again until you change the filter again.

After i have installed the MANN filter for a test the problem went away. The oil light get of in a "Blink of a eye" every time i start the engine. I think this ia 100% proof that the anti drainback valve in the -004 was defective and the one in the MANN worked as it should. The smaller size of the MANN filter is also maybe helpfull, because the pump could fill the filter faster at start, building up pressure faster.

OH, BY THE WAY, this is important: I forgott to mention that i removed the -004 filter in spring 2020 after the winter storage, before i start the engine. I found the filter almost completly dry, there where mayby only 2 shot glasses of oil left. Clealry, the anti drain back valve was defective and all oil dripped out of the filter. This should not happen.

So, i am 100% convinced that a bad anti drainback valve at some -004 filters is the culprit of the problem. I think there was a bad batch of this filters.

The next problem ist, that i am maybe the only person that care about this problem an wont to solve it, most other owners dont care about it, it seems. But i am a 100% believer that most wear on engines happens on start and that the oil light should get off as quickly as possible to avoid unnecessary engine wear.

And, to make things clear, i wolud not care and think about this problem for a second when it happen on my winter beater, the old VW golf because i can find a spare engine for this car here on junkjards for 400,-€ within 2 days.
Trying to find a spare engine for a S2000 is a little more difficult.. that is the reasoen why i want to get rid of the problem, too. I want to pamper this particiluar engine.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:53 AM

Received 1,142 Likes on 1,005 Posts

I get the oil light for a second or two when I use a 5w30, but it doesn't happen with a 10w30.
Quick way to increase oil pressure is use a heavier oil. Put straight 40 grade in there and you'll get lots of pressure.

Increased pressure 'cuz the heavier oil is harder to push and does not flow as well and that resistance shows on the gauge/light. But what we want is flow to the bearings. The pressure spec is based on 10W-30 so it's not surprisingly a lighter, freer flowing oil will not build up pressure for a second or two. Worn engines naturally have larger spaces in between the bearing surfaces oil fill flow freer and will not require the same oil pressure as a new, tight engine. Mine just rolled over 60,000 miles. @Mr.Matchbox How many miles on yours? (Didn't find in the notes.)

Right how I'm putting this in the PII category. Preoccupation with Inconsequential Increments.

-- Chuck
Old 01-27-2021, 08:06 AM

Around 80 000 Kilometers / 50 000 Miles on the engine.
But, as i wrote, i belive that the anti drain back valve of the filter is the main problem.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:02 AM

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,013 Posts

I concur from your description that the anti drainback valve was the issue. But no one else has reported this issue, so also concur it was either a bad batch, or counterfeit filters.

The bypass valves appear different. But that doesn't mean their important functions of pressure and flow are different. Its possible to achieve the same result in different ways.

Quick Reply: S2000 OEM Oil Filter Summary-New 2021 version