S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

shaky idle

Old 09-14-2011, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Weasel497
I have this problem too, but only with the AC on. If I blip the throttle a bit, like backing out of a parking spot, when i let off, it idles down and shakes pretty bad. But with the AC off, it's fine.

This happens to me ALL the time, seems like after I clean the throttle body it gets better for a bit (Not 100%) but within a week its back to doing it again. The idle drops below where its supposed to and then quickly gets back up.. Never did find a real solution.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:06 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

mine does it too...
Old 09-15-2011, 07:27 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

Clean the IAC valve.

You will need a special tool called a pentacle bit. It's a five point torx.

Remove the valve assy.

Take the electronic motor part off the valve with the pentacle bit. BE CAREFUL...there are 2 tiny special shaped spacer plates between the valve and the motor. Work on top of a clean towel, dont loose them. Put it aside. Don't clean it at all in any way. A light wipe with a dry rag is ok, but it wont need it.

The VALVE part has a rotary shaft inside that spins 360 degrees. if it is sticking, the ecu input to move this valve will lag, and you will get the idle dip/shake/come back up. Just whip the shaft free with your finger, use no cleaner at all. Even add a drop of oil to each end to the tiny shaft bearings.

Spin that shaft with with your fingers till it spins free and smooth.
The following users liked this post:
TKY (04-03-2020)
Old 09-22-2011, 01:39 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
Clean the IAC valve.

Remove the valve assy.

Take the electronic motor part off the valve with the pentacle bit. BE CAREFUL...there are 2 tiny special shaped spacer plates between the valve and the motor. Work on top of a clean towel, dont loose them. Put it aside. Don't clean it at all in any way. A light wipe with a dry rag is ok, but it wont need it.

The VALVE part has a rotary shaft inside that spins 360 degrees. if it is sticking, the ecu input to move this valve will lag, and you will get the idle dip/shake/come back up. clean this out with cab cleaner, blow dry it. Even add a drop of oil to each end to the tiny shaft bearings.

I trust Bill!
Old 09-22-2011, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can I get this tool? And what kind of oil would you suggest putting on the bearings? Just a dab of motor oil?
Old 09-25-2011, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump!! Want to know how to do this...
Old 09-25-2011, 03:35 PM

I'm gonna try this as well. Mine does the EXACT same thing.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:55 PM

Many thanks Billman!! I had previously tried to clean the IAC valve but did not take off the motor to clean the barrel. Thought my gas cap was the problem but quickly discovered that was not it. After cleaning the IAC valve as you described, my idle is back to normal. I did remove the computer backup fuse to reset the computer and after it relearned all seems well. Many of your tips and techniques have helped keep my S2000 running at it's best.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Clean the IAC valve.

Remove the valve assy.

The VALVE part has a rotary shaft inside that spins 360 degrees. if it is sticking, the ecu input to move this valve will lag, and you will get the idle dip/shake/come back up. clean this out with cab cleaner, blow dry it. Even add a drop of oil to each end to the tiny shaft bearings.

So I tried to completely clean the IAC valve and I ended up breaking it instead. I thought I'd post the pic just to warn others to be careful.

I used a dremel to slot the screw heads since I could not find a 5-point bit.

I then attempted to remove the rotary shaft by lightly prying on the end of it. DO NOT DO THIS. It's a brittle magnet which instantly broke into pieces. Major bummer. I'm assuming now Billman's instructions meant to just rotate the shaft to clean it, not remove it.

Anyone have an IAC valve to sell? I think the part number is "36460-PCX-003 VALVE ASSY., ROTARY AIR CONTROL" for my '04. Is the same one used on '00-'05? What changed in '06?
Old 12-28-2011, 03:12 PM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

I NEVER said remove it please read carefully. I likely have one laying around.

00-05 valves are all the same.

06-09 does not have an IAC valve, as idle is controlled by the electronic throttle body.

Quick Reply: shaky idle