S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

This is why you want a 30 weight oil.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "revered" German Castrol is thicker at startup than everything except for Mobil 1 15w-50, Shell 5W-40, Redline 10w-30 and Valvoline 10w-30 according to that sheet.

Instead of grumping on and on about "10w this" and "30W that", why not look at the hard data? German castrol, by viscosity alone, is providing less startup protection than any other oil except for the ones I mentioned.

If you really want startup protection, install an Accusump and pre-lubricate the engine prior to startup. You can also run oils that contain a lot of additives (typically diesel oils) and additives such as sulfur will aid in oil sticking to engine componenets.

Considering that I race a lot, I look for an oil that has a slightly higher viscosity than desired by the manufacturer because I want the oil to be at the proper viscosity when it matters (high RPM on track).

0W-20 is a first step but I doubt we will see a 30 weight (10 cSt oil) that will stay 10 cSt at 20 C.
Yea that is impossible at this point in time.

I choose Motul because it is a true full ester based oil. Ester based oils are naturally multi-viscosity (meaning no polymers are added to make the oil a 5w-40) and the oil maintains its viscosity/doesn't shear down nearly as quick as a PAO based oil. These oils are capable of true long OCI. Motul also displays very high HTHS ratings. The combination of these two is an oil that can be tracked and can be run for extended periods. I typically run mine for about 6000 street miles.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kolyan2k
Originally Posted by RavynX' timestamp='1329236823' post='21413552
I've tried looking for this Elusive "German Castrol" 0w-30 and still haven't found any in the local stores here (San Antonio, TX). I see the Castrol Edge 0w-30 in the black container but it says "Made in USA".
sold in every Autozone parts store here in MA and pretty much the only oil i use Castrol Syntec 0w30
Castrol 0w30 has been discontinued here, looks like I bought the last 6qt in state...for real ....no more Castrol for me, either Mobil1 0w40 or Pennzoil Ultra 5w30
Old 04-08-2012, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bizkit64
Just read through this and wow some great information. I daily drive my S2000 and spend half of the year in school up in the mountains of Virginia where it can get extremely cold, and spend my summers on the beach in VA Beach. I am tempted to try 0W-30 or would a 5W-30 be good enough year round? Or would say 5W-30 in the winter / 10W-30 summer make sense? Just trying to get the best life out of my car

But side note is it worth the extra $4-5 for the Mobil1 Extended Performance over just the plan Mobil1? (per 5qt jug). I've always just ran Mobil 10W-30 with a Mobil1 filter no problems?
I would buy Honda filter. After all they have a special one for S2k and its same price as Mobil1 Extended Performance. I am also pretty sure Mobil1 Extended Performance is a better construction filter then cheap M1. I used both M1 EP and Honda one.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by kolyan2k
Originally Posted by Bizkit64' timestamp='1333865886' post='21586773
Just read through this and wow some great information. I daily drive my S2000 and spend half of the year in school up in the mountains of Virginia where it can get extremely cold, and spend my summers on the beach in VA Beach. I am tempted to try 0W-30 or would a 5W-30 be good enough year round? Or would say 5W-30 in the winter / 10W-30 summer make sense? Just trying to get the best life out of my car

But side note is it worth the extra $4-5 for the Mobil1 Extended Performance over just the plan Mobil1? (per 5qt jug). I've always just ran Mobil 10W-30 with a Mobil1 filter no problems?
I would buy Honda filter. After all they have a special one for S2k and its same price as Mobil1 Extended Performance. I am also pretty sure Mobil1 Extended Performance is a better construction filter then cheap M1. I used both M1 EP and Honda one.
Sorry I meant to say I do use the Mobil1 EP filter. I bought them at Advance when they had a pretty big sale for $6.50ish each at my local store a year or two ago. I bought every single one haha.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:05 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by nissanfanatic
Considering that I race a lot, I look for an oil that has a slightly higher viscosity than desired by the manufacturer because I want the oil to be at the proper viscosity when it matters (high RPM on track).
I choose Motul because it is a true full ester based oil.
Motul also displays very high HTHS ratings.
The combination of these two is an oil that can be tracked and can be run for extended periods.
During high rpm on the track I think its better to have a 10 cSt (30 weight) oil.
Why?
Because the oil pump, and the oil in the sump, will not see HTHS oil temps (150C), so at high rpm and a thicker oil you loose oil flow into the engine compared to a thinner oil.
The pump bypass will open sooner, it looks at nothing but pressure, and thicker oil will give more pressure.
Syn 30 weights will have a HTHS of around 3, and that is enough, IMO.
A HTHS of 3.5 or even more would be nice, as long as the oil at lower temps doesn't stay too thick and reduce oil flow.

If you're talking about the Motul 300V Power oil, then yes, it has an impressively high HTHS @ 4.52 mPa.s, even for a 40 weight.
What I noticed it the test method though, ASTM D4741.
If you search for this, you'll find the ATSM website, and what they mention at the top of the description is what "bothers" me a bit:
Viscosity measured under the conditions of this test method is considered to be representative of that at the temperatures and shear rates but not the pressures in the journal bearings of internal combustion engines under operating conditions.
The relevance of these conditions to the measurement of engine-oil viscosity has been discussed in many publications.
Now, I'm not saying Motul is trying to cheat, the ASTM test is giving the numbers, no doubt.
Unfortunately there is no comparison chart between the other ASTM- HTHS test methods, so we will never know how Motul will do compared to other ASTM tests.

On a dedicated track car an oil cooler is almost a must, IMO.
And, depending on the money, I would dry-sump a track car before adding accusumps.
An accusump would do nice to get oil flow before you start though
Old 04-08-2012, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
Originally Posted by nissanfanatic' timestamp='1333890098' post='21587076
I choose Motul because it is a true full ester based oil.
Motul also displays very high HTHS ratings.
The combination of these two is an oil that can be tracked and can be run for extended periods.
During high rpm on the track I think its better to have a 10 cSt (30 weight) oil.
Why?
Because the oil pump, and the oil in the sump, will not see HTHS oil temps (150C), so at high rpm and a thicker oil you loose oil flow into the engine compared to a thinner oil.
The pump bypass will open sooner, it looks at nothing but pressure, and thicker oil will give more pressure.
Syn 30 weights will have a HTHS of around 3, and that is enough, IMO.
A HTHS of 3.5 or even more would be nice, as long as the oil at lower temps doesn't stay too thick and reduce oil flow.

If you're talking about the Motul 300V Power oil, then yes, it has an impressively high HTHS @ 4.52 mPa.s, even for a 40 weight.
What I noticed it the test method though, ASTM D4741.
If you search for this, you'll find the ATSM website, and what they mention at the top of the description is what "bothers" me a bit:
Viscosity measured under the conditions of this test method is considered to be representative of that at the temperatures and shear rates but not the pressures in the journal bearings of internal combustion engines under operating conditions.
The relevance of these conditions to the measurement of engine-oil viscosity has been discussed in many publications.
Now, I'm not saying Motul is trying to cheat, the ASTM test is giving the numbers, no doubt.
Unfortunately there is no comparison chart between the other ASTM- HTHS test methods, so we will never know how Motul will do compared to other ASTM tests.

On a dedicated track car an oil cooler is almost a must, IMO.
And, depending on the money, I would dry-sump a track car before adding accusumps.
An accusump would do nice to get oil flow before you start though
My car is not a dedicated track car but it does see quite a bit of track usage. Therefore, the oil probably does reach higher temps than ideal, though that is a very relative term depending on who you talk to.

I am most certainly talking about 300V, and that is what I run.

At around 240*F, my oil's viscosity is about 10.2 and that is about what I want.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-calculator/
Old 04-08-2012, 01:24 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by nissanfanatic
At around 240*F, my oil's viscosity is about 10.2 and that is about what I want.
http://www.bobistheo...ity-calculator/
Do you have an oil temp gauge?
240F sump temps would be a reason for me to get an oil cooler.
What coolant temps do you see at the track?
You're still using the OEM coolant/oil heat exchanger?

Old 04-08-2012, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
Originally Posted by nissanfanatic' timestamp='1333911923' post='21587750
http://www.bobistheo...ity-calculator/
Do you have an oil temp gauge?
240F sump temps would be a reason for me to get an oil cooler.
What coolant temps do you see at the track?
You're still using the OEM coolant/oil heat exchanger?

No oil temp gauge. Going off of data collected on an F20C that is a dedicated track car. I am not worried about 240*F sump temps with the oil I am running.

Coolant temps are at a solid 190*F. I am still using the stock "oil heater".

I am not tracking the car at a level where I want to have a bunch of gauges in the car. If I ever did, I would probably do a Race Technologies logger. I mainly do 10-15min stints and then let it cool off for a while.

I do have an oil temp gauge and an oil cooler on my track car. My track car is street registered, but the S2000 sees a lot of street duty so I don't want a bunch of tacky gauges and crap in the car that detract from an otherwise "nice" looking car. It is too bad that there isn't a way to send oil temp data over the OBD2. I use a ScanGauge to view water temps.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Whoabitchin
So then is the German Castrol too thick for our cars, or is it a true 0W-30?

I have a bunch of it stocked up but is it as good of choice as the Amsoil Ive been using?
I'm sure it is fine. I was just making a point that one shouldn't base an argument off of the numbers on the front of the bottle but rather actual viscosity measurement data at given temperatures.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:25 AM

Noob q.
I bought Royal Purple 10W40.
This no good I gather from this thread?
I live in Perth, Australia so it does get fairly hot yet can be cool in winter.

Am I better off buying another brand of 10w30?
Thanks

Quick Reply: This is why you want a 30 weight oil.