S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

2018 Vacation thread

Old 10-18-2017, 03:29 PM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire
In that order:Florida,Spring Fling, P.E.I and New-Brunswick,and Portugal and Spain in the Fall.
No, no. . . . you need to stay home and shovel snow off your roof.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:51 PM

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,422 Posts

Joy and I just got back from almost three weeks in Scotland.
2018 is my parents' 50th Wedding Anniversary: we're going on a family cruise in June to the Western Caribbean, then probably joining my folks for part of their timeshare in Kauai in August or September.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:48 PM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Kauai, had to look that up. Nice, 5-star hotel is only $500/night. They didn't mention Holiday Inn Express.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:29 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Kauai is gorgeous. I flew over for a day from Oahu. Took a helicopter tour which was spectacular. The Na Pali coast is amazing. We flew in and out of the mountains with many waterfalls. I saw two completely round rainbows below the helicopter. And the red dirt is famous, as is Waimea Canyon, called the Grand Canyon of the Pacific. I found a roadside stand where I had the best Ahi tuna sandwich ever. That day remains one of my best memories.

The +1 and I loved Scotland. We went there right after we met when he was on business with the Royal Navy. Post pics!

Last edited by MsPerky; 10-19-2017 at 01:35 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by MsPerky
I started one back in June, but I guess no one had any 2018 plans yet. Here was my post, so we can continue it here.

"Since I posted a couple of times in the 2017 thread about our Paris to Normandy river cruise next July, thought I would start the 2018 version. Never too early to plan!! I planned that cruise through Avalon Waterways. I'm also planning to book flights soon as the calendar allows (one year in advance). I don't like to leave anything to chance. It's a surprise for the +1, who only knows we are going on an Art and Impressionism trip (art historian on board) and the dates, but not the country or that it is a river cruise. I may have to tell him 30 days in advance (due to security clearance requirements), but hoping to just show up at Dulles the day of departure."

I have since booked our plane flights. Getting a bit closer! Here is the description:

https://www.avalonwaterways.com/rive...?nextyear=true
Oops...tonight I accidentally said Paris, so now he knows the initial destination. Still not the particulars of the trip - unless I make another slipup.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:07 AM

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,422 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Kauai, had to look that up. Nice, 5-star hotel is only $500/night. They didn't mention Holiday Inn Express.
There are a lot of timeshares (as one might imagine). Deals can be found seasonally if you hunt around on VRBO and AirBnB. However, yes, my folks' place is next to the St. Regis in Princeville.

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Kauai is gorgeous. I flew over for a day from Oahu. Took a helicopter tour which was spectacular. The Na Pali coast is amazing. We flew in and out of the mountains with many waterfalls. I saw two completely round rainbows below the helicopter. And the red dirt is famous, as is Waimea Canyon, called the Grand Canyon of the Pacific. I found a roadside stand where I had the best Ahi tuna sandwich ever. That day remains one of my best memories.
If the roadside stand is in the town of Kilauea, then I know which one it is. I've seen the NaPali coast from boat, and it is that amazing; the NaPali caves are incredible. Having been a few times now, what I say in Kauai's favor is that if you want rough and wild, you can have it, but if you need easy and plush, that's just a 10-30 minute drive away. Also, you can go from rain forest to volcanic desert in 45 minutes around the island.

The +1 and I loved Scotland. We went there right after we met when he was on business with the Royal Navy. Post pics!
I barely have the pics sorted out, but here's one from The Isle of Skye:

Due to the time of year and weather, the light is TERRIBLE for photography. Joy (MFA Photog.) was having fits, and my phone was just not going to meter anything correctly: I shot 2-4 shots of everything to get a well-metered shot.

Last edited by UnkieTrunkie; 10-20-2017 at 10:08 AM. Reason: image re-insert?
Old 10-20-2017, 06:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The only paid for plans are two runs- San Diego and Seattle, both in June.

Unpaid for- S2KDays in SoCal.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:06 AM

Looking for a long weekend in Feb or Mar - usually we tie in the trip with a half marathon the +1 can run. Right now, the only one I see that will work out is Nashville on Mar 3. To be determined...haven't been there since the 70s and the +1 never has been, so could be a good one.

Last edited by MsPerky; 02-07-2018 at 05:47 AM.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Was in Nashville this summer. GREAT time and want to go back.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:02 AM

Next Nov is my other nephew's (the brother of the one who just moved here) wedding in Chicago. It is interesting that he was born with several big medical problems, some related to the heart. The young woman he is marrying is going to med school next year to be what I thought was a neurosurgeon. She really did not like anything heart related. However, now she is getting ready to take a job with one of the top cardiologists in the country doing some cutting edge research. Said it was an opportunity she could not pass up. So we'll see what specialty she goes with.

Quick Reply: 2018 Vacation thread