S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Spec Stage 1 Clutch Problems

Old 10-15-2007, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec Stage 1 Clutch Problems

I had a Spec Stage 1 Clutch installed a few months ago. Ever since then I've been having problems. The first noticeable problem was the extremely loud decel buzz. I've read a ton of topics on that here, all with different ideas about what causes it and if it's normal or not. That's not really what I'm posting about here though.

The problem that is getting worse and worse is engaging the clutch from a stop. The clutch feels rough on engagement. When it gets nearly completely engaged it occasionally slips and gives off an audible whiring sound followed by a roasted clutch smell. I'm not sure I've nailed down the exact stimuli that are needed to make it happen. I think the longer I slip the clutch, the better the chances. If I take off fast, I'm not sure it has ever happened. In town it's not always practical to take off fast every time I'm stopped. God forbid I get stuck in traffic.

I've already brought the car back to the dealership tons of times already. The first time was right away after I noticed that my stereo code needed to be entered and my car was out of alignment. Then they pulled the clutch again to figure out the decel buzz, and decided it was fine and put it back together and told me to break the clutch in and see if it still did it. Then I brought it right back again after they again didn't re-enter my radio code and forgot again to align the car....and this was all less then a week after they forgot to do that stuff the first time....and after I made a point to remind them when I dropped the car off and when I picked it up. The service writer even told me it was aligned and the stereo was set. That didn't change the fact that my stereo was asking for a code and my steering wheel was raked 30 degrees to the left.

Currently SPEC says they will look at the clutch if I have it removed. The Honda Dealer says they will gladly remove the clutch if I pay them again for the clutch job that should have been right from the beginning.

Anybody have anything like this happen to them? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-15-2007, 11:56 AM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

i would bleed your clutch, and have a look at your clutch fork and clutch slave cylinder and the ball part that attaches to the clutch fork... Those might be giving you a problem... especially before you have the whole thing taken apart again...
Old 10-15-2007, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the clutch master and slave cylinder replaced before the clutch job. Actually that's another funny story. My clutch pedal was sticking and I assumed it was the release fork, and I told them that's what I thought it was. I brought it in and they replace the master and slave cylinders. I got in the car and it was still doing it....they never even tried it. Then I brought it back and they pulled the transmission and told me that the release fork was bent, but the disk was also in bad shape. That's what prompted the initial clutch replacement.