S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Serpentine Belt

Old 02-12-2014, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serpentine Belt

Hey All,

I have my own individual questions about the serpentine belt.

1) I want to make sure there is no timing involved which means I can change it at will (obv when the car is off )
2) All i have to do is release tension from tensioner and its off?

Also the belt has to be 6 ribbed right?

I work at an autozone (no i dont put autozone stuff in my car) but I was wondering if "Dayco" the brand they sell for belts at autozone okay?

I have a CAI so it couldnt get any easier to change. I just have my precautions.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

easy on, easy off... timing nothing to do with it. Can't vouch for brand or ribs though... got mine at Honda.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:04 PM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

Have not done it myself but I have heard recommendations to use Honda OEM.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Have not done it myself but I have heard recommendations to use Honda OEM.
All Honda recommends Honda. All Ford recommends Ford. A Honda belt is not special, it's just a belt.

OP, you will need a wrench or 3/8 ratchet drive to release belt tension. It's very easy on and off, very hard to mess up. S2000 belt is 5 ribs, although when you get your belt from the parts store they will already know how many ribs and the length of the belt. You can take your belt off and take it to the parts store when you get your belt to compare length.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:13 AM

Received 1,244 Likes on 759 Posts

Take this to the bank, the Honda S2000 belt is not just a belt.

Hold it side by side against any store bought belt, the make up is completely different.

Run it for 75k, then inspect both belts. It will be obvious which is superior.

I have seen belts on many S2000s (hundreds) none of them can hold up or last like the factory belt.

Factor in high RPM or track use, using a cheap belt will prove a very bad choice.

It's 6 rib, not 5.
The following users liked this post:
dedonderosa (03-10-2022)
Old 02-13-2014, 03:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I run Goodyear Gatorback belts on all my cars. Never had a failure. Available from Summit Racing....just use their part selector. The O.E.M belt is great but mine had cracks after 5 years of normal use. Electra's Gator is now 8 years old with many more miles and looks new.

21 bucks and change......

Utah
Old 02-14-2014, 03:13 AM

I use a dayco belt in my s2000, if it cracks i'll replace it with an OEM one. The belt that I have on is not showing any wear. It was only 16$ and a five minute install. If anything happens its an easy fix.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Take this to the bank, the Honda S2000 belt is not just a belt.

Hold it side by side against any store bought belt, the make up is completely different.

Run it for 75k, then inspect both belts. It will be obvious which is superior.

I have seen belts on many S2000s (hundreds) none of them can hold up or last like the factory belt.

Factor in high RPM or track use, using a cheap belt will prove a very bad choice.

It's 6 rib, not 5.
For the purpose of operating the vehicle and spinning the pulleys most belts will work just fine. I don't know what an OEM belt costs and I do understand that on some level the quality may be superior to the majority of cheap or decent aftermarket belts however the belt will still work. In some cases I wouldn't recommend aftermarket alternatives because on some of the vehicle parts they do matter, a serpentine belt, I suppose unless racing, isn't one of them in my opinion.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my oem serpentine belt is factory original and hasnt cracked yet on the ribs, no squeels either, at 72k right now-9 years old pretty good, oem ones are usually 40-70$ dont qoute me im just guessing but i never see aftermarket ones last nearly as long
Old 02-14-2014, 11:30 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Local dealer sells OEM belts for $108 here. I went with the a Goodyear belt. Even if you buy it over the counter, you'll still be saving money. Unless Honda is impregnating their belts with some wonder-magic, I don't see it being any better than a Goodyear, especially at that price.

Quick Reply: Serpentine Belt