S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Starting on cold mornings!

Old 12-21-2004, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting on cold mornings!

Is this normal? We are having zero degree temps (negative with wind-chill) and the car does not start the first time any more, always starts the second time. I am assuming this is normal. Happens in the morning, even when the car has been sitting in the garage all night and again when leaving work (sitting in the cold parking lot). The first attempt to start sounds pretty bad ....
Old 12-21-2004, 09:33 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

0*F? This would be equivalent to about -18*C. This is considered COLD. In Calgary, I plug the block heater in whenever it gets colder than about -10*C. The car doesn't really need it but it sure helps it start better and it's much better on the engine if it's plugged in for a cold start.
Your engine is probably suffering from temperature shock. The ECU is having a tough time resolving it. If you don't plan to get or use a block heater, here are some suggestions for the cold:
-put in thinner engine oil (5W30 synthetic will suffice).
-DON'T help it start by giving it gas. Let it learn on it's own. After a few cold start stalls, it should learn to compensate enough that it won't stall any more. It may still be a rough start but it should stay running at least.
-key the ignition to ON but don't hit the start button. Wait till the fuel pump finishes it's initial cycling (3 to 4 seconds). Turn it OFF, turn it ON again and wait again, then hit the starter. This ensures that the fuel system is pressurized up properly. When it's cold, sometimes the system can lose pressure when parked overnight.
-a clean air filter will help.
-turn off all accessories on that first start of the day - heater fan, interior light, stereo before you crank it.
-Have the tranny in neutral even though you have the clutch fully depressed. A really cold clutch can still grab a bit. It's less resistance to cranking if you are not trying to break the cluch disc free. After it starts wait till the idle stabilizes (a few seconds) before you SLOWLY release the clutch in neutral. You will now see how much the tranny fluid viscosity plays a heavy hand in putting up resistance for the engine. If you let the clutch out too fast, this resistance can stall the engine.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:38 AM

I've had the same problem over the past week or so and I'm glad it doesn't look like I'm he only one. Over the past few days, my car hasn't had a problem though, but it has warmed up a bit here. I was having the problem with it in the 20's (F), not even as cold as where you are. I have a block warmer waiting to be installed for when I move to North Dakota in the spring time.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah i've had the same problem starting mine. doesnt start in the first crank in this weather.

I went to start mine and my battery was low in voltage, so it kinda backfired out the tailpipe a little bit, I was like what?? But it was all good after I put some juice back in the battery
Old 12-22-2004, 12:38 AM

mine starts with weird noise when it is really cold
Old 12-22-2004, 07:43 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by iwant2byS2k,Dec 22 2004, 02:38 AM
mine starts with weird noise when it is really cold
What is "really" cold for you? Riverside? Where's that? I have a guess but it's only valid if your temps are extremely cold (like just below ZERO F).
Old 12-22-2004, 08:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When I was in Greer, AZ on the Devil's Highway run when it got really cold overnight I had a panic when the S failed to start in the morning.

It did about 1/2 to one crank then stopped. This was with the starter button depressed. I released the button waited a short bit and tried again. The engine did a sputtering lumbering start, ran at a very low RPM (like it was dieseling) and conked out after 10 seconds or so.

The third time was the charm. It took it a LONG time to get to that second bar.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:13 AM

IT NORMAL FOR HARD START IN THE COLD DUE TO HIGH COMPRESSION ENGINES HAVE SAME PROBELM WITH MY S BUT IF YOU LIKE YOU GUY ARE BRAVE LIKE ME TO DRIVE THERE S YEAR ROUND THAT WHAT I CALL TRU S OWERS