S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Suggestions for a rough running 00 ap1

Old 06-07-2018, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for a rough running 00 ap1

I recently bought a 00 ap1 and it's my first one.

What I know from the owner: car sat since 2014 until about 3 weeks ago when he changed the plugs and upper o2 sensor and it fired up. Obviously it ran a little rough. When I got it it had a low level fuel tank.

syptoms: car dies when coming to a stop. When I floor it, it runs like it has much power at all. Oil looks fine coolant looks fine and it doesn't sound like it's missing . I did drive it home a hour and a half just had to keep the ac off so it wouldn't die since the ac drags the idle down so much that it dies at time.

what I've done: changed the fuel pump and ran sea foam.

should I?: Go ahead and change the injectors? Wait to see if the sea foam works? Or something else I should try?
codes: car threw 1 code for system lean
Old 06-07-2018, 07:22 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

How old are the spark plugs?
Old 06-07-2018, 07:26 PM

About 3 weeks old. Oem
Old 06-08-2018, 12:53 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tx_s2k
When I floor it, it runs like it has much power at all.
This sentence doesn't make much sense to me, maybe due to the fact I am not native in English, anyways, have you tried taking a look at the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve)?

I've heard about dying engines at idle because of it.

Also, when taking it apart, be careful when putting the valve motor back on again. The sudden jerk of the magnet pulling the valve closer might knock the washers out of their grooves again making you lose them in your engine bay

As for the engine running lean, fuel additives for cleaning the injectors is a good idea. I've just recently added a bottle of Liqui Moly System Cleaner and my MPG improved a lot, I was pretty shocked actually.

DIY cleaning them is possible as well:

Old 06-08-2018, 03:51 AM

[QUOTE=nubbel;24472642]This sentence doesn't make much sense to me, maybe due to the fact I am not native in English

sorry "like it doesn't have much power at all:** I was typing on my phone and it must have auto corrected
Old 06-08-2018, 04:18 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tx_s2k
I recently bought a 00 ap1 and it's my first one.

What I know from the owner: car sat since 2014 until about 3 weeks ago when he changed the plugs and upper o2 sensor and it fired up. Obviously it ran a little rough. When I got it it had a low level fuel tank.

syptoms: car dies when coming to a stop. When I floor it, it runs like it has much power at all. Oil looks fine coolant looks fine and it doesn't sound like it's missing . I did drive it home a hour and a half just had to keep the ac off so it wouldn't die since the ac drags the idle down so much that it dies at time.

what I've done: changed the fuel pump and ran sea foam.

should I?: Go ahead and change the injectors? Wait to see if the sea foam works? Or something else I should try?
codes: car threw 1 code for system lean

If you want to throw some money at the car, I would probably replace the O2 sensor and plugs (which i see you have done), MAP sensor, clean the IACV as suggested and run some injector cleaner or seafoam in the tank.
If the car was sitting for an extended period of time, you might have bad gas in the tank or something might have gotten affected by the bad gas. Hows the alternator? Could the car be dying because of a weak alty? How about the grounding points? Do the wires look good? Do you have any vaccuum leaks? If the car is running lean, perhaps you have a leak somewhere and are getting unmetered air in the system??

The things I suggested would cost less than 100 bucks and would be good maintenance anyway even if they do not solve your problem.. they would certainly help cross things off the list.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:05 AM

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

I would suggest Liqui Moly fuel system cleaner (the largest bottle) to remove condensation and other gunk that may have built up over that long time it stood still and an ECU reset. Perhaps a new air filter too and I would do a full service on engine oil and PCX OEM filter replacement, transmission oil - Honda MTF, diff oil - your choice of brand but 75W-90 GL5. It might just need a new battery as well since batteries don't necessarily last longer than 4 years despite not being used.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:49 AM

thanks guys, I just put the sea foam in the tank so ill have to drive it around. Battery tested good. o2 sensor and plugs have been replaced recently within 3 weeks. Ill go home today and clean the iacv and replace the map sensor. how do I go about resetting the ecu? Pull the battery again for about a hour or so?
Old 06-08-2018, 05:54 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Just disconnect the battery for 5-10 minutes and follow the idle relearn procedure mentioned on the forums.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:56 AM

little update. Driving on it for a couple of days no change. Tps showed a negative value at idle and not full 100% at full throttle. Car still reaks of fuel at idle. So I'm stumped. Injectors or tps?

Quick Reply: Suggestions for a rough running 00 ap1