S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

another mass shooting, Maine this time

Old 10-26-2023, 07:16 AM

Received 3,820 Likes on 3,038 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
I saw an article recently and I'll have to paraphrase.
It raised the question do kids need more freedom growing up?
When most of us were kids the parental instruction was " OUT!!! go find something to do."
Now kids are chauffeured from place to place and all activities are coordinated and directed with adult supervision.
And of course, from a very young age they have smart phones in their hands.
I think phones are a huge problem, social media etc. not just with kids but adults also.
A big issue is that there are people that need to be locked up and kept out of society but it seems no one gets locked up anymore. Look through your local arrest reports and it will boggle your mind. I read one yesterday were someone was pulled over for a traffic infraction and turns out the person had a warrant for failure to appear to court so they arrested the person and then released them that night with another court date.

The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (10-26-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 07:20 AM

Received 1,443 Likes on 967 Posts

Originally Posted by robb
I think phones are a huge problem, social media etc. not just with kids but adults also.
You know, the humor in kinda being squeezed out of life. Especially, social media. Ppl are just so cynical and self-absorbed. So sensitive to everything. Seems that the Internet social life was made for narcissistic people.

Problem with prisons... not enough and not enough personal to staff them. Even bigger problem... not enough mental health facilities, at all levels.
Old 10-26-2023, 07:22 AM

Received 1,211 Likes on 936 Posts

A big issue is that there are people that need to be locked up and kept out of society but it seems no one gets locked up anymore. Look through your local arrest reports and it will boggle your mind. I read one yesterday were someone was pulled over for a traffic infraction and turns out the person had a warrant for failure to appear to court so they arrested the person and then released them that night with another court date.
I just saw another one. 2020 in MN a guy was shopping at Walmart, and suspected of passing counterfeit bills. He had just gotten out of prison for that very thing. He was approached by cops in the parking lot and started a shootout with them. He was shot but survived. He was allowed to bond out and did so apparently. He was arrested later that year for pointing a gun at a womans face and threatening her. He was again allowed to bond out. The next year (Still awaiting court) he was pulled over in Utah with a woman who had a clearly fake license. One thing turned into another and they searched the vehicle. The cops, who I think should be fired, let him sit un handcuffed in a cruiser while they searched and found a bunch of meth in his car. He then took off in the cruiser and got one of the police rifles and started another shootout with them, tried to hijack a civilians car who took off, shot one of the civilians, etc. I mean, how many violent offenses before you revoke bond ???? I mean, there is body cam footage of the entire first shootout. Not to mention the idiotic mistakes by the troopers in the last incident. I just do not get it.
windhund116 (10-26-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 07:36 AM

I will also add, I feel like the majority do not ever want to discuss the impacts of things like social media out of selfishness. Adults are so addicted to it that the last thing they want is to have to be an example and stop or seriously reduce their usage of it And on top of that, seems like adults today have no interest in thinking that MAYBE the way we have raised the past few generations has been wrong. Especially today, the last thing anyone wants is to actually take accountability for things. Everyone wants to pretend it is someone elses fault. But we have to start being honest with ourselves.
windhund116 (10-26-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 07:55 AM

Right now, I hear several helicopters flying overhead. I see a Channel 5 copter hovering. So, I go to the TV and there's currently some type of shooting going on, at an elementary school down the street. I guess someone has been shot dead. This sort of thing is getting more common.

BTW... CH5 had this news piece, while I was watching. Apparently, gangs have been crashing their cars into expensive vehicles on the freeway. Then, strongarm robbing the driver. They are armed with guns and will use them to shoot out windows. So be careful.
Old 10-26-2023, 08:01 AM

Received 3,390 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Our Liberal minded politicians in Canada have created a catch and release program for criminals. You can have 30 charges against you and still be out on the street awaiting some kind of hearing, no one goes to jail or detention anymore. You get caught doing a serious crime they have to release you pending a future court date. Bill c75 has ruined our Country. We had a meeting the other day with our local cops about crime and homeless issues, and it is pretty bleak, no solutions in sight, and they don't arrest anyone.

I am glad I never engaged in social media, I don't have any accounts and I am sure I am happier that way. It has ruined alot of people I think.
The following 2 users liked this post by zeroptzero:
The King (10-27-2023), windhund116 (10-26-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I am glad I never engaged in social media, I don't have any accounts and I am sure I am happier that way. It has ruined alot of people I think.
Younger ppl from Jr High to 35 years old. They just seem to be under more stress and pressure to meet some crazy expectations. Often unrealistic.

There are a lot more 20–40-year-olds, at work that have never had a serious relationship. I think many are looking for Prince Charming or the hot babe that's going to solve all of their problems. You know, one date and to the altar.
Old 10-26-2023, 08:28 AM

I have tried to decrease mine. I have never been a super user but certain groups I communicate with have moved to social media primarily so I go on for those reasons. I try to mainly just stay within those groups though. We even move away from TV more and more as time goes on. When its not cold out, we tend to just sit on the back porch and listen to the crickets Hobbies, being outdoors, reading an actual book, etc are all far better activities.
windhund116 (10-26-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by engifineer
I have tried to decrease mine. I have never been a super user but certain groups I communicate with have moved to social media primarily so I go on for those reasons. I try to mainly just stay within those groups though. We even move away from TV more and more as time goes on. When its not cold out, we tend to just sit on the back porch and listen to the crickets Hobbies, being outdoors, reading an actual book, etc are all far better activities.
Did you notice any changes, when your group switched to Facebook (or whatever media they chose).

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2023, 09:01 AM

Received 3,820 Likes on 3,038 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
You know, the humor in kinda being squeezed out of life. Especially, social media. Ppl are just so cynical and self-absorbed. So sensitive to everything. Seems that the Internet social life was made for narcissistic people.

Problem with prisons... not enough and not enough personal to staff them. Even bigger problem... not enough mental health facilities, at all levels.
You are right about the personnel lacking for prisons, they have really bumped up pay and benefits here for prisons but still can’t get staff so the excuse that they don’t pay isn’t a valid one anymore.
windhund116 (10-26-2023)

Quick Reply: another mass shooting, Maine this time