S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Service bulletin

Old 06-14-2002, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ronald, your translation is almost perfect!

We request kindly - preferably on short term - to contact your official Honda dealer for an appointment

For me this means that it's urgent. No more VTEC ?

My car get the fixes on June 28th.
Old 06-14-2002, 05:02 PM
Former Moderator

Originally posted by jschmidt
Here's betting a buck that American Honda will be last to the game.
see that and raise 10 units.
Old 06-15-2002, 05:31 AM

Just had something to do with the oil feed replaced on my car. It's a sump off job, so they replace the engine oil. Might want to check in advance with the dealer, to check what they intend to replace it with.
Old 06-15-2002, 08:51 AM

I haven't received anything yet from Honda Belgium. Mine is MY2000.
Old 06-16-2002, 03:48 AM

Honda(UK) had my car for five weeks to carry out other work, as I have lost faith in the dealer network here. They asked if they could perform the update, although the bulletin has not gone to the dealers yet.

Mine was built in '99, so I guess that it applies to every car built. There was a delay in obtaining the parts, so it is likely to be a very recent design update. IMHO the recall will apply to the 2002 model as well.
Old 06-17-2002, 08:35 AM

Well, Well, Well, what do you know; it's nice to see some national Honda divisions are acknowledging this problem. Of course I'm already possibly quite screwed by this since my S2000 is sitting out on the street with the beginnings of a #4 cylinder failure (tap tap tap). Fortunately I have an aftermarket extended warrantee which might, or might not, cover it.

However, my guess is that we are only seeing the beginnings of this and that many more people are going to have this problem after their warrantees expire. My car was on a sort of accelerated wear program with 44,000 miles and 4,600 of those on the track, not to mention my normal high speed desert driving in high temperatures. My guess is that many people will develop the problem in the 60-80k range. So that means we should act now...

I would like to see the several thousand S2000 owners in the U.S. who visit S2KI all write letters, or make some concerted attempt, to write or otherwise bug the crap out of American Honda to have this problem treated like a recall, like it is in the Netherlands. We would have a good case since it's been acknowledged by Honda in other countries, so it should be here. But I'm sure, as Chris says, they won't do anything unless we get on them.

Anyone interested in organizing the full scale assault?

I've temporarily lost faith in Honda as The Great Engine Company and have told my brother, who's in the market, to buy a WRX instead. Of course there's nothing wrong with building the greatest production motor ever and having problems with it, but not acknowledging these problems and not backing up the customer shows really bad faith. Could lead to some bad publicity.

dt
Old 06-17-2002, 01:13 PM

Received 280 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm with ya, dt!

We'll need a little help from our overseas friends: can you guys post a scan of the actual service bulletin and accompanying letter?

-John

P.S. dt, sorry to hear about the car - that just really sucks. Will you have your S at THill? At the risk of appearing like a vulture, I'm sure that many of us owners would be interested to hear the dreaded "tap-tap"...
Old 06-17-2002, 02:24 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by twohoos
[B]P.S. DT, sorry to hear about the car - that just really sucks.
Old 06-17-2002, 04:28 PM

John,

No, I'll be driving krazik's car at THILL. Mine is not driveable. I'm afraid every time I have to start it to move it out of the street cleaning zone. Should be at the dealership next week, but they're denying that there's any such #4 cylinder problem despite all my evidence, because Honda NA doesn't have a TSB for them to look at.

Also, refer to me as dt (edit previous post if you don't mind) for the time being (warrantee paranoia).

dt
Old 06-17-2002, 05:00 PM

Received 280 Likes on 140 Posts

Quick Reply: Service bulletin