S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Stumped during transmission removal

Old 11-07-2005, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AUSS2000 is right....to get the trans in the last 1/2 inch you can work the release fork. If you have the trans in that far then the disc is already started on the input shaft splines...no chance of loosing the disc. Use a small pry bar between the release fork and the trans housing and pry towards the front on the car. Once the disc is released the trans will pop right in. I have done a few S2000 and dozens of Mustang clutches and this always works.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:56 AM

the clutch alignment tool is the same one for any honda. go to autozone and ask for the clutch alignment tool for a 5 speed 95 accord.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:05 AM

I had a very hard time getting the trans to seat, but a friend of mine used the fork to put pressure on the TOB and trans slid right in. He just used a pry bar on it. He is a trans installed and was laughing at me and my friend while we strugled holding the trans above our heads trying to seat it.

As for the allighnment tool I used a honda one that had the right amount of splines then just used electrical tape around the end that went into the pilot bearing to make it fit snug. I just cant remember the size tool it was.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:16 AM

This is a quote from my old thread hope this helps.....I just dug it up in search...
I got a lot of useful info from this thread
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=278849&hl=

OK the clutch is in and working great as of last night. The install went very smooth with no real problems. I only had a hard time seating the trans, I could not get the motor on the right angel to get the bell housing to clear the bottom of the car. Once I got it in almost all the way in, I could not get it to go the last 2 inches or so. My brother in law (owner of shop) tought me a great trick. All I had to do was pry on the release fork a little to take tension off the disk and it slid right in. I was amazed when he showed me. I was fighting with the trans for like 10 min and he walked over told me what to do and what do u know .....it worked. (listed to the experts)!!!!!!!

That upper started bolt was pretty easy to get to for me b/c I removed the alternator. I was in a trans shop so I had every tool that u could think of. The allighnment tool that I used was a HONDA 58. That is what it said on the tool. The splines were perfect but where it goes into the pilot bearing was a little small. I wraped electric tape around the end of it twice, and it was a perfect fit.

The only thing that I regret is not getting a lightend flywheel. I know that I will prob get one soon and have to take everything apart again. Next time around I think I could do a clutch in about 6 hours on a lift. The only reason this took me 2 days was b/c I had to get the flywheel re-cut and took my time

Thanks you all for all the advice and help. It really made the job easier. I feel bad for the guys that do it on their back without a lift, you are some real troopers.

Thanks again Kenny
Old 11-08-2005, 04:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I gave the alignment a try just by eyeballing it:

The sucker slid right on, first try. :dance:

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!!!

I've been taking pics throughout the install, which I'll post up once I'm finished.