S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

where to plumb oil temp/pressure sensors

Old 06-20-2015, 06:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My initial set-up used the drain plug method and ran it that way for years on the track with no ill-effects. The temp sensor doesn't actual hang out like the pressure sensor does. Almost the entire length of the temp sensor sits in the drain bolt/pan with near nothing hanging out. The mass of the sensor is very minimal as well.

You can see from the picture below the only thing sticking out would be the plastic connector and the hex portion of the body.

One thing to note is during oil changes, unclipping the harness from the sensor connector takes some finessing. You'll also need a deep socket to allow the sensor to fit thru to reach the oil drain bolt.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I found my old parts laying around. Here's some visual for ya!

Old 07-19-2015, 08:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks again everyone for the help. I've now gotten everything installed, and have another question:

I have the stock pressure switch and AEM pressure sensor on a Tee at the end of 12' of stainless line, coming out of the factory oil pressure switch hole. The only way I could find to route everything and still wire up the stock switch without extending the wire involves the stainless line first dipping down, then running up vertical to where the Tee is mounted. A bit like a big "U".

Is there any concern of air being trapped in that line? I wanted to point everything downward, but had nowhere to mount the Tee and didn't want to bother extending that wire for the stock switch. I know that the air bubble will be under the same pressure as the oil pushing on it, but wasn't sure if the "springiness" of the air might be an issue (or some other issue I haven't forseen).

Here's a pic of how the hose is routed:
Old 01-06-2016, 10:27 PM

how is this setup gong 4 u?
Old 05-07-2016, 01:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm ready to install my oil pressure line and remove the dummy light sender.

I ordered a 1/8 BSP male to 1/8 Npt female adapter.

I'm not understanding if Honda was cool with installing the sender on the block, why would it be a big deal to install the adapter with the new sender in the same spot.

Maybe I'm reading something wrong.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:37 AM

people say because of the weight of the aftermarket sensor, adapter fitting hanging off the block and with high vibrations can cause cracking.

As I am running a Defi sensor, the pitch/thread is 1/8PT, which is the same as 1/8th BSPT (tapered) so it was a perfect fit.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:20 AM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

Buy a good sandwich plate, say Canton, drill and tap two locations on the back side for the NPT thread of the pressure and temperature sensor and add them to the sandwich plate. That's what I did about 4 years ago. Works great.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I need a stiff drink after trying to understand all of these different PT/NPT/BSPT thread sizes and pitches.

I do have a profi sender and after messing around with a GReddy oil sandwich plate I realized my OEM and profi sender threaded perfectly. That meant my sandwich plate that I purchased 2nd hand is a PT/BSPT thread size. When I tried to install my NPT plug it was a NO GO!!!

My only concern is, I installed the PT threaded oil temp sender into my 1/8 NPT bung on my new oil pan. To me, it felt perfectly fine while I was threading it. There are no leaks and I'm pretty sure it will come out with no big deal since the PT/BSPT is a smaller taper than a NPT.

If I understood that PT was not NPT I would have purchased an adapter.

In summary, you can purchase a Defi oil pressure sender, back out the oem sender(need to pop off the rubber boot, unscrew a Phillips head screw, then use a 24mm socket to remove the sender) then install the new Defi sender. The Defi sender takes a 17mm stubby open ended wrench. The best part of all this is, you don't have to do anything with the old sender connection. Just tie it off somewhere and you don't get a light on your dash.

I'm kinda bummed about my oil pan now. I hope I didn't ruin the threads if one day down the road i want to remove the oil temp sender. Live and learn.

Summary, PT(Japan) and BSPT(British) like each other and they tread the same. NPT is totally different than the PT and BSPT!!! Lol.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:46 PM

yes you are right with using defi sensor right into the block.. also i have managed to put a PT/BSPT into an NPT... but you cannot go the other wya around.

as always use some thread sealant/tape