S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is skipping 1st gear ok?

Old 06-18-2005, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is skipping 1st gear ok?

I realize skipping gears in general is a bad idea, because it often doesnt allow for the synchros to achieve the correct speed in time.

However what about skipping 1st gear when coming almost to a stop.
here is an example, slowing down for some reason, to lets say about 15mph, put it into neutral, and then when at about 12mph, put it into 2nd and continue normally.

I realized that i sometimes do this, and probably should stop it, so thats why im asking. I always revmatch though, but i realize that a mistake could be made.

Or should i not be asking this question and either just:
1. Come to a complete stop and put it into 1st gear
2. Let it slow down a bit more, and then put it into 1st (cars often dont let you shift into 1st if either the revs or speed is too high like >10mph)
Old 06-18-2005, 05:19 PM

You aren't really skipping a gear, you are down shifting.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tizbad2k,Jun 18 2005, 05:54 PM
However what about skipping 1st gear when coming almost to a stop.
here is an example, slowing down for some reason, to lets say about 15mph, put it into neutral, and then when at about 12mph, put it into 2nd and continue normally.
Shifting to second in order to accelerate from 12 mph is not particularly bad for the car. No worries. But 12 mph is pretty close to the lowest limit. On a pre-'04 car, 12 mph would be about 1800 rpm. The car should have enough power to accelerate there -- but not very quickly.

Slipping the clutch in order to use second from a dead stop (or so close to one that the car would otherwise stall) is an abuse of the clutch. Shift to first gear if the car would stall or lug in second. If the car will still pull without slipping the clutch, then second is fine.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by vAnt,Jun 18 2005, 09:19 PM
You aren't really skipping a gear, you are down shifting.
well i meant actually shift 2nd ->nuetral , let itcoast for a bit in neutral so the revs drop to idle, then like a few seconds later, shift neutral--->2nd.

so the revs drop the whole way and then are rev matched to current speed when i shift into 2nd again.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:08 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Jun 18 2005, 08:40 PM
Shifting to second in order to accelerate from 12 mph is not particularly bad for the car. No worries. But 12 mph is pretty close to the lowest limit. On a pre-'04 car, 12 mph would be about 1800 rpm. The car should have enough power to accelerate there -- but not very quickly.

Slipping the clutch in order to use second from a dead stop (or so close to one that the car would otherwise stall) is an abuse of the clutch. Shift to first gear if the car would stall or lug in second. If the car will still pull without slipping the clutch, then second is fine.
I would have thought that (assuming you're smooth enough you don't stall the engine) starting from a dead stop at a higher gear would be easier on the clutch (less torque being delivered)?

I am thinking this is probably bad for the engine though, since the engine is being overloaded, and not running efficiently.

Does this make any sense?
Old 06-18-2005, 06:10 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tizbad2k,Jun 18 2005, 08:48 PM
well i meant actually shift 2nd ->nuetral , let itcoast for a bit in neutral so the revs drop to idle, then like a few seconds later, shift neutral--->2nd.

so the revs drop the whole way and then are rev matched to current speed when i shift into 2nd again.
I don't think there's anything wrong with this, but if you're concerned about the synchros, maybe try rev matching?
Old 06-18-2005, 06:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tizbad2k,Jun 18 2005, 06:48 PM

Why are you even bothering to go into neutral and then back to 2nd? Why don't you just stay in 2nd? I just don't get all these extra motions. What are you trying to do?
If you're coming to a stop, then continue to downshift till you are in 2nd. If it's too difficult or too awkward or too much fuss for you to go into 1st while still moving, then just push in the clutch once the car's speed get slow enough that you might be lugging second and use your brakes to come to a complete stop. Once stopped, put it into 1st in preparation to take off again.
If you do not plan to come to a complete stop, then continue to downshift and once you get to a slow enough speed where 1st will engage easily without any fanfare, then do it and release the clutch, apply throttle and take off as you normally would from a stop.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:21 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PeaceLove&S2K,Jun 18 2005, 07:08 PM
starting from a dead stop at a higher gear would be easier on the clutch (less torque being delivered)?
It is the exact opposite. You need a certain amount of torque to get a certain amount of weight of car moving. More importantly, you need the mechanical advantage of the gear box to use this torque effectively. Starting from a dead stop in a higher gear will decrease the mechanical advantage of the available torque that is required to get the car moving. Therefore, to do it effectively, you will need a higher rpm, but, more detrimental is that you will need to slip the clutch much longer to get the car moving up to a speed that is commensurate with the higher gear before you can completely engage the clutch.

For example starting from a dead stop in second gear is similar to starting from a dead stop in 1st gear BUT going up a steep grade (ie, a hill start). You will have to apply more throttle to get more rpm to get more torque to move the car and you will need to have the clutch semi-disengaged longer and further to get the car to a speed that will allow the clutch to be fully released.

What this does is tax your clutch much more because you must slip it longer and for more distance.

A real life story: Unbeknownst to me, my son purchased a used truck with a brand new clutch. Someone told him to NEVER start off in 1st gear, but to use 2nd. In less than a year, he wore that clutch out to the point where it left him stranded at a mall parking lot. His truck would not move. He literally used up his new clutch in one year where the same clutch should have lasted many, many years.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=xviper,Jun 18 2005, 06:11 PM] Why are you even bothering to go into neutral and then back to 2nd?
Old 06-18-2005, 06:37 PM
PdC

Lugging an engine is very hard on it.

Quick Reply: Is skipping 1st gear ok?