S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is there a method for replacing upper starter bolt?

Old 10-13-2002, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a method for replacing upper starter bolt?

How is this done? I will not remove the bolt until I am reasonably sure I can get it back in. The socket is there and ready to back the bolt out.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 10-13-2002, 11:07 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm sure you've seen this but just in case you haven't................
The Helm manual indicates that the serpentine belt gets removed, then the belt tensioner gets removed, then the alternator gets "unwired" and removed. After this, the starter should be accessable. Or is it not this clear cut in real life?
Old 10-13-2002, 11:18 PM

Alright, I have cooled off. Xviper, I was following cmnsnse's steps. Then I tried removing the alternator, but the lower pole is fairly wedged between its supports and I can't seem to get it out. I was able to swing it to the side with the lower bolt removed enough to allow socket engagement. With the extension and socket on the bolt, I looked at the tensioner (belt is off long ago) and the tensioner is 'miles' away from the starter with the mounting plate of the tensioner about the same size as what is mounted to it.

I think with the bolt taped to the socket, I should be able to replace the bolt into the hole 'fairly' easily.

Also, the manual does not include removing the tensioner for either transmission removal nor alternator removal, only for starter removal.

I will resume afresh tomorrow or later this week.

All is well, I think!
Old 10-14-2002, 05:38 AM

I actually pried my alternator out of the mount. It was not that hard to put back in.

The upper starter bolt can be reached from underneath the car. You will not be able to see it, but you can feel around and get it. I put the bolt back in, screwed it in a few threads, and put the socket back on the bolt. Then I tightened it from the top.

Got the car back together Friday night...only problem I had was that I left my watch sitting on the car for the first test drive and I forgot to plug on of the powersteering plugs in....all is fixednow, but the watch is still gone

Chip
Old 10-14-2002, 05:53 AM

Iispms, thanks much for the info! I need to get a longer lever to pry out that alternator.

Also, I think my approach to the bolt is a bit wrong. I have rotated the alternator outwards with the socket placed medially to the alternator and under all those tubings. This is a bit different from cmnsnse's picture.

You info about starting the bolt back in... priceless!

I think if I remove the alternator and the A/C compressor, that might also give me more room to get to the starter bolt.

Iispms, your method to remove the bolt was....?

Thanks!

PS: Sorry about that watch, chip!
Old 10-14-2002, 02:29 PM

Hey Prolene. That upper starter mount bolt is a real PITA. Like a blind man at an orgy, you're just going to have to feel your way through this one.

I finally got a chance to post an old write-up I did on the s2000 clutch replacement... I dunno if that's what you're working on or not, but if you're removing the starter mount, I assume that's what you're doing... Anyway, click on the link in my sig to go to my site. The article is in the "technical" section.

HTH.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:38 PM

Excellent, Rev! PITA- for sure.
Thanks for the link Rev! I will also see if you mentioned the ties of the harness on the side of the tranny.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:32 PM

Made a minor update just now... nothing major, but when I wrote the article a couple years ago I said I'd give feedback on the clutch in "a few weeks." Well, it's been a couple years, so I figured I should probably revise that

BTW, my apologies for the "language" in the article. Lately I try not to be such a potty mouth
Old 10-19-2002, 05:24 AM

Well, the SPEC clutch is in. It looks like the friction surface is organic.

Much thanks to The Reverend's friend Sean for lending me the flywheel holder.

Great going to cmnsnse, ispms and others who have helped via posts on this board. As ispms mentioned, I was able to thread the upper starter bolt by hand when the transmission was tilted down and the subframes dropped, then to help the socket get on the bolt after working the socket to the bolt area.

I don't seem to have any bolts left over or bent parts, but have not started the car yet, since I just got the car off the stands at about 2am this morning!

I was able to preserve all the harness 'zip ties'.

It will be tough breaking in this setup, what with a canyon drive scheduled for a week from tomorrow. Lots of stop and go traffic has to be run for proper breakin, the instrucitions say.