S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

S2000 Power steering sensor issues FIXED.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Default S2000 Power steering sensor issues FIXED.

My prediction: Every single S2k will have this issue.

My power steering was lumpy, inconsistent, only power steered in one direction, and started happening on cold/cool starts. Also had a death shake if you gave it a quick flick.

What I found was dried up grease and a bit of sand/dirt in the sensor was the culprit. This means that every single S2K will see this issue at some point and you will have to fix it since honda no longer sells this part. If you have already replaced the sensor, KEEP the old one. Someone will want it. From what I've seen on mine, I'm guessing all can be repaired. People in dry and dusty environments will likely see this issue first.

I took mine out, cleaned the dirt from under the plastic ring and used high temp urea grease and its good as new. I'm still not sure if the urea grease was the best/right call, but it's what I had on hand. I felt it was a good choice. Original grease was green, and since it is used on the shifter(plastic), it should be safe to use on plastic parts.

DO NOT USE WD40 or any other penetrating lube as others have suggested. That is a very poor fix that works, but will do more damage in the long term. You must take it apart and CLEAN it. The sensor is designed to operate with minimal grease and NO oil.

Write up draft:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
I will continue to edit as people leave feedback.

Last edited by keyboarddriver; 12-30-2018 at 07:43 PM. Reason: revising
The following 8 users liked this post by keyboarddriver:
Bricktop ivi (05-23-2021), Kenive (06-17-2022), Mr.Matchbox (11-30-2019), PJK3 (11-23-2020), rpg51 (10-10-2020), SkidPad (12-01-2019), SomethingWicked (05-15-2022), zze86 (12-02-2019) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-30-2018, 10:33 PM

Received 613 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by keyboarddriver
My prediction: Every single S2k will have this issue.

My power steering was lumpy, inconsistent, only power steered in one direction, and started happening on cold/cool starts. Also had a death shake if you gave it a quick flick.

What I found was dried up grease and a bit of sand/dirt in the sensor was the culprit. This means that every single S2K will see this issue at some point and you will have to fix it since honda no longer sells this part. If you have already replaced the sensor, KEEP the old one. Someone will want it. From what I've seen on mine, I'm guessing all can be repaired. People in dry and dusty environments will likely see this issue first.

I took mine out, cleaned the dirt from under the plastic ring and used high temp urea grease and its good as new. I'm still not sure if the urea grease was the best/right call, but it's what I had on hand. I felt it was a good choice. Original grease was green, and since it is used on the shifter(plastic), it should be safe to use on plastic parts.

DO NOT USE WD40 as others have suggested. That is a very poor fix that works, but will do more damage than its worth. You have to take it apart and CLEAN it. The sensor is designed to operate with minimal grease and NO oil.

I will edit this post with a full write up and youtube video at some point in the future.
Interested in the writeup. I'll probably do that this spring. If the sensor is easy to remove I'll take it out and clean it up.
The following users liked this post:
HarryD (12-30-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 03:23 AM

Received 403 Likes on 338 Posts

Deoxit or CRC work great as well, and if you have some hand skills you can just lift the dust seal without removing the unit. The service manual says to grease the dust shield yearly with general purpose grease, I'm guessing that keeps the dirt out of the unit.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:43 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There are a couple threads about the EPS Torque Sensor. I just replaced mine, but I'm pretty sure I could have opened up the old one and cleaned it out. Given it's really just a big potentiometer, most likely the contacts get dirty and corroded over time.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:58 AM

Received 1,555 Likes on 924 Posts

After reading a few threads on this, I kept up a search on eBay. I found a torque sensor from an 07 with 70K miles for $35. If and when I have issues, I will most likely do the cleaning route but I have it when I need it.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Deoxit or CRC work great as well
Do NOT do this. This is terrible advice as it will cause the dust and grime to go everywhere inside the sensor. It is meant to be very clean inside.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:14 PM

Edited post with link to writeup draft.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:32 AM

Received 403 Likes on 338 Posts

Do NOT do this. This is terrible advice as it will cause the dust and grime to go everywhere inside the sensor. It is meant to be very clean inside.
Then why did it work for me and others that have tried it? Putting urea grease inside the plastic piece does nothing whatsoever. That beige plastic bit is the reluctor ring, the sensor housing has the sensor that reads the position of the plastic piece. That's what gets dirty and needs cleaning.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:54 PM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

Please elaborate. Tuner cleaner spray would clean the sensor, which is just a potentiometer.

Perhaps your unexpressed concerned is the cleaner would just force the contaminents further into the rack?
Old 11-30-2019, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if this resurrects this, but given the importance of the topic I'd like to mention that this worked perfectly on mine. Mine had been pulsing when it was cold, but suddenly while I was driving I lost power steering while turning right, when i turned left it wouldn't correct in curves, and once it even turned right abruptly while I was correcting a left turn. The instructions worked great, and I was even able fit an electric impact ratchet in the tight spots while removing the 2 bolts that hold it into the pinion. I don't have an "after" image, but here is a "before";

Quick Reply: S2000 Power steering sensor issues FIXED.