S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

stock rotor replacement to cross drilled rotor

Old 05-09-2009, 03:39 PM
M2K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock rotor replacement to cross drilled rotor

Have anyone change their oem rotor to cross drilled rotor?

Does anyone have information to change it?..... DIY?

Will it put abs light when you change to cross drilled rotor?

Old 05-09-2009, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by M2K,May 9 2009, 06:39 PM
Have anyone change their oem rotor to cross drilled rotor?

Does anyone have information to change it?..... DIY?

Will it put abs light when you change to cross drilled rotor?
1. Yes, do a search

2. I'm not sure if there's a DIY on it but you can definitely do a search

3. It's a rotor, why would the ABS light come on?
Old 05-09-2009, 05:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep stock rotors they are alot better . crossed drilled is just bling on a S2000 . Search for centric rotors there great and cheap very popular with the track guys
Old 05-10-2009, 11:13 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

cross-drilled will eventually crack (hole to hole) and perform worse than OEM - and like SILAP1 stated, they're only bling.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:42 AM

I did my brake and rotors all OEM it was driving a new car lol seriously what a difference. I was thinking about drilled but to many conflicting threads and postings OEM FTW
Old 05-11-2009, 08:23 AM

I like the "bling" look of the crossed drilled rotors, and really like not having rust all over the rotor as well.
I do most of my own work on my car but didn't trust myself with the brakes. I got it done at a local shop. I see no difference in brake performance (increase or decrease), I basically got it for looks. I never track my car, so cracking is not something I am concerned about. That generally only happens when you repeatedly heat your rotors up like in track driving.

I would not run cross drilled rotors if I did track driving.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=RichV,May 11 2009, 08:23 AM] I like the "bling" look of the crossed drilled rotors, and really like not having rust all over the rotor as well.
I do most of my own work on my car but didn't trust myself with the brakes. I got it done at a local shop. I see no difference in brake performance (increase or decrease), I basically got it for looks. I never track my car, so cracking is not something I am concerned about. That generally only happens when you repeatedly heat your rotors up like in track driving.

well, you might not feel it or drive it hard enough to spot the decrease but you can't argue with physic

1)drilled rotor has less material/thermal capacity: less "heat shrink"=lower fading point.

2)drilled rotor has less surface area: less surface/friction area=less braking power

and of course there's always the cracking issue because of the structural integrity problem with blank rotor after getting drilled.

Even casted/stock/computer designed "drilled" brake rotor on premium sport car like the vette are problematic(esp on track)

you can get any rotor to coated to prevent rust, most people wouldn't bother to because it make no performance improvement
Old 05-12-2009, 02:24 AM

I'll go with slotted, not drilled...
Old 05-12-2009, 05:42 AM

[QUOTE=iam7head,May 11 2009, 04:10 PM]
Originally Posted by RichV,May 11 2009, 08:23 AM
I like the "bling" look of the crossed drilled rotors, and really like not having rust all over the rotor as well.

well, you might not feel it or drive it hard enough to spot the decrease but you can't argue with physic

1)drilled rotor has less material/thermal capacity: less "heat shrink"=lower fading point.

2)drilled rotor has less surface area: less surface/friction area=less braking power

and of course there's always the cracking issue because of the structural integrity problem with blank rotor after getting drilled.

Even casted/stock/computer designed "drilled" brake rotor on premium sport car like the vette are problematic(esp on track)

you can get any rotor to coated to prevent rust, most people wouldn't bother to because it make no performance improvement
I've heard that over and over. Like I said, I don't track my car, so no I don't drive it hard enough to tell a difference. I'm not trying to argue with physics.
I said it was simply for looks.
That was a weird statement saying that most people wouldn't bother coating their rotors (or buying coated rotors) because it gives no performance gain. I obviously know that not having rust on the rotors does not give a performance gain. I would also think that most people would prefer the look of no rust as opposed to rust.

I love my rotors, but I know "track guys" think they are crap.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:48 AM

Iam7, technically the braking friction will be the same over the drilled rotors until it starts to fade, since the contact force is the same, youre just spreading it over less area.

Quick Reply: stock rotor replacement to cross drilled rotor