S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

tried pulling spark plugs now a cel, please help!

Old 02-15-2006, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tried pulling spark plugs now a cel, please help!

I thought i'd check my plugs to see how they looked since my my02 has burnt two quarts of oil in the last 2k miles w/ only 41k miles on the car. I tried pulling the plugs w/ craftsmen spark plug socket. I tried checking the 1st and 4th cylinders. I was able to break them loose, but could not pull them out. So i retightened the plugs, plug everything back in, and start the car. After about 15 seconds of a weak idle, the check engine light starts flashing. I turn the car off, check to make sure the plugs are tight, and try to start the car again. Same results. Im gonna try to baby it over to the autozone and get an obd2 read on it. Any suggestions?
Old 02-15-2006, 07:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if the cel is flashing, DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR. this means there is something very wrong with the engine, and driving/running the engine could potentially cause a lot of damage. a cel that comes on and then stays solid, the car should be ok to drive. but a flashing cel is NOT.

sounds like the car could be misfiring. are you sure you reseated everything properly? use a flashlight to look and be certain the plugs are not damaged. why couldn't you get the spark plugs out?
Old 02-15-2006, 07:31 PM

Sounds like whoever checked the plugs before stripped those bad boys.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:00 PM

i got the codes. p300, p301, p304, p1399. I finally got the plugs out using a different socket (same size, just gripped better i guess). The cel was flashing for about 5 seconds and then stayed solid. I had to drive about 3 miles to the nearest autozone and get an obdII reader. While driving it would shake pretty bad at idle, and had a constant "putter/tap". I pulled the plugs again, and put them in again. After i did that, i got the p301 and p1399. Am i going to destroy my car if i have to drive it? Its my only transportation (no family, new city), and i have a 6 mile drive to work @ 7 am. Anything I can do before then?
Old 02-15-2006, 09:15 PM

Don't drive the car. You are probably hurting the engine seriously. What did the plugs look like?
Old 02-15-2006, 09:38 PM

plugs looked fine to me. Im just trying to figure out how pulling the plugs is causing all these problems.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:45 PM

Are you sure all the threads are still there on the head? There is a thing called too tight. It's an aluminum head so just be careful.

Did you put the connectors back on correctly for the coil packs?

Honestly, it's not something that would happen from just pulling out the plugs - unless there's more you aren't stating.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:00 PM

Im definately not trying to hide anything, the more info i can give, the more feedback i can get, and i know this. To be honest, the way they broke free when i first started backing out the plugs made it feel like they hadnt been pulled before. The reason i was checking the plugs was b/c of a pretty dramatic oil level drop within the last 1000 miles. I wanted to see if one of the plugs was badly burned, possibly cylinder #4 problems? When i was finally able to check the plugs, they had a white burn coating on the metal over the tip. And there was a little oil on the threads on the spark plug. I dont know if thats an indicator of other problems, but thats all that I saw. Im going to try replacing the plugs tomorrow and see if that changes anything.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:09 PM

update, when i pulled cylinder 1 spark plug and there was a little pool of oil at the seat of the plug. I was able to change the plug out w/ a champion plug ( only thing they had in stock at the kragen), and it ran alot healthier. It idled for about 2 minutes before a flashing cel came on w/ the code p1339. Im going to try picking up some iridium plugs and see what it does. Any suggestions on why im still getting the p1339 and no longer p0301? Im also noticing a ticking noise thats pretty loud, but its not coming from the valve cover; more around the pulleys.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eh, what's the term I'm looking for... Your hosed.

P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
p1399 is another funky misfire code from what I can tell.

Did you gap the plug before you put in the new one? You also know that you should have just replaced all 4 instead of mixing that with the platnium plugs that are in the car right? Just because the plug will "fit" doesn't mean you can just put it in. You have to set the correct gap.

btw, oil on your spark plug is not good. White crap is bad too. I don't remember if that's too lean or too rich. Either way, go to the nearest honda dealer NOW. Or you'll really be out of a car.

If you are getting that much oil inside your cylinder you should see blueish black smoke out the tailpipe. Your rings may be leaking or you may have another issue.

Dealership. Now.

Quick Reply: tried pulling spark plugs now a cel, please help!