S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Track review of GM Synchromesh FRICTION MODIFIED

Old 08-26-2008, 07:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've tried the Redline, the GMSMFM, the new Honda MTF and the Amsoil MTF - and none of them were perfect.

The Redline lasted around the same as the old Honda MTF, but the grinding was less. I tried the GMSMFM, and the grinding was less than the old Honda MTF - but it lasted about the same (the story sounds similar doesn't it). The new Honda MTF proved to reduce the grinding greatly AND lasted longer than either of the two.
Amsoil MTF seems to be much better than the new Honda MTF in the Florida heat, but is notchier in the colder months. My suggestion: Honda MTF in the winter (or a mixture of Honda MTF and Amsoil - the new Honda MTF is a little smoother in colder weather in mixture) and without a doubt Amsoil MTF in the hotter months. I spoke with Amsoil about my personal findings and they're looking into increasing the VI of their MTF to improve the colder weather performance - although they claim it's still better than Honda MTF (I still think Honda MTF is a little smoother - especially in mixture w/Amsoil MTF - during colder weather). We'll see. I think Amsoil MTG is a good alternative for worn or stubborn transmissions as ZX-10 has noted.

For note (although not scientifically proven) it seems that there have been an increase of bearing failures in S2000 transmissions using GMSMFM than not. Remember - GMSMFM is specifically designed for ONE transmission - the New Venture 1500 - used in Chevy/GM light pickup trucks with 4 cylinders that rev no more than 6000 RPM. I don't think this lube is appropriate or provides enough protection for a transmission that sees 8200-9250 RPM under normal to spirited driving - let alone track use. Use what you want - but make sure you post what lube you use when your transmission fails - to warn the rest of us.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:15 PM

Received 203 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by slipstream444,Aug 26 2008, 11:05 PM
For note (although not scientifically proven) it seems that there have been an increase of bearing failures in S2000 transmissions using GMSMFM than not. Remember - GMSMFM is specifically designed for ONE transmission - the New Venture 1500 - used in Chevy/GM light pickup trucks with 4 cylinders that rev no more than 6000 RPM. I don't think this lube is appropriate or provides enough protection for a transmission that sees 8200-9250 RPM under normal to spirited driving - let alone track use. Use what you want - but make sure you post what lube you use when your transmission fails - to warn the rest of us.
Wouldn't UOAs show if the GMSFM didn't hold up? Does anyone have any?
Old 08-26-2008, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks slipstream444,

Really appreciate your post. These are the kind of post that really adds values to the forum.
I hate seing those that says "this is good or that is excellent" when it is really the ONLY thing they've tried.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Banned

You just have to try it and see for yourself, no one has tried them all. I've read great reviews on Motul Gear 300, including a guy who tracked his car and said Motul blew Honda MTF right out of the water (not suprising since it's GL-5 rated). Honda MTF seems to be little more than reformulated engine oil

http://www.motul-oil.co.uk/motul%20data%20...3178%20(GB).pdf
Old 08-26-2008, 08:16 PM

Agree with slipstream444's comments on the Amsoil. I've had it in for about 10k miles now. Totally smooth during the summer, but was slightly notchy on startup during the winter. Doesn't get that cold here, so I just babied it the first few miles. However, once up to temp it's better than Honda MTF from my experience.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slipstream444,Aug 26 2008, 07:05 PM
I think Amsoil MTG is a good alternative for worn or stubborn transmissions as ZX-10 has noted.
The extreme pressure additives of gear lube should help prevent a new transmission from shifting like a "worn, stubborn transmission" in the future, which is why I'm running it w/ 5k miles on the clock...I'm going to try Motul next

100% synthetic extreme pressure lubricant for an efficient anti wear protection, a better resistance at high temperature and a longer life time.

0% shear loss : Unshearable oil film in extreme conditions.

Stays in 90 grade after KRL 20 hours shear test as requested by SAE J306 Standard, July 1998 update

Very high lubricating power which decreases friction and wear.

90 grade at hot temperature to provide outstanding oil film resistance at hot temperature and/or to reduce transmission noise.

Fluid at low temperature to allow easier gear shifting when the gearbox is cold
Can Honda MTF meet these specs? in a word, hell no
Old 08-26-2008, 09:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I always ran ran Honda MTF in my 700whp civic and i shifted at 10k. Never had a problem with it and loved it. Alot of guys were running GMSM. I must say in my Ap2 the Redline works noticably better then the Honda MTF.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree that new Honda MTF is great in the cold. My tranny was hard to engage second and third in the cold using old Honda MTF, but not with the new formula. I only ran one interval of GM SMFM during summer 06, and while it was very smooth to begin with, the feeling broke down quickly. New Honda MTF feels almost the same from start to finish and it has removed 95% of the notch I feel going into third with other fluids. Next summer perhaps I'll try Amsoil. I just put in round three of new Honda MTF on Saturday, so that will last me through this coming winter.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by 2007 Zx-10,Aug 27 2008, 02:45 PM
The extreme pressure additives of gear lube should help prevent a new transmission from shifting like a "worn, stubborn transmission" in the future, which is why I'm running it w/ 5k miles on the clock...I'm going to try Motul next

Can Honda MTF meet these specs? in a word, hell no
I used Motul Gear 300 on my DC5R in Japan and it destroyed my mission...TWICE!!! I can't really say it did it the first time as one night I was driving normally and 2nd gear just broke apart. I had just put the Motul in about 2 weeks prior, didn't think this was the cause really and refilled with Motul again upon warranty rebuild. Within the first couple months I noticed extreme notchiness and grinding. Changed the fluid to Redline and the grinding stopped for a short period and returned. Tried NEO, it also got rid of the problems for a short time, tried RP and it just compounded the problem further (PHUCK THIS FLUID, though it wasn't the syncromax or whatever it is called), then tried the Amsoil MTF and it also helped and later went back to crap. Finally said screw it and had 1-2 synchros, 3-4 synchros replaced as well as the actual gears themselves. The Motul in my opinion, even though a good fluid is not made for Honda's yellow metal synchros and eats them up.

Still on the stock fill of gear oil on my S nisen, but will be changing it out to Amsoil's MTG in the very near future, purchased while still in Japan, but never got to use it on my 5R and just brought it with me to Guam.

Just a heads up on the Motul to you from my experience.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:50 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=S_nisen,Aug 27 2008, 02:22 AM] The Motul in my opinion, even though a good fluid is not made for Honda's yellow metal synchros and eats them up.

Quick Reply: Track review of GM Synchromesh FRICTION MODIFIED