S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Ages 8+ (shouldn't it read Ages 58+)

Old 03-04-2004, 04:58 PM

Received 5,098 Likes on 3,073 Posts
Default Ages 8+ (shouldn't it read Ages 58+)

Not many 8 year old's are going to remember this one, but I sure can. So what is it?......... (drum roll)......

1951 Mercury. But, not just any Merc. It's got all the stuff I loved. It's painted in dark black "primer", chopped, chaneled, and lowered, twin large chrome spotlights on each side of the front windshield, full fender skirts, red & black interior including large red dice hanging from the rear view mirror, frenched headlights, wonderfully done suttle shiny black flames with a faint red outline, a touch of pin stripping on the nose, under the headlights and on the back of the trunk lid, a custom front grill of just 3 horizontal bars, a clean front bumper with no bumper guards, dual exhausts protruding through the rear bumper, and plate that reads MOTRHED, whitewalls with full hubcaps in a spiral effect. I think the hub caps (you can only see the front wheels since it's so low with skirts) are the only thing I'd change. I always loved the moon hub caps with a spinner across it. Try to explain that one to an 8 year old.

The car is one of "Road Rats" models. I just bought the 1/24th die cast model today at K-Mart for $10. I've got dozens and dozens of model cars and they are almost entirely of sports cars over the past 50 years. But this one is not. It's a youth flashback for me. It is one of the non-sports cars that truly grabs me. I bought another one of my "early years" "wanted one", also. A 1/18 scale 1933 Ford high boy hot rod complete with leather straps across the hood. But, it was Merc lead sled that I really wanted before I could even drive. I quess I really wanted to be a George Barris, as I use to dream about customizing everything that was around at the time. Then I got swept up by the British invasion!
Old 03-06-2004, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep - this does bring back memories of what I thought of as really cool cars in my early teens. Chopped and channeled, nosed and decked, full skirts, and "moon equipped", Frenched headlights, and "teardrop" spotlights, rolled and pleated interior. The engine would be poked and stroked, ported and polished, running a 3/4 race cam and trips or dual quads, or maybe even a huffer. And let's not forget the eight-ball shift knob - an essential piece of speed equipment.