S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

weird brake problem..

Old 02-09-2006, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Feb 9 2006, 07:13 AM
just because all 4 tires might lock up simultaneously doesn't mean they won't work.
What I was getting at was, if the front wheel speed sensors used the rears as a point of reference, the ABS wouldn't work if all four tires broke adhesion.

The ABS will kick in to unlock them since your rear wheels are still turning under the same grip (hasn't hit the speed bump yet).
This statement made it sound as if the individual wheel speed sensors used one another as a point of reference. I was merely pointing out that I did not think that was the case.

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Feb 9 2006, 07:13 AM
If you're driving along at 30mph and suddenly you hit the brakes, and all 4 speed sensors go from 30 to 0, the ABS kicks in because of the sudden drop.
This makes sense. I agree.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Feb 9 2006, 08:14 AM
Hey T. Haven't seen ya here in a while. Don't be such a stranger.
I have been offline for awhile. I'm thinking about upgrading to DSL from dial up. Dial up

Meebe I'll spring for an S2KI membership

Good taking to ya Dave
Old 02-09-2006, 09:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To my knowledge it uses both. it works in conjunction with the speeds of the other sensors as well as in general with the module.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:29 AM

You could have one end, or corner of the car become light, lose grip and begin to lock a wheel or all four could become light, lose grip and begin to lock. It doesn't make sense that the wheel speed sensors would work in unison with one another.

Working independently makes more sense to me. The amount of grip or adhesion on a particular corner has nothing to with the rest of the corners.

For example, if the right front started to break loose but the rears as well as the left front were planted, why would those wheel speed sensors have anything to do with whether or not ABS engaged the right front
Old 02-09-2006, 10:42 AM

i think there are a few things we're losing in the communication here, but at the same hand I think I get what you're saying.

basically, the short of it is this. the ABS module watches each speed sensor for decelerations that are out of the ordinary.

i think you were saying that xviper implied that the speed sensors communicate directly with each other. but he never said that. in fact, if anything, he made the point that they are independent of each other, and the ABS module controls everything that happens based upon the readings it gets from the speed sensors.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:51 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The ABS has its own little brain and we can't be sure what sort of algarithms it uses to compute when "unlocking" should occur. I think it'll respond to a sudden change wheel speed and also any detectable differences in the wheel speed of one compared to another (particularly, decreasing wheel speeds).
Old 02-09-2006, 01:21 PM

Roger that.

Thanks guys

Old 02-09-2006, 01:45 PM

hehe, sometimes we are all saying the same thing, but in different ways.

dangit xviper, you have to stop being so confusing!