S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Transmission Failure to Shift Syndrom (TFSS)

Old 01-17-2015, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Failure to Shift Syndrom (TFSS)

My AP1 has developed an aversion to shifting! It was fine Thursday, but today it won't shift even when the car isn't running. Have my synchros failed or is it something else?
When I could get it into gear the clutch engages normally. It will go from shifting normally to not allowing any gear to engage.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you blow your master or slave clutch cylinder? Will it shift when the engine is off and you force it without pushing the clutch in?
Old 01-17-2015, 04:24 PM

Received 3,390 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Look under dash at the clutch master cylinder rod/piston that comes through the firewall and see if you can notice fluid leaking out of it. Then look undercar at the slave cylinder and see if any fluid is leaking there.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Look under dash at the clutch master cylinder rod/piston that comes through the firewall and see if you can notice fluid leaking out of it. Then look undercar at the slave cylinder and see if any fluid is leaking there.
I can see fluid leaking around the firewall on the interior. I will get the car on jack stands in the morning and look at the master and slave cylinder for leaks. Regardless, this sounds a lot better than dealing with transmission issues.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:14 PM

Received 3,390 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Originally Posted by SATXCFP
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1421544247' post='23472242
I can see fluid leaking around the firewall on the interior. I will get the car on jack stands in the morning and look at the master and slave cylinder for leaks. Regardless, this sounds a lot better than dealing with transmission issues.
Is there fluid in the clutch master cylinder reservoir under hood ?, you may have had a slow leak over time and run the master cylinder reservoir dry , which leads to sucking air into the clutch line/system.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My bet is on a bad cylinder. Replace both of them if your resevoir is dry. There's a good DIY on here. Parts cost under 150 for both a OEM master and slave.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by SATXCFP' timestamp='1421546840' post='23472264
[quote name='JFUSION' timestamp='1421544247' post='23472242']
Is there fluid in the clutch master cylinder reservoir under hood ?, you may have had a slow leak over time and run the master cylinder reservoir dry , which leads to sucking air into the clutch line/system.
[/quote]
The reservoir is nearly full.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Back to notaloafer's question... With the car off and not depressing the clutch, can you push the shifter into any of the gears?
Old 01-18-2015, 07:03 AM

No - not even with a lot of force. Then I started the car and suddenly I could shift, but shifting was sluggish and reverse was difficult. The clutch pedal has become mushy.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:53 AM

Received 1,442 Likes on 967 Posts

I'd fix the "mushy pedal" feel first. Bleed the clutch hydraulics. Once you have full travel on the slave-to-actuator rod --- see if your issues of not going into gear, corrects itself --- car running or not. At least, rule this out. Simple, cheap fix.

Hope this solves the problem.

Quick Reply: Transmission Failure to Shift Syndrom (TFSS)