S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

2018 Vacation thread

Old 10-17-2017, 07:52 AM

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,617 Posts
Default 2018 Vacation thread

I looked for the previous vacation thread, but it didn't jump out at me. So, a new year will be here before we know it, therefore I've started a new vacation thread. Plans for 2018? Have you made any?

I tend to be an advanced planner, I like to have vacations listed on the calendar, things to look forward to. We are not ones to go away on the spur of the moment without reservations. Can't do that at this point, at least not while we still have bosses that need to know when we will be in/out.

It looks like 2018 will be a year of "re-visiting" previous vacation destinations. Ally and her friend thoroughly enjoyed the trip to Myrtle Beach last April. I have checked and the condo is available again. It was a lovely condo on a beautiful beach, so we are temping the weather gods and heading back again, hoping they will send some sunshine our way again. April can be very "iffy" in Myrtle Beach, but that's when she is on vacation. To go elsewhere where it may be warm, i.e. Florida, is just too expensive on school vacation weeks, especially the air fare. Ally and her friend are thrilled that we are likely heading back again. It's a long road trip, but they were good travelers. We will NOT attempt a one day drive either way. That was not fun at all.

Ryan is now 11. We were going to wait until he was a bit older to take him somewhere, (but then we'll be older), so we have proposed a trip to Niagara Falls right after he is out of school in June. We took our son there when he was that age he enjoyed it. I'm sure we can keep Ryan and maybe one of his cousins entertained for a few days.

Rick has mentioned re-visiting the Acadia National Park area again and we will contemplate that for September. Our vacation time and budget will be disappearing fast, but it's all good.
The following users liked this post:
dlq04 (03-24-2018)
Old 10-17-2017, 08:04 AM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,565 Posts

I started one back in June, but I guess no one had any 2018 plans yet. Here was my post, so we can continue it here.

"Since I posted a couple of times in the 2017 thread about our Paris to Normandy river cruise next July, thought I would start the 2018 version. Never too early to plan!! I planned that cruise through Avalon Waterways. I'm also planning to book flights soon as the calendar allows (one year in advance). I don't like to leave anything to chance. It's a surprise for the +1, who only knows we are going on an Art and Impressionism trip (art historian on board) and the dates, but not the country or that it is a river cruise. I may have to tell him 30 days in advance (due to security clearance requirements), but hoping to just show up at Dulles the day of departure."

I have since booked our plane flights. Getting a bit closer! Here is the description:

https://www.avalonwaterways.com/rive...?nextyear=true

Last edited by MsPerky; 10-17-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,511 Posts

Other than a few car events we haven't any plans yet. We never know where we will be headed.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:02 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

No plans yet. Having a hip replacement in January, and a 2nd one later in the year. Once I'm clear of those hurdles, I plan to retire. Hopefully, there will be a celebration trip next fall.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:48 PM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,565 Posts

^ You will be ready for one!
Old 10-17-2017, 02:07 PM

Received 4,926 Likes on 2,987 Posts

Definitely not a long range planner, unless you're talking about next weekend.

Becoming a grumpy old man who doesn't enjoy travel like I used to unless its in the MG (imagine that). I'm flying to FL next month; plane travel used to be fun; no more.

I've got lots of Myrtle Beach stories but I can't tell any of them. I'll just say I drove there for years on college breaks. Heck, even took the wife there a few times, since I knew it well by that time!

Last edited by dlq04; 10-18-2017 at 05:52 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:05 AM

Received 695 Likes on 471 Posts

Back to Naples Fl. in Feb/March and maybe a trip to Nashville. We love country music and Nashville is the place for it.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:36 AM

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Definitely not a long range planner, unless you're talking about next weekend.

Becoming a grumpy old man who doesn't enjoy travel like I used to unless its in the MG (imagine that). I'm flying to FL next month; plane travel used to be fun; no more.

I've got lots of Myrtle Beach stories but I can't tell any of them. I'll just say I drive there for years on college break. Heck, even took the wife there a few times, since I knew it well by that time!
Traveling by plane = $$ and lots of aggravations, but sometimes it is the way to go. There are places we'd still like to go, and would have to get there by plane, but it's not happening in the near future. For the heck of it, I looked up air fare to Florida on school vacation. About $800.00/per person.....then you are talking car rental, hotel and food.....nope, not happening. Granddaughter will enjoy SC.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:42 AM

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Vacation/Holiday plans for 2018 revolve around car (Mt Baker, WA run and S2K days) and soccer events (Needham, MA). If enough vacation time is left on the books, next Christmas will be spent in Munich.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:20 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

In that order:Florida,Spring Fling, P.E.I and New-Brunswick,and Portugal and Spain in the Fall.

Quick Reply: 2018 Vacation thread