S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Sound over bumps

Old 09-27-2010, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound over bumps

Morning All

I hate trying to describe a sound, but since I don't have high-end audio recording equipment I suspect the sound would be drowned out by my exhaust. If I can't get to the bottom of this I will drive and clutch-in to record the sound and post it.

Going over bumps there is a "tock" sound that comes from the passenger side - either front or back, I can't tell. It's not a constant ticking, but a couple of "tock-tock.....tock" or some irregular pattern of this sound as the suspension compresses and springs back.

This sound can be heard top up or top down, which leads me to believe it isn't some interior panel being shaken. It's also not the passenger seat belt, as it does it with or without a passenger. As far as I can tell, it is not anything interior on the car.

I'm not particularly suspension savvy, and I am running completely stock. Are there any parts people could suggest checking that would make a sound over bumps? Or any simple tests I could do with the car jacked up to diagnose?

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2010, 07:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine does almost the same thing man. It would clunk or pop once and seems to be coming from the passenger rear. Over time it got worse so now it might make that noise 1-3 times when just taking off normally on the road. The only answers I got was to check the axle nuts, and I re-torqued mine to 220ft lbs and the sound is still there. I've pulled all my wheels off and tried to find a loost bolt or anything, still can't find where its coming from. Does it make the sound when jacking the car up, and letting it down? Mine makes the noise when jacking up and letting down, but it wont make the sound If I push on the back of the car pretty hard to bounce the suspension. So I have no clue what to check next.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have exactly what the op is explaining too.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndTimeAround,Sep 27 2010, 08:38 AM
Check the say bar bushings and end-links, it's common on allot of vehicles to have "tick, tocks and clunks" when the bushings and or end-links are worn.

Tocks and clunks on bumps I am almost positive are suspension issues.

Constant ticks seem like they could be CV joints issues.
I did too, found out last night my sway bar end links were shot, ordered new ones.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:14 PM

Jack the car up and check the sway bar end links, also make sure all bolts on the subframe are tight.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:00 PM

Awesome, great tips!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Even if it's not okay, it just feels better knowing that other people have the issue too

I will check the swap bar end links. Oddly enough I don't have a regular mechanic where I live but I think I'll track someone good down to just do it for me.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by MikeyCB,Sep 28 2010, 02:00 PM
Awesome, great tips!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Even if it's not okay, it just feels better knowing that other people have the issue too

I will check the swap bar end links. Oddly enough I don't have a regular mechanic where I live but I think I'll track someone good down to just do it for me.
If you do not have a jack, or jack stands.

Step 1. Find a level safe surface
Step 2. loosen both lug nuts on the front wheels
Step 3. Use stock jack, and jack the car up sot eh wheels come off the ground slightly, you do not need to get under the car to check these.
Step. 4 Get a flash light if it is a little dark and check for play.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:02 AM

Alright, I'm about to sound like a bit of a tool.

The majority of the sound I was hearing came from......a golf ball.

It was rolling around in the spare tire area, and went into hiding the last couple times I looked around for anything loose in there to attribute the sound to. I was washing the car the other day and opened the trunk and found that sucker sitting right there in plain sight. Guess my trunk monkey was playing a few rounds back there.

I have been able to better isolate the remaining slight knock/tock sounds, and they're coming from the front right suspension. I re-torqued my axle nuts a couple years ago from the original specs (180 adjust to 220lb/ft, I think? Can't remember, but was right at the time) so I know it's not that.

I should do a full fluid change anyway - diff, tranny, oil, so I'll probably borrow a friend's lift or something and just do a full inspection.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:36 PM

it appears many members here play golf
Old 10-05-2010, 04:52 PM

I almost kick my car because of this. lol I'm still looking for where that sound coming from. Maybe soft top? or maybe body? or suspension...

Quick Reply: Sound over bumps