S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Track review of GM Synchromesh FRICTION MODIFIED

Old 02-12-2004, 07:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by Road Rage
Projext SSAP1 - think of your car as a beautiful woman - she may take a while to warm up properly, but a lot of love and a little patience will pay off.

Is that some sort of oxymoron... "beautiful woman ... will pay off"?
Old 02-12-2004, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well after reading the owners manual on the part about optimal shifting it said that i should shift at 15mph, 25mph, 40mph...etc...so basically i was shifting early...i guess this is why i got the notchy feeling...all day today i tried to shift like the manual said and it was rather smooth...so i guess it was my own fault...
Old 03-25-2004, 12:55 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

Gernby,

If you have any other conclusions about tranny oil, please let me know, for now I will use the MT-90.

Jeff
Old 03-25-2004, 02:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I went ahead and changed the tranny oil again with fresh GMS FM when I changed my engine oil. I thought about waiting, since it was still shifting perfect, but I figured I should do it anyway. Unless this oil doesn't hold up to summer temps, I'm going to stick with this. I loved MT-90 in the summer, but it didn't feel as smooth as the GMS FM does now.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:00 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been running the GM SM FM too, and love it, nothing but smooth shifts.
Old 04-17-2004, 03:28 PM

Gernby or others,

Since there are other threads out there on trans oil, I thought I would check and see how the Friction Modified GM stuff was holding out. Wish you hadn't changed it though - would have been nice to see how long it lasted with someone who was tracking the car. From what I read, you seem to think the GM FM is much better than the Honda MTF. So far, the GM FM will be my choice for the next change. I don't have any problems with the Honda MTF, but am always ready for something better.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nsx555
Gernby or others,

Since there are other threads out there on trans oil, I thought I would check and see how the Friction Modified GM stuff was holding out.
Old 04-17-2004, 05:06 PM

RR, I have only used MTF, so I can't compare to others except for what I have read. I have about 30k miles and have changed once. I do have a couple of quarts of NEO that I am hesitant to use since a couple of people didn't like it. Seems like you thought it was too thin, but just by feel, it seems to be similar. Have you run any tests on it, since I am curious? I am planning on the GM friction modified only on Gernby's recommendation. Have you any specs on the GM stuff?

Thanks,
john
Old 04-17-2004, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by Road Rage
Projext SSAP1 - think of your car as a beautiful woman - she may take a while to warm up properly, but a lot of love and a little patience will pay off.
This is a touchy subject. The analogy makes me blush.

The biggest difference is that there are times when I think I actually understand automobiles. I never suffer that illusion when it comes to women.

RED
Old 04-17-2004, 05:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No doubt about that MX5, no doubt. They are mysterious creatures- we are just butt-heads.

I was listening to Colin Powell the other day, and he was talking about how he relaxes. He collects cars, and he likes to work on them to relax. Then he said something i have often said and thought - "one great thing about cars is they give you back exactly what you put into them".

That is so true. With people, even ones you love, you can only get a certain amount of success or ROI on your investment of time, affection, thoughtfulness, anger, etc. With cars, if you change the engine oil, your car runs better and will last longer. If you flush the coolant, you will ensure no damage from freezing. It is quid pro quo taken to the max, the 69th factorial, or whatever analogy works for ya.

Anyone else feel that way?

Quick Reply: Track review of GM Synchromesh FRICTION MODIFIED