S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

2018 Vacation thread

Old 05-10-2018, 11:21 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
^ Are you going to go for some Cuban food? I've been wanting to travel there at some point. Love Cuban food. Versailles is the place. Give me a review if you go. Need to make another visit to Key West and to my fave Cuban restaurant there - El Siboney. Yum...
Thanks for the suggestion on Cuban food, MsPerky. If time permits and it's not too far from where we will be staying, we just might check that out.
Rex
Old 05-24-2018, 07:47 AM

Well MsPerky, as luck would have it Versailles was within a 10 minute drive (or less) of our hotel. I would not say I am an expert in Cuban cuisine as options around central Indiana are pretty limited. My previous experience had been limited to a small place that did Cuban press sandwiches.

We did make a visit to Havana Harry's for a post graduation dinner and it was very good. The place was packed and parking very limited, but the food was very good. I had a seafood dish (which I could remember the name) but it could easily have been enough for two people to share. It seemed most of the entrees I saw were equally generous in portion size.

Two nights later we did make it to Versailles. I had their Versailles Paella and it was incredible. Again, the serving was more than enough for one person, but add rice and beans and plantains and it was almost too much food. I would have to say their plantains were hands down the best I have ever eaten. The rice was perfectly done as was the seafood in the paella. Havana Harry's was good, but would have to say Versailles would be my top pick. Thanks for the suggestion Deb, it was well worth it.

Rex

p.s. Almost a week in Coral Gables and saw exactly one S2K! However it was Suzuka Blue, just like ours. Porsches were everywhere. Saw one Lambo parked on the street, and drove by a Ferrari dealer.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:07 AM

Received 2,602 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Thanks for the review! Glad you liked it. I have been in touch with my nephew in Chicago who's getting married in Nov. I was looking for places to eat the Fri before the wedding and coincidentally he suggested a Cuban place called 90 Miles Café. Looking forward to that.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Thanks for the review! Glad you liked it. I have been in touch with my nephew in Chicago who's getting married in Nov. I was looking for places to eat the Fri before the wedding and coincidentally he suggested a Cuban place called 90 Miles Café. Looking forward to that.
I think 90 Miles has been featured on Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-ins & Dives program.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:43 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Still vacationing in Savannah, but we have reserved a cabin at year end for a cruise from Singapore to Thailand, Cambodia and VietNam. Looking forward to it. After our Panama cruise in March, we decided to try another cruise. Hope the seas are as calm for the next one.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:05 PM

Received 4,997 Likes on 3,023 Posts

^ None of those are vacation spots on my bucket list but I hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:31 PM

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Small cruise ship or large one, Dean? My former employer (who previously hated the one cruise he had been on) has done extensive cruising. on an all inclusive line with small ships, no crowds. He has visited the areas you are speaking of. Have a great time.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:01 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

The ship will be exactly like the one we took to the Panama Canal, 1900 passengers. Not too huge, and you can always find places where you are alone. The ship is 1000 feet long, if I remember right.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:41 PM

Received 1,548 Likes on 1,424 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
The ship will be exactly like the one we took to the Panama Canal, 1900 passengers. Not too huge, and you can always find places where you are alone. The ship is 1000 feet long, if I remember right.

That sounds like a good size. My cruise coming up is nearly twice as many passengers on nearly the same length of boat.

. . . I'm in dire need of this vacation.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:55 AM

Received 2,602 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by S1997
One of the things I have planned for this summer is a July cross country trip to Alaska with Coop and his group of merry travelers. He plans to be on the road from Colorado to destinations in Alaska from early July until the end of July. I have been working on a tear drop type trailer for towing behind my Jeep.

It only weighs 1200 lbs and it's powered by a solar panel on the roof.

In preparation I have to have some brackets welded on for Gerry cans, and do some other minor improvements.

All in all, so far, there are about a dozen people in the group. You can talk to Coop about it at Spring Fling this year, since he is registered to attend the Nanuet meet.
Jim - what is your itinerary for this trip? Locations visiting. Not specific dates if you don't want to post them.

Quick Reply: 2018 Vacation thread