S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

where to plumb oil temp/pressure sensors

Old 06-19-2015, 06:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default where to plumb oil temp/pressure sensors

I'm considering adding an oil cooler to my FI setup, but I'd like to get some data on oil temp (and pressure) first, as well as have it included in my data logs. Without adding a sandwich adapter, is there anywhere convenient we can add these sensors in?
Old 06-19-2015, 08:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't mind spending the money the PTuning Oil Distribution Block (ODB) always seemed like a good, clean solution to me.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by TerminatioN
If you don't mind spending the money the PTuning Oil Distribution Block (ODB) always seemed like a good, clean solution to me.
I like it, but I wouldn't be able to use their mount as I have a supercharger in the way. Any idea how he returns oil on the naturally aspirated version? I may just have to copy that with a generic block.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That distribution block is simply there for gauges and feeding a turbo. You definitely wouldn't want to use it to run an oil cooler. Your best/only option is to run a sandwich adapter for the oil cooler anyway. As for getting temp/pressure readings, just buy a 1/8" BSPT T-fitting for your block, it'll allow you to feed your oil pressure gauge and run an oil temp gauge if you so wish. If you plan on adding a cooler anyway though, I'd just go ahead and get a good sandwich plate.

To answer your other question, he includes an adapter to return through the oil pan drain plug.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get my oil temp directly from the pan.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanksartell
That distribution block is simply there for gauges and feeding a turbo. You definitely wouldn't want to use it to run an oil cooler. Your best/only option is to run a sandwich adapter for the oil cooler anyway. As for getting temp/pressure readings, just buy a 1/8" BSPT T-fitting for your block, it'll allow you to feed your oil pressure gauge and run an oil temp gauge if you so wish. If you plan on adding a cooler anyway though, I'd just go ahead and get a good sandwich plate.

To answer your other question, he includes an adapter to return through the oil pan drain plug.
Oops, yeah I missed the oil cooler part. Thought he was just going for sensors... Definitely need a sandwich plate for the cooler.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by jordanksartell

For clarification - I wasn't planning on using a distribution block for an oil cooler. I just want a simple (and hopefully cheap-ish) way to monitor oil temp & pressure before possibly adding a proper oil cooler with a sandwich block. I do appreciate the head's up though.

There is an oil pressure switch next to the filter that drives the dash dummy light, and isn't there a pressure switch on the vtec solenoid as well? Since I'm running AEM EMS can't I just ditch those two switches and replace with a pressure & temp sensor, respectively?
Old 06-20-2015, 10:23 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I would dump the OEM oil pressure switch (the dash dummy light will stay off if its unplugged) and feed your oil pressure sensor from there (you'll likely need to get a thread adapter, some line and remote mount your new sensor)

For oil temp you can drill and tap your oil drain plug and put the sensor in there. If you do decide to get the oil cooler you can move the temp sensor to the sandwich plate (and get a new drain plug). Alternatively you can drill/tap or weld a bung into your oil pan for oil temp

PS: don't touch the vtec solenoid oil pressure switch, I believe it's still required
Old 06-20-2015, 01:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As stated above, you can tap pressure where the OEM pressure sensor is. There is 1 wire going to it, which is triggered by a ground source. E.g. when the 1 wire is floating the pressure light is off; when it's touching ground/chassis, the light turns on.

The thread in the block is a 1/8 BSPT fitting. You need to run a short 1-2 foot line from that fitting to the pressure sender from your gauge. I left my OEM pressure gauge unplugged, but you can get a T-fitting on the end of the -4AN line and retain the stock sensor. Never ever connect the pressure sensor directly to the block, as fatigue will cause it to break off due to vibe/mass. Always run a line from the block and connect the sensor remotely.

For oil temperature you have a couple options. 1) Remove Oil pan weld in a bung and connect sensor, 2) Get a drain bolt drilled & tapped with 1/8" NPT threads to accept the temp sensor 3) Get a Tee fitting and mate to the end of the -4AN line above (from the block).

Here's some useful links/part #s

#3230-2-4AN 1/8" BSPT to 4AN Male (to engine block)
Earl 968704ERL 4AN to 1/8" NPT (to aftermarket pressure sensor)

I buy all my Earl hoses and fittings here: http://www.anplumbing.com
BSPT fittings here https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=3230

edit: FYI, oil drain bolt is M14x1.5 Temp senders are usually 1/8"-27 NPT
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES240333/
Old 06-20-2015, 06:37 PM

Thanks again for everything, guys. Some very helpful links

I'll probably try to keep my dummy pressure switch as well, though the mixture of BSP & NPT on the same tee will be a bit of a mess.

For the temperature sensor in the drain plug - it is OK to directly mount this sensor (looks like much less cantilever weight, and going into steel), right?

Quick Reply: where to plumb oil temp/pressure sensors