S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Service bulletin

Old 07-09-2002, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guarantee you that if this is a problem that ALL F20C's have or that CAN manifest on all F20C's, I'll be first in line to buy the parts necessary and do the work myself, if need be. I'd much prefer that Honda do this for me, however.

In fact, I might pursue friends that I have in the region to look into this for me.

Any chance anyone can get a copy of the procedure for the repair/"update?" I understand we should be waiting patiently for AHM to get their ducks in a row, but I have been SORELY dissappointed in the past with AHM's reaction time and attitude towards problems caused by Americans driving their Hondas like Europeans do.
Old 07-09-2002, 05:43 AM
pfb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fact:
Drivers in Europe do use their cars differently than in the US. Therefore there are different mechanical situations that come up.
I'm sorry, I don't buy that for a second.

While the average European driver might drive differently than the average US driver, the types of "mechanical situations" that come up in Europe will absolutely appear in the US, possibly at a different "situation" rate. Doesn't mean AHM shouldn't address the problem for the 10% of owners that will experience the "situation".
Old 07-09-2002, 05:52 AM

Received 5,075 Likes on 3,059 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by txst
[B]

Not that I want a "#4 cylinder" problem with my engine, but we need to relax here a bit.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by cdelena

All true.. but if Honda Europe finds it important to upgrade a component designed to keep the pistons cool there is a 99% chance it is needed by many of us. AHM may 'think' that we drive substantially different than they do in Europe, and that may be true for them stuck on LA freeways, but I can guarantee it is not true for many of us. Ask the Houston guys what their average speed was to Knoxville last year. There are plenty of places in this country to drive a steady 120+ in sixth or keep the car above 6K rpm for extended periods. I don't buy the story that we should have inferior equipment because we have lower speed limits.
You have to put yourself in Honda's shoes. If a small number of people in the US drive illegally at 120MPH for extended times is it worth recalling 20,000+ cars for a problem has a POSSIBILITY of happening to less then .05% of us? (Of course, that would still suck if we were one of those people, but I assure you all consumers are part of these decisions from manufacturers every day for all products that we purchase - there are accepted failure rates for everything). That is assuming what Woodwork said is NOT true - that these banjo bolts are in fact being replaced because of the #4 cylinder issue. In all honesty, I believe Woodwork. How many people who have done extended high speed runs have had problems with #4? Many people on Barry's list had the failure occur at very low mileage without any correlation to high speed runs (including Barry's engine which failed during his break-in). There are many products that are designed differently for European consumers as compared to US consumers - most every automobile, for instance, and even many products that I have designed in my career.

Ponder this scenario: If replacing the banjo bolts had a probability of .05% of decreasing the chance of engine failure, would I have a dealer open up the bottom end of my engine? I don't think I would have the work done - some dealers have a hard enough time changing the oil on these cars. Of course, that is a personal preference.

I'm just from the camp that we should wait and see what shakes out. We are a pretty close community with a lot of know-how and a great history of sharing information, as Ronald, Barry and even Woodwork have proven. Hopefully it will all become clearer in the near future.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:51 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

which thread did Woodwork post to?
Old 07-09-2002, 01:57 PM
pll

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...6541#post856541

Put him on your buddy list
Old 07-09-2002, 02:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by txst
[B]

You have to put yourself in Honda's shoes
Old 07-09-2002, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by cdelena

But I am very much more interested in my limited rights as a vested consumer with little recourse than their strategy to maximize profits.

i hear that!!!!
Old 07-09-2002, 03:46 PM
RT

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cdelena
[B]

Please read my posts before you preach to me. I never thought or claimed that this was related to the #4 problem, and I have no issue with WW.. in fact we have spoken in the past and probably agree on most things.
Old 07-09-2002, 04:10 PM
RT

OK, now that we got it straight from the horses @$$ that AHM is not planning to release the "not a recall" in the USA, who's got the skills to concoct a b!tch'n a$$ Form Letter?

Quick Reply: Service bulletin