S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Tips for solo transmission reinstall?

Old 08-21-2018, 10:41 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Tips for solo transmission reinstall?

Anyone have the trick to getting the transmission back into the car solo with just a floor jack? It seems like you can't get the transmission input shaft up level with the throwout bearing since the tunnel isn't wide enough towards the rear of the car, which makes it really difficult attempting this alone. Is it best to tilt the motor towards the rear? Any good ideas? Thanks.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:24 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Did you lower the subframe? I assume you had to in order to get the top two bolts out, unless you tried the hang it and let the motor mounts flex kinda thing.

When I did my clutch, I had help, but could have put the trans in solo on the floor jack if I had to. But lining it up was pretty easy with the subframe lowered.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:32 AM

Yeah, subframe is lowered as far as it goes (I think). I let the mounts sag to get the transmission down and out in the first place.

I guess I could try backing the front bolts out further, the rears are definitely down as far as I am comfortable with. I've done a clutch install before but it is a whole different ball game on jackstands solo. Haha.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:39 AM

It may have been harder than I remember, but I dont seem to remember having issues lining it up. My friend helped hold one end to make it easier to maneuver and I laid under the bell housing and just worked it around until it slid into place. Maybe having that helping hand on the tail of the unit made it a lot easier than I thought! The whole job was pretty easy all around so I did not remember any big pains. Is it going in part way and then stopping? If so, you may want to double check the clutch alignment.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have done it by myself numerous times and after the first struggle (difficult but possible) I got a cheap HF transmission jack. It still takes a few curse words but it is easier.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by engifineer
It may have been harder than I remember, but I dont seem to remember having issues lining it up. My friend helped hold one end to make it easier to maneuver and I laid under the bell housing and just worked it around until it slid into place. Maybe having that helping hand on the tail of the unit made it a lot easier than I thought! The whole job was pretty easy all around so I did not remember any big pains. Is it going in part way and then stopping? If so, you may want to double check the clutch alignment.
Getting the transmission up there with room to stab is my problem, haha.

Originally Posted by cdelena
I have done it by myself numerous times and after the first struggle (difficult but possible) I got a cheap HF transmission jack. It still takes a few curse words but it is easier.
This one?
https://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb...ack-39178.html

Guess I could grab that for $90 after tax + 20% off coupon on the way home from work today.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:07 PM

If I had to do the job solo I would probably invest in one of those. Does make it easier and you may need it on some other car one day. Or just sell it after and take a small loss as payment for less frustration and effort!
Old 08-21-2018, 12:09 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

I did it solo, on jack stands. I considered the HF trans jack, but couldn't justify it. I just used my regular trolly jack.

I rigged up something woth some leftover lumber to help hold trans to jack.

IIRC, I also used two hands to balance it on the jack, and my feet to pump the jack. It probably looked humorous to passersby, but the neighborhood is used to it by now...
Old 08-21-2018, 12:59 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Assuming you found the fulcrum point, it should more or less eventually slide it's way up while holding it with one hand and some ****ery. Can't remember if I took off the driveshaft making for more clearance or not.
Transmission jack wasn't an option for me since it adds a few inches which I couldn't spare, and I'm stubborn/cheap
Old 08-21-2018, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
. . . . . and my feet to pump the jack. . . . ...
Ha Ha, Been there, done that.

Quick Reply: Tips for solo transmission reinstall?