S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

URGENT HELP REQUESTED!! Soft Top Trim

Old 05-14-2019, 04:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default URGENT HELP REQUESTED!! Soft Top Trim

I am currently swapping soft tops on my s2k (swapping entire frame, so its all out of the car right now). When I was removing the rain rail, a piece of rubber that looks to be bonded to the black plastic molding (74866-S2A-033) started to tear and now needs to be replaced. Is this piece of rubber part of the molding? In order to fix this properly, do I need to remove that molding and buy a new one online?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2019, 07:11 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Post a picture, I did a search for that part number but nothing came up.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:24 AM

It is part 16 in this picture.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:26 AM

Here is another thread where the PN was identified:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-mo...r-help-869090/
Old 05-14-2019, 07:37 AM

Can you post a picture of the actual tear? There are 2 pieces of rubber at the very end of that piece that are stuck to the frame with adhesive, plus the rubber/foam gasket that is glued to the bottom of that piece that meets the top of the trunk. I'm guessing you're referring to the section of that piece that sits inside the well area.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:46 AM

Yes, I will get a picture up here as soon as i get home. From your description, I believe it is the second piece you mentioned that runs along the length of the trim. My guess is it seals the gap between the rain rail and the body.

If you take a look at my extremely shitty MS paint drawing, the red line is kind of what the tear looks like. The red line represents the bit of rubber that is hanging off the trim. The tear happened as I was pulling the rain rail off the studs on the body.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:01 AM

Ok, let's wait for the picture. I didn't need to pull this piece off, but one of the rubber pieces at the tips of this piece did tear off when I pulled the rain rail off, and I reattached it with double sided trim tape. I also would consider high quality silicone, weldwood contact cement, or shoegoo, but please post a pic first before pursuing recommendations., that's an area that you don't want to fail before the next top replacement...

Also, these guys have that piece off in their youtube video, they filled the gasket portion up with silicone because it was leaking. [EDIT: this video is supposed to start at 17:00 min in but the link seems to be going to the beginning, skip to the 17 min mark]

Old 05-14-2019, 08:24 AM

Awesome. That appears to be the exact part that is torn. On a related note, do you have any tips on how to get the trim out? Those guys say it is easy, but after removing the bolts it's being stubborn in my car, and I have read it is very delicate. Does it just require patience and even pressure? It appears as though you have to slide it towards the front of the car to get it off the sheet metal; I will make sure I'm not forcing it in the wrong direction.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:33 AM

Not sure, I'm guessing that pressure wedged it against the bolts laterally, you do need to take the nuts off to remove it. Perhaps the gasket is stuck also. Hopefully someone else who's actually removed that piece can chime in.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Top of thread DIY stickies. Look around and find several threads on top replacement. Good pictures. Over on the North Texas Forum you can find Clovis threads on the subject.

Utah

Quick Reply: URGENT HELP REQUESTED!! Soft Top Trim