S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Spark plugs s2000 ngk 7746 vs 7772

Old 06-30-2011, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plugs s2000 ngk 7746 vs 7772

What's a better choice for spark plugs on a yr2000 S NGK 7746 or 7772? iridium or platinum?
Old 07-01-2011, 05:59 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

if you want stock heat range, i recommend 6988 (ngk bkr7eix-11) those come pre gapped and are a very good plug.

if you want a heat range colder which is what I usually go with then ngk 2667 is the way to go (bkr8eix-11) exact same plug as the 6988 just one step colder
Old 07-01-2011, 07:11 AM

I just replaced mine with iridium I think it was. Not sure what the difference is.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:16 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The 2 plugs i mentioned have a smaller electrode and will give a little better spark.. they are also cheaper than the other 2 part number mentioned here.

All of them will work and you wont have any problems, but the bkr's are a little better
Old 07-01-2011, 05:31 PM

Received 3,408 Likes on 2,467 Posts

I went with the Iridium version for my second set of plugs for reduced center electrode wear as compared to platinum. The factory plugs wear primarily at the center electrode and the gaps open up over time as the electrode erodes down.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:03 PM

I called Honda of lynnwood and they said go with 7772 platinum, iridium may cause damage. This true? Anyone know for sure??
Old 07-03-2011, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Silver&stoned
I called Honda of lynnwood and they said go with 7772 platinum, iridium may cause damage. This true? Anyone know for sure??
Totally false, the only reason they say that is because Honda doesn't sell the "other" plug. The NGK Iridium plug is exactly the same design as the platinum, only the center electrode is Iridium, which is a harder metal which resists wear longer. Saying that I would definitely avoid Denso Iridium plugs, their claim to fame is the narrowest center electrode in the market to increase performance which is more prone to breakage due to the thin size of it. But other plugs like NGK and Champion use thicker center electrodes on their Iridium plugs and they aren't prone to breaking. But if one isn't comfortable with the Iridium plug then go with the plantinum version, you can't go wrong with it either.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run NGK V-Power copper plugs in ALL my cars.My 03S likes the BKR7E.

\rlr
carolina
Old 07-03-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by Silver&stoned' timestamp='1309669410' post='20742506
Totally false, the only reason they say that is because Honda doesn't sell the "other" plug. The NGK Iridium plug is exactly the same design as the platinum, only the center electrode is Iridium, which is a harder metal which resists wear longer. Saying that I would definitely avoid Denso Iridium plugs, their claim to fame is the narrowest center electrode in the market to increase performance which is more prone to breakage due to the thin size of it. But other plugs like NGK and Champion use thicker center electrodes on their Iridium plugs and they aren't prone to breaking. But if one isn't comfortable with the Iridium plug then go with the plantinum version, you can't go wrong with it either.
So the only issue is the breakage on the center electrode? Is this a common issues or just the only for seeable issue?
Old 07-03-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Silver&stoned
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1309691499' post='20742798
[quote name='Silver&stoned' timestamp='1309669410' post='20742506']
So the only issue is the breakage on the center electrode? Is this a common issues or just the only for seeable issue?
[/quote]

It's not an issue at all with NGK or Champion and pehaps Autolite Iridium plugs as they use wider center electrodes which are stronger than plats IMO. With the Iridium NGK plug they come pre-gapped so you don't mess with it and there is zero chance of it breaking. I have some hesitation with Denso Iridiums
as their center electroded is tiny and much more fragile and if anyone tries to gap them they can do some damage. The biggest issue in the sparkplug world these days is people trying to gap plugs improperly and causing damage, plug manufacturers are actually starting to disuade people from gapping plugs even if the plug has the incorrect gap given the possibility of damaging electrodes by novice hobbyists. I've gapped hundreds of Iridium plugs without ever breaking one.

If you do break an electrode in an engine it can spell disaster for the affected cylinder depending on the route the electrode takes inside the cylinder.

On a side note, I wouldn't run Iridium or platinum plugs in a boosted engine, I'd stick with copper, a little bit of detonation could damage the plugs which is no fault of the plugs. Larger copper plug center electrodes are less of a risk.

Quick Reply: Spark plugs s2000 ngk 7746 vs 7772